The International Manufacturers Championship '67

I wouldn't be surprised if SimBin created this disgusting feature to always ensure close racing at the front and a fight for the win all the way to the checkered flag.

I wouldn't be surprised, either. AI is such a rabiit hole, companies are still turning out new racing games with terrible AI.

Historically correct 1967 Targa Florio grid format not present in any GTR2 version of the track I've seen. Race start at 8 o'clock in the morning...
[,,,]
The real race had the slowest car class starting first and the fastest last but that would not be a good idea for the game.
The real race, similar to the Mille Miglia, also had the cars start 30 seconds apart rather than all at once. There was no mad dash for turn 1.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this or is this another clueless hardcoded SimBin "feature"? I have tried everything I can think of over the years but to no avail.
This was noted early on in the development of GTRevival. Apart from talent files, the only workaround I can think of is to try adjusting the AI engine power and see what happens.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised, either. AI is such a rabiit hole, companies are still turning out new racing games with terrible AI.
Yes, but 99% of racing gamers do want to always have close racing at the front and a fight for the win all the way to the checkered flag. I just wish SimBin would have left this for the arcade mode.

The real race, similar to the Mille Miglia, also had the cars start 30 seconds apart rather than all at once. There was no mad dash for turn 1.
Yes, although the starts were actually 20 seconds apart. But since this start format isn't possible in game, I think I've come up with best compromise.

This was noted early on in the development of GTRevival. Apart from talent files, the only workaround I can think of is to try adjusting the AI engine power and see what happens.
I can't see how adjusting AI engine power could solve the issue and rather only making things worse overall.

Yes, although the starts were actually 20 seconds apart. But since this start format isn't possible in game, I think I've come up with best compromise.
You might try stretching out the grid so the next car will arrive at the start line 20 seconds later?

You might try stretching out the grid so the next car will arrive at the start line 20 seconds later?
It has already been done and totally kills the immersion by having to start in the countryside without anyone else in sight. You would then also have to calculate the actual results for all 51 cars afterwards. Believe me, my compromise is the best alternative.

In real life, the race quickly became a road race with cars catching up to others and having to try and make tricky passes to avoid losing time.

67186tf-2-jpg.662158

It depends on how strong the built-in rubber-banding is. Slightly slower AI shouldn't be able to catch the class leader.
That wouldn't help as the game would just override the adjustment for any top runner that is within 20 seconds from the lead by letting them go faster in the corners instead. And the "class leader" is also an AI so it would just neutralize everything anyway. It would also screw up the player's racing against the AI, as well as the qualifying which works fine for authentic 1967 lap times as it is now for both the player and the AI.

Does anyone have any solid info on whether GTR2 does in fact have rubber banding hard-wired in?

I've experienced rubber-banding-like behaviour due to RCD Composure but like I don't think I've seen the rubber-banding like you get in Forza or the original GRID.

What I find interesting is that the rubber-banding only occurs towards the front of the field. Any AI car that drops out of being within 20 seconds from the lead isn't affected anymore. And the rubber-banding isn't so obvious when you're racing as it can take an AI 20 minutes to catch up a 10 second drop but it will always happen in the end.

I suspect that you're using non-optimized talent files, unfair and uneven damage files, and faulty (fuel estimate and consumption values) engine files which will indeed make the top AI drivers to finish a longer race with multiple laps between them. However, those file values will also completely ruin the actual racing as well as any realism. And in my case also the historical aspect.

I've started to experiment some more with the start procedure as this is something that is in much need of improvement. Starting lights weren't used in 1967 so these have to go on all tracks and will be replaced by a man starting the race with the nation flag of the host country just as it was done back then. Much of the original GTR2 procedure (animation type, number of frames, and frequency) is hard-coded by the game and creates some limitations but I think my modifications are working well and looking good for a more period correct start experience.

flagstarter_01.jpg

Flag starter seen from pole position

flagstarter_02.jpg

View from third on the grid

flagstarter_03.jpg

From back of the grid

And speaking of not finishing the Targa, here is an interesting series of photos I have compiled of Targa Florio ace Nino Vaccarella crashing out from the 1967 race while in the lead in the works Ferrari 330 P3/4...

nino1.jpg

The very moment of when the car slides into a low wall

nino2.jpg

Policemen are trying to get the car out of the way

nino3.jpg

The body language tells it all

nino4.jpg

"Nino!"

nino5.jpg

A crowd gathered around the damaged car

nino6.jpg

The tyre sliding marks

Excerpt from the 1967 race report in Autosport magazine:

A little later Vaccarella made one of his few mistakes in the Targa: going into a slow left hairpin at Collesano, he misjudged his speed by a fraction and slid out into a little foot-high wall, breaking both right hand wheels and damaging the right hand front suspension. The crowd, who had been cheering him through the village, were absolutely stunned; they could hardly believe that it had happened or, indeed, could happen. Then they pulled themselves together, rushed to the car and removed every particle of broken wheel as a souvenir.

Now I got inspired and think I'll go and have a go at it myself in his car right now...

67224.jpg

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%