Tactile Immersion - General Discussion - Hardware & Software

@Hiro Abe
The 40W unit I have is certainly more audible (like a speaker) than the 20W model I have been showing.

With the units, you have try EQ to something like this rough/early draft below. It certainly helps control the low frequencies and tones down alot the audible sound.

hello.

I have decided to test the 2 additional DAYTON pucs I have laying around and taking dust.I want to add one on the back of my seat and 1 under the pedals plate.

open to suggestions on how to do that minimizing the DIY time and ensure it will actually deliver as intended.

For the pedals one, I am thinking either 3M tape solution but would that really last?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKPHZ8/ref=psdc_1069324_t1_B00099E8DM

or going with drilling the plate and bolt+nuts for fixing it like i did for the 2 pucs under my seat fixed on an oak plate

the one in the back seat is more of a concern and headache.I dont want to stick the puck on the outside and mess up the white cover

If you look at the internals of the seat then,I am not quite sure how I would mount it.Adding a plate that I could somehow fix on the frame then the pucs but again, not quite clear yet at how to achieve that

the 2 pucs will be driven by a Nobsound amp knock off I bought yesterday https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B078R3CYSS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as usual on this great thread, advice appreciated

Attachments

• 20190409_220339.jpg
    20190409_220339.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 20190409_220136.jpg
    20190409_220136.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 20190409_220147.jpg
    20190409_220147.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 20190409_220328.jpg
    20190409_220328.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 200
Thanks much, Rod. I played with this for quite a bit last night - playing with crossover and eq settings. Limiting amplitude certainly helped but that's a balancing act of level of sensation vs the noise. It is pretty touchy. At one point, though, it was pretty cool to have the frequency set to the same idle sound i was hearing thru my speakers. Kind of added a surround sensation but one i could also feel to some extent.

I do have my iNuke set to 4ohms/39 watts. I'm wondering if i should try limiting it to something closer to 20 watts.

Going to give this one more try. I'm really hoping i can find a satisfactory setting. My plan is to buy 3 more so i can have 4 of these on the back of my seat.

Thanks much, Rod. I played with this for quite a bit last night - playing with crossover and eq settings. Limiting amplitude certainly helped but that's a balancing act of level of sensation vs the noise. It is pretty touchy. At one point, though, it was pretty cool to have the frequency set to the same idle sound i was hearing thru my speakers. Kind of added a surround sensation but one i could also feel to some extent.

I do have my iNuke set to 4ohms/39 watts. I'm wondering if i should try limiting it to something closer to 20 watts.

Going to give this one more try. I'm really hoping i can find a satisfactory setting. My plan is to buy 3 more so i can have 4 of these on the back of my seat.

Yeah its worth playing around with and your right it's about getting a balance. I have to encourage you to find a way to mix the audio with the telemetry tactile. As it helps engage the user more in feeling sounds that you hear. For me being enclosed with headphones is more engaging than speakers.

Have discovered I need more cables to get the 6 exciters working on the seat. As I have removed my old RCA distribution boxes that I had from my cable chain. Slowly been upgrading the cables to XLR and to suit the more professional Behringer MS8000 distribution boxes. So I need cables from the soundcards - mixers - distribution box and then finally to the amps.

That's a lot of plugs! I'll be curious to see what you decide to do to handle it.

Yeah, indeed it's alot...

Most of audio hardware has been purchased a good while ago, its not all configured yet. As I do need to buy still quite a few cables to cover all the channels being used. Neutrik cables ain't cheaper neither so the price is in the £200-£300 for cables that I may need but the quality is to an excellent standard.

I use Behringer ULTRALINK MS8000 as it lets me take one input and duplicate it to create 4 outputs with no distortion. One feature of my build is the way and number some of the tactile will be used/installed.

So with these duplicators, I can send each duplicate to the amps but use 3 of these for upto (Triple Role Installation). For example, a BK Concert / BK LFE & TST units all receive the same channel output. The difference is the frequency range is being divided via each amp and configured for each units own specific performance/role controlled with the DSP CO/EQ settings of each amp. Its using the best operational capabilities from the best hardware and then making one channel out of 3 units. Is it overkill, yes but it does deliver much better results than any of those quite capable units will deliver on their own.

The 4th output from the duplication process can be used to go to real-time monitoring via DAW on a PC or tablet options. The plan is to be able to monitor every channels full frequency range and operation of the effects via spectrum analysis.

Last edited:
Quick question. If I try to run my soon to be delivered exciters with audio tactile, do I have to run them through the same audio output as the game? I can use a Y splitter with ear buds from the Sound Blaster Z, but I've become fond of running the buds from the Pimax HMD. Is there a way to run game audio from 2 separate outputs, simultaneously?

Off work, today and playing around with the Shakeit Beta using 6 exciters on the back of the seat. Using the DSP amps for now so will look at the Nobsound N20 later.

Placing engine RPM to one set (Lower Back) and then Speed to another (Shoulder) works great.
It's also pretty neat if having an effect work over different channels to then be able to adjust the volumes of each (via output section and per effect gain).

This way you can get a nice spread of the effect with controlled volumes, rather than having the problem of cranking an effect for high volume. In the attempt to have its energy spread more over the surface. This helps avoid the problem of having a volume hotspot and it feeling too aggressive at the units point of installation.

Also enjoying the ability now to create our own layers. So been creating nice feeling effects for "Road Impacts" and "Road Vibration"

Very fun and immersive, got more playing around to do.

Last edited:
I hope you can give us some basic settings to try for the new engine effects, Rod. I'd just gotten used to my old ones that I'd tweaked with your advice and now I have to dive back in AGAIN!

Well, sent the smsl sa-50 amps' back - tried all settings under the sun. The only ways to keep the bass shakers moderately cool/warm with them is to hardly have any effects on - acceleration lateral etc... kills them.

Gone back to my old cheaper amps and all is good as they run cool, the bass shakers run cool with the same settings, and they seem to be as strong - due to moving the bass shakers to a better location.

When it comes to the budget end of the budget bass shaker department they seem to be the weakest link. So I've replaced them with Dayton BST-1 - my logic is the build quality should be better. I will update my findings here. However, I really wouldn't recommend using smsl sa-50 with £30 budget bass shakers imo. :)

I used 2 SMSL amps (160W x 2 model) with 4 x Aura Bass Shakers. These are a fairly budget unit. They were perfect. You shouldn't drive them so hard from the amp. If you're using a cheaper / less powerful amp and everything is fine, running the SMSL amp at a lower gain should deliver comparable results. Also, your effects being always on will have a big impact on the heat and power consumption of the units.

I've posted this in the Shake It Discord, but I'll drop it here too in case someone using the beta can help me sort this out:

Hey guys. I've installed the beta software and trying to use the V3 bass shaker feature. I keep getting a device disconnected on my connected sound card. The old version works fine when I use that one in game. I disabled the output in the old version, and enabled the output in the new version. I can't see anything else that would need changing? I've already pasted the app folder into AC directory previously with the old version. Is there something simple that I've missed? I haven't changed any connections or anything at this point, I don't see why I would need to.

Any ideas would be great. Haven't been able to actually feel the new effects because of this.

Anton, I didn't have any problems installing the beta.
I have seen an issue with engine RPM and some possible settings with the curve feature that seem to disconnect my own card. Try to reset all effects to default and select your card see if this helps.

The EQ option of VMB is what you see above, in nolive721's post. Does the job. You can EQ every channel individually if you want,yes.
I know for sure that EqAPO is more capable, but I am not convinced it is needed to be honest.
Hello

maybe you can confirm one thing for me.

I have just mounted 2 additional pucs, one in my backseat and the other one under my pedals set.They will be driven by another small stereo amp that I should receive tonight

So the Plan will be

• Game audio through TV
  • Left/right vibration, road effects and wheel slide from Simhub with the 2pucs under my seat
  • RPM and wheel lock from Simhub from 1 puc under pedals
  • Acceleration, deceleration, gear change from Simhub from 1 puc in my backseat

I am just not sure if having VMB to manage the 3 audio HW output in combination this time around would work.

Why I am not confident is that to achieve the separation of telemetry capture effects that Simhub allow in my Rig with the 4pucs I have available, I would need to set the Sound card output in Simhub as "Multiple sound card and/or channel" so I am kind of guessing it will not capture VMB input

Sorry, might be a bit more complicated that what you have in your rig but any advice appreciated

thanks!

Another example of how "audio-tactile" can enhance the immersion (not just in sims/games).
Even with these cheap tactile exciters and using 3 pairs in stereo over the back of the seat, the stereo positioning and feeling from the kerbs in this is brill.

*Units restricted to 200Hz crossover.

Try it at 4:35

Using only "simple tones" in tactile based software is missing much of the finesse and additional detail that we can extract from audio. Thats something I feel from this video.

Of course, real audio samples/sounds are much more complexed than just a few tones. Its examples like this that make me want to not just settle with or rely only on telemetry generated tactile. Instead continue to seek and learn to combine both together...

Last edited:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 250 34.3%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 197 27.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 138 19.0%
  • Watch party

Votes: 60 8.2%
  • At a friends house