The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

preview.jpg
Early Version of my new league skin, Im still in love with Marc VDS :D

Last edited:
Right, only whatever was already doable in the setup screen.
Gotcha, that would certainly work (seeing as wheels/tyres and aero can be changed to suit via car setups)

What would be neat is if the setup settings/choices were determined by skin, for example you have 2 lots of tyres (one lot 15 inch rim and the other 16 inch), but depending on the skin/mesh combo chosen only the corresponding tyre setup can be chosen. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's possible to do that

regardless it will certainly be a great feature to have as is, I look forward to seeing more in the future;)

Currently it's not but the way the shader patch is going I wouldn't be surprised if x4fab comes up with some way to restrict setups by skin if that's a useful feature.

Recently hired to build Calabogie Motorsports Park for AC. I received 17GB of ground LIDAR data the other day and started working with the data to learn how to process such an enormous point cloud. I will start a proper thread at some point. The track will be released for free on completion along with all source data including the LIDAR scan.

Full point cloud in Blender
unknown.png

Also as a side note I have some public aerial LIDAR for this track and I was amazed as to how much of a perfect match it was to this new ground scan data. Granted is isn't near as detailed but it proves that an aerial scan type track like the two I have done is a very accurate method of track building.

I was at Calabogie a few years back for a Motorcycle event. Wonderful circuit in a beautiful area. It's nice to see they're doing some actual racing here now, rather than just track days and private events.

It's a great layout for bikes, tons of fun, but not nearly enough run off. It looks like they've pushed some barriers back since I was there. We ran the full layout and a few guys absolutely demolished their bikes at T1. Like, loading parts into plastic bins to carry them back to the pits demolished haha.

Recently hired to build Calabogie Motorsports Park for AC. I received 17GB of ground LIDAR data the other day and started working with the data to learn how to process such an enormous point cloud. I will start a proper thread at some point. The track will be released for free on completion along with all source data including the LIDAR scan.

Full point cloud in Blender
unknown.png

Also as a side note I have some public aerial LIDAR for this track and I was amazed as to how much of a perfect match it was to this new ground scan data. Granted is isn't near as detailed but it proves that an aerial scan type track like the two I have done is a very accurate method of track building.
What an amazing new project you got there Likski!:)
You've been hired by the track owner?

thought this may come in useful for you man.

autocar at charade old circuit.

Les Grands Prix de F1 a Charade (French) Hardcover – 2006
by Pascal Legrand

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0954676726/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep finding little nuggets of information, the more I look. I found an old video of a Simca race only last week, which had a few seconds of on-board footage - I was so excited when I saw it! :D I can send you all my reference photos if you like :)

And tonight, having 'finished' my track layout and terrain, I found an aerial photograph of the old circuit that showed a different corner line entering Tertre de Thèdes :( They massively increased the corner radius when they made the new circuit, and that's the LIDAR data I have been working from.

SDcOiGX.jpg

Back to work tomorrow, I guess :rolleyes:

My next track for AC, another old circuit from 1950s Germany - Battenberg-ring :) 12.5km of undulating public roads flowing through the Germany countryside with 123m of elevation change :inlove:

JafzI8a.jpg

xUAXYwH.jpg

So far I have the road in place but no physical mesh yet, all the grass verges in place, sculpted and welded to the terrain, a few place-holder TSO, and 64,000 low poly trees (split into deciduous and evergreen areas).

Rjt4k9c.jpg

FrOZo8o.jpg

yaovV24.jpg

I learned a lot making Feldbergring which has made this project much quicker and easier to do :thumbsup:

Yeah, but just as awesome! From what I have read it was only ever used for motorcycle racing, but once I'd got it into AC I couldn't resist trying to make it for cars.

It's a hell of a ride, with some wonderful, flowing lines, quite a few blind crest, three hairpin turns (at road junctions), a village to drive through, a quarry... lots of interest.

I works really well with most types of car, too. I started out testing with the 250F 6-cyl, and as I learned the layout and gained confidence I moved on to aphid's D-type, 718RS60, and eventually the 935/78 (so much fun!) and the 962c (which I did the 12.5km lap in just under 4mins :confused:)

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.7%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.3%