The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Tried some photomatching, and modeling in Blender :D
NbKCnub.png

CPkIwPg.png

zs5R8G2.png

rPJMJl4.png

2020-07-16_5.png

I wanted to share this ,

I am literrally blown away by the technique of the guy , using the curvature tool to clean up the surfaces or sections , or having the complete history flexible without loosing quality :o
That model reach almost what we can do in Nurbs modelling , never seen such quality from a poly model :o

What do you think about it ?
I would like to get that curvature check tool script ^^

You are talking about the dashboard I guess ?

I am just a bit confused , you show a pic of the door , but you are speacking about asymetrie ?

Nope I am in fact talking about the door panels :). They are symmetric of course but have a number of differences between driver and passenger side. Symmetry was the wrong word what I meant was the way that shoulder line is sweeping across the air vent and many other things that are just far away from a simple door panel which make this so much #fun to model :). It remains to this day the coolest door panel they ever designed,

839GIa7.png

Just leaving this clay shot here to remind me what a mess it was once I post the finished leather wrapped, wood covered, speaker grill and chrome trimmed finished product in a few days :roflmao:

Last edited:

I wanted to share this ,

I am literrally blown away by the technique of the guy , using the curvature tool to clean up the surfaces or sections , or having the complete history flexible without loosing quality :o
That model reach almost what we can do in Nurbs modelling , never seen such quality from a poly model :o

What do you think about it ?
I would like to get that curvature check tool script ^^

Coming from a Solidworks background, the lack of real parametric modeling in Blender has been my biggest struggling point. I work non-destructively as often and for as long as possible, and so far that's proven to be very difficult for me in poly modeling.

Coming from a Solidworks background, the lack of real parametric modeling in Blender has been my biggest struggling point. I work non-destructively as often and for as long as possible, and so far that's proven to be very difficult for me in poly modeling.

Couldn't agree more, this path or spline based modeling with the ability to generate geometry and bend, stretch and proportionately manipulate it afterwards I know from Photoshop and have been searching for in Blender ever since I started using it. Blender always reminds me of the Italians that still hammer a piece of sheet metal into shape :)

Nope I am in fact talking about the door panels :). They are symmetric of course but have a number of differences between driver and passenger side. Symmetry was the wrong word what I meant was the way that shoulder line is sweeping across the air vent and many other things that are just far away from a simple door panel which make this so much #fun to model :). It remains to this day the coolest door panel they ever designed,

839GIa7.png

Just leaving this clay shot here to remind me what a mess it was once I post the finished leather wrapped, wood covered, speaker grill and chrome trimmed finished product in a few days :roflmao:

Definitely , Now it is a real pain when I have to work on interior model for any brand of bmw group ;s exept maybe rolls royce , but the design is like .... uncomparable to the 8 you are doing lol
There is so much restriction , carry over parts , and saving costs , that we cannot do anything fanzy unfortunately :s

Definitely , Now it is a real pain when I have to work on interior model for any brand of bmw group ;s exept maybe rolls royce , but the design is like .... uncomparable to the 8 you are doing lol
There is so much restriction , carry over parts , and saving costs , that we cannot do anything fanzy unfortunately :s

Ha...one thing you can say about the 8 is restriction, cost and conformity were not an issue in its design or assembly. The whole car in one word is 'fanzy'.

I'm working on some private stuff where I have to do the whole solemnly follow references exactly thing, and I can't post it, so I decided to do, for fun, a quick little excursion.

fuCH8wZ.jpg

I've said on some of my previous mods to set your expectations low but this time I'm sending that message times 10. This is not going to look as nice as the WRX. Or the Value Van. Or F350. I am getting back to my roots and making a sincere attempt to recapture the level of "don't care, just build it in a weekend" that produced the Reliant Robin. To assist this effort, I will not be seeking out further references (I have 23 photos) and I will not be using advanced image editing tools. The bulk of texture work will be done in Microsoft Paint, with an assist from GIMP on the unavoidable parts (transparency, mixing in AO).

Bit more work done, by this point it should be a pretty easy guess which trim level/bodystyle I'm going for.
fiGEaOu.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 38 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.2%