The Big RACE Freeze Thread

Heard about a dozen suggestions and tried numerous myself but it persists.
It's the freaking coding of the shitty game. Simbin just utter fails since there are goddamn many people with the problem !!
It comes to a point where you actually don't wanna bother playing it anymore since its pointless to join a race anyway.

Well, here is a new twist in this saga.
I have never had it happen outside GTRE, until now. :tsk:

Last night, I was involved in an on-line GTL event, and suddenly, poof, screen freeze for 20 secs and screwed graphics. Never had a problem with GTL before. After re-booting I rejoined the GTL server for Race 2 and Race 3 and had no problems.

The only thing I have since discovered, I had my graphics set to high antialiasing and anisotropic filtering for some screenshots earlier. I'd forgotten to reset it back to normal.

So, this suggests to me that it has something to do with high demands on the graphic card, and maybe GTRE has increased those demands since the last patch. :noidea:

I solved my problem with getting into my antivirus and set exception for a live scan/real time protection to the save folder as suggested in a post above. Thx a lot.
It seems that the Norton AV is a bit sensitive.... at least on my windows 7 system.

Since the last week, I have no problem with the game.
I changed the settings of Kaspersky restrictions.
"Control applications"/"activity monitoring"/"Configuration"/"Applications".
In folder "low restriction",clic on "move....."confidence".

Sorry for the traduction Engilsh/French.

Help with PC Freezing problem

I have reached the point where I'm becoming very frustrated and hoping for some helpful advice, my PC freezing problem is getting worse.

Over the past 2 months, I have started getting random freezes of my PC when driving, both on-line and off-line. Basically, the screen suddenly freezes, the sound continues to loop at the revs that I was doing when the screen freezes. The freeze usually lasts between 15 secs to 45 secs, and during this time, no keyboard or controller inputs will work. Eventually the PC unfreezes and works again, but most of the graphics are now scrambled. I can then exit the game, restart it, and everything works fine again, and usually I have no more problems for a few days. If I am racing on-line when it happens, my car appears stuck to other drivers.
I originally put it down to problems since the last GTRE Patch, since it only occurred with that game and I had read of many others suffering the same problem. However, it has now happened twice in GTL as well (on-line races) over the past week.

So, I have now concluded that it is not exclusive to GTRE, and therefore suggests something wrong with my system. This is where I am hoping for advice or experience from others who may understand this stuff better.
Does it sound like a sporadic hardware issue, eg. faulty RAM, faulty Video Card, faulty HD????
I dont believe it is related to overheating of the CPU or video card, temp readouts seem ok and the fact that I can restart the game and have no further problems says it is not overheating.

I have tried various video drivers, lowering graphic options, to no avail. I don't get any windows messages when the problem occurs. I have regularly defragged my HD. I've also checked to ensure no dust has built up inside the case. I disable Anti Virus software before racing.

I am planning to take my PC to the repair shop for investigation, but since the problem is so random, I doubt they will solve it.

Maybe a re-install of windows??

My system specs are as follows:
AMD X4 9350e
Gigabyte Ga-m750sli-ds4 MB
4 Gig RAM
NV 9800GT 512 Meg
Windows XP
500 GB HD with 458 GB Free space.
620 Watt PSU
Antec 900 Gaming Case

Any hints or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had that issue today online and offline. I havent had any issues at all recently.

Today was an exception. I got the same graphics lock up/glitch u described at numerous tracks including stock simbin ones.

Bram said it could be dust on the vid card....and Abdul Ahmed said it could be the Nvidia drivers.

I have since put in 181.xx nvidia drivers, and cleaned my video card. Since I did that before the Mini race i havent had an issue, but I am going to note the next time it happens if at all.

Another thing that was causing me major issues in the passed was power supply. So that might be something to consider also.

Hopefully that helps Warren. I hate crashing so much, it ruins the fun in sim racing.

Keith

I had similar problems and tried to install some Omega drivers for the graphic card; it seemed to help. Not 100% sure it was down to that because I had to replace my PC soon afterwards due to a fried PSU so not much time to assess the effectiveness of the "cure", but you can give it a try. Try some older drivers rather than the latest, as your GC is not the most recent, and don't forget to uninstall the previous ones properly using Driver Cleaner.

Hope this helps.

Could it be the graphic card over heating ?

I think I have eliminated this possibility.

I dont believe it is related to overheating of the CPU or video card, temp readouts seem ok and the fact that I can restart the game and have no further problems says it is not overheating.

Here is a wild one, tell me if I'm going bonkers??
I just noticed that when I was typing half the keys were not responding. I use a wireless keyoard and mouse. Easily fixed, it looks like the batteries in the keyboard were almost flat, replacing them solved the typing problem.
Is it remotely possible that a poor keyboard signal could influence the game while driving??
I'm probably clutching at straws, but it intrigues me that others have a similar problem, making it harder to accept that I have a specific hardware issue (although I keep coming back to that).

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.4%