The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Hi I am new to modding and trying too place analog meters in a classic car where some has put a modern racedisplay in.

I managed to get the clocks and needles in with 3DSIMED, but the needles won't move in the game. I have put the names of the needles in the analog.ini, but no movement. Any tutorial here?

Hi I am new to modding and trying too place analog meters in a classic car where some has put a modern racedisplay in.

I managed to get the clocks and needles in with 3DSIMED, but the needles won't move in the game. I have put the names of the needles in the analog.ini, but no movement. Any tutorial here?

Only info I know of is in the pipeline document in the sdk folder (Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\sdk\dev\car_pipeline_2.0rev), look at the first bit of chapter 4.

Generally you have to parent the needles under what's known as a null or an empty, an invisible object that defines a specific 3d point on your model, that empty has to be parented under the COCKPIT_HR empty, AC then animates the empty to move the needle. Also the needle empty has be to rotated so that it's rotating on the local Z axis. It's a bit involved but it works well once you get it set up right.

I don't use 3dsimed so I don't know if it can do all that or if it's something you can only do in Blender or Max.

Exactly what @Nicecuppatea mentioned. You need these axis before you export to the editor with the right object/empty names and AC will then assign them - that is what the .ini is for. If you don't have the empties the .ini will have no reference to your needles.

Here you see the axis:

2OjpIXx.png

In local view with Z up, needles then rotate along local Y.

Te1O4qE.png

I doubt that CM can do that for you without putting the empties in and parenting the needles to them but with CM you never know :).

Oh and thanks for asking that question, made me go back to my needles and I finally found my error which lead to the needles turning along the Z axis - it wasn't that my empties were in incorrect rotation I had just assigned speed to rpm and vice versa...yeah that can't work.

Good luck with your return to analog needles!

i'm afraid this is beyond my understanding, but thanks for explaing it. I may try copying a working cockpit fron another car, and changing the aces with mine.

Last edited:
What is this null object? just a piece of clear material?
A null object is a specific object you can spawn in (most?) 3D software, which games and whatnot will reference for some functions. They usually need to be named something specific, and won't have a material usually.

Before you try to get into modding and editing, look up some 3D modeling, game 3D modeling and terminology basics guides. Nothing you can really do now will be any good and it's gonna be painful if you have to go through this every time you do anything. You'll have to do it thousands of times. Just study a bit instead.

I took a look at he Arrow, The Z-axis point upwards, not forwards. Is that the problem?

I think that's just the mesh's orientation, you need to parent it to an empty/null. Think of it like a box that contains the needle mesh, when the box moves the needle inside moves too. AC has a list of specifically named 'boxes' that it will move in various ways if it finds them.

You might be able to create an empty in Blender and then import it into 3dsimed but I don't know if 3dsimed can do the rest for you.

Back to my next Tours car after getting sidetracked updating the other ones, haven't done much since I last posted a pic and there's still a few bits of the overall shape that I keep changing because I haven't got enough references:

fiat805_405.png

Did find a few more good pictures on Bing the other night, this one's not particularly useful but I thought it was interesting to see Monza in 1923. I think this is the old banked curves before they redid them in the fifties, might be wrong though. Benz Tropfenwagen in the background too, another odd but advanced car for the time.

Also, driver and mechanic seem to have lost their heads somehow, they were tough in those days, lose a head and just keep on racing.

cart048e2.jpg

Made myself a little checklist and then started completing it in priority order... there's really not all that much left to add to this one, the interior's pretty spartan and the only exterior item yet to add is mirrors (every chassis appears to have had different, multiple, types, gotta pick one).
XHKQZvr.jpg

FZKi8Ke.jpg

added
- blurred rims
- gas tank
- gauges
- steering wheel
Thanks @Fat-Alfie for help with the steering wheel logo.
Not sure why the "oil pressure" gauge (actually oil temp, since AC provides that) is reading 0.

I can't tell if they rotated the tach so redline is up, or 0 is down, very close to the same thing since 6500rpm is 180 away from 0.

Last edited:
Made myself a little checklist and then started completing it in priority order... there's really not all that much left to add to this one, the interior's pretty spartan and the only exterior item yet to add is mirrors (every chassis appears to have had different, multiple, types, gotta pick one).
XHKQZvr.jpg

FZKi8Ke.jpg

added
- blurred rims
- gas tank
- gauges
- steering wheel
Not sure why the "oil pressure" gauge (actually oil temp, since AC provides that) is reading 0.

I can't tell if they rotated the tach so redline is up, or 0 is down, very close to the same thing since 6500rpm is 180 away from 0.
that's a super tiny steering ! Must be quite touchy to drive

XHKQZvr.jpg

FZKi8Ke.jpg

added
- blurred rims
- gas tank
- gauges
- steering wheel

It's probably no secret that I think this thing is just smashing, but I do have one question for you. I was wondering, given the era this thing raced in wouldn't an open face helmet with goggles be more appropriate for the driver? Not attempting to be critical here...your work with Subaru and fruit notwithstanding, what you're doing here is most excellent...

Last edited:
Any Blender user here able to tell me where these scratches in the render come from?

hX3HDcd.png

I've checked everything and can't figure it out. Materials, object settings, it's all the same but the lights have the scratches. The hood had the same issue and it went away but I don't know why :D

It's not crucial as it's only in Blender but still it drives me mad.

In other news I've now replicated the pop up headlight rotation axis on the left.

When I was testing the 'mirrored' side rotated in exactly the same weird fashion as it did in the editor so it seems the editor does not like a mirrored rotation axis if it is different along Z. They now rotate equally with a rotation limit of 21 degrees upward.

UHm4uu8.png

Reactions: SVS
The problem with the non moving arrows turned out to be quite simple:

Everything you have done, was correct. The only issue was, you had this in analog_instruments.ini

[RPM_INDICATOR]
ZERO=0
STEP=0.0343
OBJECT_NAME=ARROW_RPM
MIN_VALUE=0

[SPEED_INDICATOR]
ZERO=-30
STEP=1.503
MIN_VALUE=20
OBJECT_NAME=ARROW_SPEED
OBJECT_NAME_MAX=

...and it needs to be this

[RPM_INDICATOR]
ZERO=0
STEP=0.0343
OBJECT_NAME=arrow_rpm
MIN_VALUE=0

[SPEED_INDICATOR]
ZERO=-30
STEP=1.503
MIN_VALUE=20
OBJECT_NAME=arrow_speed
OBJECT_NAME_MAX=

Assetto Corsa is very picky about upper and lower case letters. You have to make sure the object name is exactly the same, as it is shown in the object list in 3DSimEd :thumbsup:

Thanks Luathas, you made my day!

XHKQZvr.jpg

FZKi8Ke.jpg

added
- blurred rims
- gas tank
- gauges
- steering wheel

How much time do you figure I've got to finish the liveries?:confused:

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 65 38.7%
  • Porsche

Votes: 63 37.5%
  • BMW

Votes: 51 30.4%
  • McLaren

Votes: 41 24.4%
  • Toyota

Votes: 67 39.9%
  • Intel

Votes: 20 11.9%