The International Manufacturers Championship '67

How do you add custom sounds to tracks?
I tried a few times to add a soundbox, the game crashed or it was mute.
Where do you define the file name and path to the sound file?

I think the only way to do it is to replace already existing sounds. In my case it was an easy decision to sacrifice the air horns since such things weren't really used by spectator crowds in the 60's. There are three air horn files in the game (located in the Ambient folder) and I use two of them for amusement park sounds and one for the concert sounds.

Here's how to do it:

Create a .gmt object and then in the .trk file include the text Special2=(2) like this:

Instance=carousel_sounds1​
{​
Render=False Special2=(2)​
MeshFile=carousel_sounds1.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False​
}​

The game will randomly play the sounds so it will not be the same sequence every lap.

LM-1.jpg

High on the to-do list is to add an additional spectator or two to the pit building...

LM-2.jpg

Car Physics Philosophy

Many of the cars in the game use physics files based on Power & Glory files that I've modified to suit the context of the 1967 WSC season.

When modifying car physics, I always start with trying to find accurate specs on the following three variables for a specific car model:
  • Engine
  • Top speed
  • Car weight
With the engine specs, besides horsepower I also need the info at which rpm maximum effect was achieved. Torque figures are automatically adjusted with hp adjustments. It's also very important to calculate for transmission losses, something that I learnt from P&G. Top speed is always measured just before the Mulsanne kink at Le Mans, no matter if the car actually competed there. Here I'm mainly using the BodyDragBase coefficient for adjustments. Car weight specs are often unclear if it's dry weight or not so sometimes it will be a bit of a guess work.

The P&G tyre files have only slight adjustments for the player but are heavily modified for the AI variables.

As for the handling and balance of a car, a great variable to use here is the LiftParams values found in the .hdc files, but also variables like BodyCenter and CGHeight can be useful. Yes, I know some of the values I'm using here are just "fantasy" figures but I couldn't care less as long as I can perform authentic 1967 lap times together with that the car feels and behave like I would imagine the real car would have felt and behaved like.

I'm also well aware that the eight tracks in the game aren't fully accurate. However and most important, all the tracks have the correct lengths and if one corner is too fast and another one too slow, my impression is that it evens out over a full lap because of the accurate track lengths.

So, as mentioned earlier, a fairly good player should be able to match the real 1967 top drivers and their lap times at all the events, when using the same car.

I'll post a video later of me trying to beat Dan Gurney's pole lap of 1:55.100 in the Ford Mk II at the 1967 Daytona event so anyone can judge for themselves how accurate they think the car is performing and handling.

67003DA-1.jpg

And yes, the exhaust pipes were painted red.

67003DA-2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the table I'm using for transmission loss calculations based on P&G engine file values:

Engine capacity: 7000cc = 0.930 6500cc = 0.925 6000cc = 0.920 5900cc = 0.919 5700cc = 0.917 5500cc = 0.915 5000cc = 0.910 4700cc = 0.907 4400cc = 0.904 4000cc = 0.900 3000cc = 0.890 2400cc = 0.884 2200cc = 0.882 2000cc = 0.880 1300cc = 0.873 1200cc = 0.872 1000cc = 0.870

And here's an example for the Ford Mk II:

520 hp 7000cc 1967 Mk II engine translates to 520 x 0.930 = 484 hp after adjustment.

Fantastic Sebring, the atmosphere and the colors are made just well, very old-style!

A curiosity: how did you do the menu for the car setting?
What are the parameters you put to adjust the car setting?

Chaparral 2F is the only one who has the regulation values of the incidence of the wing (rear), right?

Finally, for the car weights, consider that there is also the weight of the pilot (a weight of 80 kg is usually attributed).

Last edited:
I haven't touched the car setup menu yet so it's still the P&G one and the parameters will basically be the same.

The Chaparral 2F is the only car with an actual wing but the Ford Mk II, Mk IIB, and Mk IV as well as the 2D Chap all have adjustable rear spoilers.

Yes, I'm using a weight of 75 kg for all drivers.

67006LM.jpg

The Ford France Mk IIB with adjustable rear spoiler and a new location for the spare wheel

I'll post a video later of me trying to beat Dan Gurney's pole lap of 1:55.100 in the Ford Mk II at the 1967 Daytona event so anyone can judge for themselves how accurate they think the car is performing and handling.

From the March 1967 issue of MotorSport:

motorsport-3-67.jpg

"With a Chaparral and two Ferraris faster than the best Ford, Gurney’s car was set up as a sprint car. The tyres were changed for some Goodyear short-life sticky ones and the fuel was cut to a minimum for a few laps. Gurney succeeded in getting pole position by 0.26 sec.. but his engine had to be changed afterwards."

I too went with the softer Goodyear SCS tyre which can't really be used for more than a few laps at Daytona as the right side tyres will start to overheat badly on the banking. Also filled the tank with fuel for five laps and didn't hesitate to rev the engine to maximum effect at 6,800 rpm. (The 1967 Mk II engine is sometimes quoted to have reached max effect at 6,200 rpm but Jenks claimed in a contemporary article that it was reached at 6,800 which is good enough for me).

OK, here we go then. (I switch on the HUD after crossing the line at the end to display my lap time). Time to beat: 1:55.100.

So, pushing really hard I managed to beat Gurney's pole lap time by 0.3 of a second. In my experience, pushing the car almost over the limit in corners generates the best lap times as long as you can keep it fairly together over a whole lap.

And for those who wonder why there aren't any driver arms present, the reason is that GTR2's internal driver animation can't handle a 900 degrees steering wheel rotation and it's way more important to me that my real wheel matches the movement of the animated wheel on the screen. And if that wasn't enough, there's also a GTR2 light direction bug most noticeable at dusk and dawn that makes the driver arms and hands appear in the shadow while the steering wheel and dashboard are not and vice versa, something that looks really disturbing.

Last edited:
Excellent choice not to put my arms, think that I always take them away both in the original cars and in all the mods I use, and it is much better, it is more racing!

Good video, would you be able to post one with the Ferrari 330 P4?

It would also be interesting to see a video (such as replay style) of a departure with a few laps, perhaps in Sebring (since on Friday the WEC season begins), so as to see a little bit all the cars fighting, you say this can be possible?

P.S. Ah, a small note: between the first and second curve of the Daytona circuit you should remove the threads and poles of the light, because if I'm not mistaken they were not there. For the rest as always all great!

It's too much left to do in the game for any representative trackside AI videos at this time. I might do one with me driving the P4 though if feeling inspired.

Last edited:
And speaking of me driving, I'm a happy desktop racer with matching black/chrome gear from Fanatec (ClubSport Classic wheel and CSL DD wheelbase), Thrustmaster (TH8A H-shifter), and Logitech (G25 pedals). I also use a Dan-Form armchair that goes really well with many of the cars in the game...
Dan-Form-Embrace.jpg

FWIW, probably the most complex and involved mods I know of are for the old Elder Scrolls games. There is "Morroblivion", and attempt to completely recreate Morrowind on the Oblvion engine (better graphics, better sound, better animations, better effects, etc.); this has been an ongoing project for about twelve years now, with probably never more than 6-8 people working on it at a time, and I doubt anyone currently at work on it was there even six years ago, much less at the start. Best I can tell the project is maybe 80% complete. There is also "Skywind" and "Skyblivion", attempts to create Morrowind and Oblivion on the Skyrim engine.

One of the biggest things that wastes time of creators of mods like this (I refer to Morrowind/Skywind/Skyblivion) is the licensing rules enforced by Bethesda, a modder can't use Oblivion stuff in Skyrim even if he/she augments it to a higher standard, there we have a problem, it all has to be recreated bit by bit with just a handful of unpaid volunteers in their spare time, (modders have lives too)
Personally I'd like to see the likes of Bethesda objectively helping 'modding houses' to create large mods that will undoubtedly help sell more games and show 'goodwill' to the fanbase by waiving part of the licence for certain projects.

Yeah, for some of Gurney's cars the teams even had to make a bump in the roof for his head to fit. And that definitely also was the case for Colin Crabbe...
So that's what it is, interesting. I've noticed the roof bump on some GT40's in photos and have wondered if it's some kind of aerodynamic thing...but a head room makes sense.

motorsport-6-67.jpg

Excerpt from the 1000 km of Monza article in the June 1967 issue of MotorSport:

"Although there were 41 starters it was really a three-car race, the two P4 Ferraris against the Chaparral. Bandini, Parkes and Spence led off at a furious pace from the two-by-two rolling start with the Chaparral actually in the lead, its aluminium Chevrolet V8 engine making a low rumbling noise from the pair of four-inch diameter exhaust pipes in direct contrast to the high-pitched scream from the four small-bore tail pipes of the 12-cylinder Ferraris. For lap after lap Bandini and Spence were wheel to wheel, sometimes side-by-side, sometimes one behind the other, and always with Parkes just behind them, waiting to take over the challenge should anything happen to the leading Ferrari."

I'm driving the Parkes/Scarfiotti car...

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%