The Big RACE Freeze Thread

hmm
normally it should not give problems, however.....If you have installed the logitech software that came on the cd (if not mistaken logitech set point), it might give some conflict problems.
If you can use the keyboard, mouse without the the logitech software (while driver will still be installed), then Warren my friend I suggest to remove it and see how it goes

(i myself don't have wireless....everything is wired, just to avoid these things:wink:...and i remember once logitech software got in conflict with a game and messed up my whole keyboard/mouse layout)

Warren

last night I got 2 GTL game crashes while racing online with Minis, as you know my GTL is usually rock solid, it wasn't a computer crash, just GTL has stopped working and I had to alt/tab and stop the process, PITA in Vista64 btw and I'm getting more and more disillusioned with it, only thing different last night was that my connection was a bit up and down, cars showing laggy etc but with decent pings and I assumed, probably wrongly, that the game had waited long enough for an update of info from the net and had just given up in disgust, now, because of the amount of posts I've been seeing with these probs, I'm not so sure.

My box is clean, just done a major upgrade a few weeks ago with new Mem (6 gig OCZ Platinum DDR2 800), GPU (BFG GTX 285 OCX), HD (Seagate 500gig) and went to Vista 64 with all the latest drivers etc. and it has been running decently until this happened so I'm stumped as to the cause but I'm leaning more and more towards Nvidia's drivers and their seeming inability to fix one problem without inducing two more, Nv chipset Mobo too so I'm really at their mercy, I hope someone can come up with a solution soon.

Sam

Warren, your not alone. I have been experiencing numerous system lock up's in GTL recently. I keep my system in preety good shape and have no overheating issues. It has happened in the past in GTRe and rFactor. Only these 3 titles have had issues. ALL my other game titles run without issue for hours on end.

I can confirm since the last update something happened to cause freeze ups in Evo,for me they are very random and often dont happen at all,when they do it lasts about 5-8 seconds then thats it,no more problems the rest of the meeting,it never affects me because it happens in practice session.
I havent updated my drivers in a long time now,last time i did it made stuff worse and i am often guilty of being a slacker in the driver update dept. anyway.

Intel Conroe E6600
Asus P5N 32 E SLi
8800GTX
2Gb OCZ 1066
OCZ 850w PSU

I can confirm since the last update something happened to cause freeze ups in Evo,for me they are very random and often dont happen at all,when they do it lasts about 5-8 seconds then thats it,no more problems the rest of the meeting,it never affects me because it happens in practice session.

Same here : everytime in my first practise/hotlap session of the day, screen freezes for about 5 secs. Then no problem at all.

Do we have an official statement from Simbin for this ? I mean, considering how many people reported this issue, they could have said something like "we're looking into it".

I quit racing Evo because of the freezing, had enough of it. I've tested it on 4 different video cards and 3 different PC's and get the same freezing or bugs....it's annoying as hell a new title like this is so unreliable for some people yet fine for others. + On all those systems I've tested every single other game works 100% fine without a glitch so...

But Warren, your having the same problem in other games now, like GTL, so it points to driver's / hardware.

What I normally do is test each bit of hardware, normally I try another video card in the system, or another power supply / different memory / hdd etc.

But if you don't have spare hardware to test in your system to find the cause you can use other methods for the memory and power supply.

Memtest:
http://www.memtest.org/

PSU Tester:
https://www.onlineshoppingcart.com....cts_id=8242&osCsid=f3l8n2i3qjmvec20vishj39qc5

If you have another video card or a friend with one would be good to test it in your system see if you still get the freezing or not.

Is it possible for you to try a none simbin game also? like rfactor or a none sim racing game? and check if freezing happens or not.

I have/had exactly the same problems as the OP. Lockups were at least once a week. Although the screwed up gfx after recovering from the lockup has been unique to rfactor only, I have also experienced 5 secs lockups in Race/Evo as well.

6 weeks ago I enabled vsync in rFactor and also stopped Steam from loading up in the task bar thingy after booting up the pc. (just wait 5 mins after booting before plugging the adsl line in and 'quit' steam when prompted) I'm a bit stupid when it comes to technical stuff, sorry... :wink2:

So far I have not experienced any lockups yet. Touch wood.

Reason for vsync was just to give the gfx card a bit of a rest and Steam was because I traced my first rfactor lockup back to Sept last year - just about a couple of days after I installed Race07/Steam for the first time on my pc.

8800 card
XP
usb keyboard

• Bert Van Waes

Nope, i never had the freezing problem. And i must say i run some mods:

-GTL conversion
-GTR To GTRe
-Open wheel serie -->f430 996
-FRV8 2008/2009
- some fixes,...

What i do have sometimes is frame issues, but ain't we all having that:giggle:

My map of steam is now 8 gigs large i think...

greets

My freezing / graphics corruption problem has continued and getting worse. But it is definitely not only confined to GTRE / Race 07. My last three GTL on-line races have been ruined by 20 sec freezes.
I've now tried several different video drivers, but no fix yet.

I was running the game today and noticed a significant amount of stuttering. Not freazing, but more like hiccups. Very annoying. out of nowhere never had this problem before....

Same Problem here.

Its not funny to train for league races with this stuttering. The fps without vsync are between 105 and 200 fps. I hope, there is a solution soon.

Regards Peter

I've been away for a bit but have some time now and saw your comment with regards to antivirus. I turned off Avast before playing and I had no freezes at all. I'll have to test it further but you could be on to something. Do you know the technical reason behind this?

Suggestion to test:
In the past you had to create a new ingame driver profile sometimes, especially with a new patch which had some options to another default setting then your old profile.

Could you test it?
Could also not hurt to test with a new GTL profile also, Warren?

Would be also useful if you mentioned which track you experienced stuttering on, how many AI or was it online, which car, which view you're using, if your hardware is questionnable or not. (I mean "possibly guilty", not sure if it's ok in english)

Suggestion to test:
In the past you had to create a new ingame driver profile sometimes, especially with a new patch which had some options to another default setting then your old profile.

Could you test it?
Could also not hurt to test with a new GTL profile also, Warren?

Thanks Ramon,
I'm pretty sure I made a new profile for GTRE with the new patch, but it is worth trying again.
I haven't thought of trying that with GTL, so when I return home from holidays, I'll give that a go. I've also put my gaming PC into the shop to have some hardware checks done (it's still under warranty) while I'm away.
I'm trying everything I can think of to solve this one, but it is a worry when I keep reading about so many others having the same problems.

Thanks Ramon,
I'm pretty sure I made a new profile for GTRE with the new patch, but it is worth trying again.
I haven't thought of trying that with GTL, so when I return home from holidays, I'll give that a go. I've also put my gaming PC into the shop to have some hardware checks done (it's still under warranty) while I'm away.
I'm trying everything I can think of to solve this one, but it is a worry when I keep reading about so many others having the same problems.

Yes I know the feeling mate.
I had the 8800GTS in SLi in the past and got those freezes and lockups. Then bought the 9800GTX out of frustration, still the same issues.
Bought the 4870X2 and never had any similar issue again. Only recently when my CPU was overheating and shutdown the whole PC :) But thats also taken care of :)

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.7%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.3%