The International Manufacturers Championship '67

A small request: can you put in the competitions of Daytona (car nº23) and Monza (car nº3) as the first pilot the legendary Lorenzo Bandini with its red and white helmet that I use in 1967?
He was decisive for those two victories. A legend.

Lorenzo Bandini is a favourite of mine as well but the game is using the names of both drivers just like it was officially done in 1967:

However, you can easily edit the two drivers' shared talent file and decide which one of them you would like to have as your co-driver:

Car/Driver Info: Ferrari 330 P3/4 : Daytona 023
Abbreviation=Bandini
Nationality=Italian
NatAbbrev=I

Can‘t wait to see this project released. Thank you.

It might never be released though. First of all, I will have to finish the game which will most likely take years if it ever happens. Then I'll have to get all the necessary permissions for using and modifying a lot of stuff originally made by others. And wasn't one of the reasons that P&G closed shop that they were contacted by lawyers representing the current owners of GTR2? On a positive note though, the longer it takes for me to finish the game, the bigger chance that any 3rd party content creators or GTR2 rights holders will not care anymore.

This seems to be stolen work. I am the creator of the 1967 WSC mod for GTR2 which can be found on evolution-modding. There are development threads of the mod documenting every step of it's development since it's initiation in early 2020. The mod was also (rather famously) used by and referenced by GPLaps in his 1966 season campaign videos (Daytona, Sebring, Targa Florio etc).

The person who posted this thread hasn't asked me or anyone else involved in the mod for permission. The mod is still WIP and hasn't been uploaded anywhere outside of evolution-modding and trackaholics.

I'm not exactly familiar with the correct procedures involved when someone is using your work as their own without permission or any mention of the original creator/creators, i would very much like to get an opinion of a RaceDepartment admin on the matter at hand.

Now you're disappointing me, NP.

From the very first post of the thread:

"... there's also lots of stuff originally made by others [...] If I ever get to finish the game, I would be happy to make it available here if I would get all the necessary permissions."

Now you're disappointing me, NP.

From the very first post of the thread:

"... there's also lots of stuff originally made by others [...] If I ever get to finish the game, I would be happy to make it available here if I would get all the necessary permissions."
If you wanted to do this the proper way you would have contacted me about it first and then (given the permission) went ahead with a post like this. Besides you didn't even bother mentioning me, bonnier, BorekS, or anyone else from the credits. Saying that there is "lots of stuff made by others" and then saying that you have been working on it for 10 years is disingenuous at best. If you are really willing to put work into it, go over to evolution-modding and let's have a discussion of what you could do to help. If, however, you are just waiting for us to finish the mod before you can finish your "game" (i suspect you said that you don't know when or if you will be able to finish your project - basically because you don't know when or if we will finish the mod), then i don't have anything else to say to you.

Why on earth would I have to contact you and ask permission to use and modify your publicly available cars for my own personal game?!

What's really funny is that you went ahead and made your unfinished mod available for anyone to download without asking permissions for a lot of the stuff made by others that you included in the package.

And I'm "bonnier" by the way.

Why on earth would I have to contact you and ask permission to use and modify your publicly available cars for my own personal game?!

What's really funny is that you went ahead and made your unfinished mod available for anyone to download without asking permissions for a lot of the stuff made by others that you included in the package.

And I'm "bonnier" by the way.
You could have made your identity clear...

I got permissions from everyone I could (everyone who is still active and reachable): the Absolute LM team, BorekS, the GPLegends WSC67 team, MG, ff94 etc, etc.
And i didn't make it available for "anyone to download" i made it available for the evolution-modding community because of the scale of the project, i needed help and feedback. I didn't intend for the WIP mod to get the publicity it did with Jake (GPLaps) finding and using it in his videos.

There is no issue using stuff for your own game of course. However, i would like to be informed first of anyones intentions to use my work in a full on standalone game (intended for possible release). That even includes you.

I think it's generally positive that you are showcasing our work here on RD, you just should have used the nickname or identity everyone knows you by, to avoid stupid misunderstandings like this...

Last edited:
This thread is all about my personal game until the day I'll make it available to the public which is not going to happen unless I get all the necessary permissions.

Simple as that.

This thread is all about my personal game until the day I'll make it available to the public which is not going to happen unless I get all the necessary permissions.

Simple as that.
And that's fine, i just don't get what all the secrecy is about..

Look, i love the idea. With all the installation issues people were complaining about, CTDs and what not, if it was ever to be released, a standalone game is probably the way to go. I also like your style, the logos, the posters, the mechanics. Would like for it to keep the multiplayer though :D

I said it before and I'll say it again, you are The person to lead a project like this and I would like to support you in any way i can. I'll get a new PC very soon and if you need a 3D model done, some skins, maybe some physics feel free to let me know (over at E-M), I'm sure that I'll find the time for such "smaller scale" tasks.

More game philosophy...

As mentioned in the game features above, a fairly good player will be able to match the real 1967 top drivers in the same car at each race event. A realistic and natural consequence of that is that if you drive a slower car with a less good 1967 AI co-driver, you'll be significantly faster than him just like Dan Gurney or Lorenzo Bandini would have been in real life. This also means that a less good player can still be competitive within a team if he chooses to drive a car with a less good 1967 co-driver. Another aspect is that the car physics (like weight and balance) and performance (like engine and brakes) of a car in game becomes less competitive the smaller the team is, which is achieved by having different sets of physics performance files allocated to the cars. As an example, I have made 3 different sets of files for the Ford GT40 MkIs, as the cars' lap times at the 1967 events did vary greatly depending on the size and funds of the teams (and of course its drivers).

Set 1 = Works (Factory team / Big private team) or (Medium private team at "hometrack")
Set 2 = Private (Medium private team) or (Small private team at "hometrack")
Set 3 = "Street" (Small private team)

67011DA.jpg

An interesting side note about the J.W.A. GT40 MkI entries for Daytona and Sebring is that they were supposed to enter the new Mirage M1 but the car wasn't ready yet (and instead got its debut at Monza). I've read that the GT40 for the two U.S. races had to be hastily purchased and upgraded from a more or less street version MkI, making it one of many cool historical scenario challenges for the player to take on in the game.

This seems to be stolen work. I am the creator of the 1967 WSC mod for GTR2 which can be found on evolution-modding.

I just realized that you make it sound like I'm basing my game on your mod when in fact the only thing I'm using from it are the cars and skins you did.

I just realized that you make it sound like I'm basing my game on your mod when in fact the only thing I'm using from it are the cars and skins you did.
I wrote that comment assuming this post was made by someone outside the people in the credits. And even so, I was the first one to come out publicly with the idea of a full, race by race 1967 season. But, yes I know that it's not like i invented the wheel or something....
I know that you have been working on your game for basically a decade, you told me that a few times over at E-M.

Can we now stop bickering, it's pointless, i don't understand why you are mad, you should have just made your identity clear and this whole drama would have been avoided...

The reason I brought it up is that I got the impression that people here now think I'm just using your whole mod for my game.

And what identity? "bonnier" is just something I entered several years ago when creating an account to download something. Or do you mean that I should have mentioned in the first post of the thread that I'm the guy behind the track updates in your mod?

... And wasn't one of the reasons that P&G closed shop that they were contacted by lawyers representing the current owners of GTR2? ...
P&G's modifications did not contravene any licensing issues with GTR2, any more than other physics mods, ui mods, graphics mods, etc. You still needed the base game installed to use the mod. (It is when you release a "mod" that includes enough of the base game that purchase of that game is not necessary that you attract the lawyers. Or release a mod including cars from a completely different game; there were some on Nog rip years ago using cars from some console game, the game manufacturer wasn't happy and would only allow the mod if it came as an installer requiring the console game disc to be in the PC ...which effectively killed the mod since many of us were not going to pay for a game that was otherwise unusable on a PC just to get a few cars from it.)

The GTLW group just dwindled as members moved on to other projects (Aris, who did most of hte physics, went to work for Assetta Corsa, a couple of the 3D modelers disappeared, etc.); those remaining did not have the combined abilities to complete the next stage of development so released what was done at that point as "V3.5". From the first release to the last was a span of about six years, a long time for a bunch of fans to stick together on one project.

As to this thread, I rarely pay attention to WIP, all too often vaporware.

In this case, since you state the mod will never be released, what is the purpose of the thread? "Hey, look at this great mod I'm making! Which you can never have."

The reason I brought it up is that I got the impression that people here now think I'm just using your whole mod for my game.
And what identity? "bonnier" is just something I entered several years ago when creating an account to download something. Or do you mean that I should have mentioned in the first post of the thread that I'm the guy behind the track updates in your mod?
Well yes and NPanic is also just my name initials which i don't like and would gladly change to a fancy nickname, but i won't do so because i already have used it in a major project in the community.

Well I'll happily clarify for people reading if there is any confusion: the reason why projects like ours are possible is because the GTR2 community has been on it, making mods, conversions and in general historic content for, what is it, 15 years now? Even though these procjets include 50+ cars, for the 2 years i have been working on the mod i have made ~14 cars (with varying body styles for different entries, a bunch of skins as well as physics work). That's the scope of my work and the way i have contributed to bonniers game. I have also done a lot of script work and putting everything together but so has bonnier, in fact he has done a lot more work in that direction and he was a major consultant for me as he is way more experienced with gMotor games. I hope this clears any illusion that this is "just my work".

Turns out we have had the same idea, only that i have had it many years after him, though I was the first one to come out with it publicly.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 2 33.3%
Back