The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

A baby is born!
All is done but lods.
I dunno if physics is so realistic, some data i found was good, suspensions are the main problem.
For sure it run very nice and really fun to drive. My mini challenge's man is very happy with the result.
James Gornall, last mini uk challenge's champion, was so kind to give me all the setup possibilites for car and by rules. So excited to see it running in a league
View attachment 335949

Is that wheel a MOMO F1 V35/c by any chance? I ripped it out of an E30 I bought a few years back, it was way too small for daily driver duties but a beautiful racing steering wheel none the less. Had the Benetton Racing horn button in the center too :).

Thought I should make a skin that matched my driving skills, scrappy at best. MX5 Cup

b.jpg

Your weathering tex/materials skills are very impressive. That said, if you took out a bit of the depth on most of your corrosion/scratch areas it would more closely align with the thin sheet metal cars use in real life. Your surface looks more like iron or steel and you've nailed that look but that is not the body panel material which in case of the rear bumper is actually plastic.

Your weathering tex/materials skills are very impressive. That said, if you took out a bit of the depth on most of your corrosion/scratch areas it would more closely align with the thin sheet metal cars use in real life. Your surface looks more like iron or steel and you've nailed that look but that is not the body panel material which in case of the rear bumper is actually plastic.
Thanks very much, you have a good eye for detail. I did keep working on the texture before release and got it a bit closer to where I wanted it, although I did fail to notice the back bumper should really be plastic.
Also as ive no way of adding to or altering the normal/height map for the car "in game" then with the final skin I faked the corrosion depth with a simple white line highlight and inner drop shadow just painted on. Also helped to tone down that bumpy iron style effect and looked a bit more like car paint. Specular/reflections was another head melt but close enough for me.

Final skin here: Scrapyard Mazda MX5 CUP Skin

btw a "cheap" trick is you can make a bump/normal map and then use it's green channel for example (just invert it if it's standard DirectX tangent normal map) and apply it to the main texture with Linear Light blending mode and some semi-transparency.

Unashamedly raising the bar once again and I thank you for it. I think I know where most of my virtual km will be driven at next year. :whistling:
I don't claim to know you or anything of your virtual driving abilities, but it might just take you that long to do a clean lap of the place much less learn where you're going. I still find myself scattering my digital guts across the lovely French countryside from time to time... :roflmao:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 60 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.2%