Resource icon

Misc True to Life AI 2013 Season 1.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
Not really haha. Anyway I'm going to use your files but if I find I'm still too quick on a given track, which file do I find the player grip levels in? I noticed your mod has the cars folder where both balanced and tracks has edited ctf files in it.

EDIT: Just tried it in Malaysia, the AI is a bit quicker but I am a bit quicker as well? I still get pole by pretty much the same amount.

EDIT: Just tried again and improved my time by 8 tenths, definitely feels like there is more grip than before.

Not really haha. Anyway I'm going to use your files but if I find I'm still too quick on a given track, which file do I find the player grip levels in? I noticed your mod has the cars folder where both balanced and tracks has edited ctf files in it.

EDIT: Just tried it in Malaysia, the AI is a bit quicker but I am a bit quicker as well? I still get pole by pretty much the same amount.

EDIT: Just tried again and improved my time by 8 tenths, definitely feels like there is more grip than before.

You might not be installing the files correctly...I can't tell. Remember to simply copy my entire "cars" folder into the F1 2012 root directory, and say "yes" to overwrite any files. To make yourself slower at a track, you need to go to F1 2012\cars\[team]\track. Open the CTF file for the track you're too fast at, and lower the values for grip_front/rear. This is all explained in the overview page...

So for instance at Malaysia, if you have my files installed properly, you'll be running with 5% less grip than the AI. Maybe I need to lower it a bit more, but remember that I test this by running with the default setup for a circuit, so if you start making highly customized setups for your car at Malaysia, then yes you'll be able to find more speed over the AI.

What you need to keep in mind, is that everyone sets up their car differently for their own driving style. So I can't possibly customize grip levels for every single individual person with their own custom setup at every track. So again, I test by using the default setup (which the AI uses as well) in order to give me a balanced starting point. In other words, I'm negating any advantages car setup would give me, so I can more clearly see the differences in performance that adjusting the grip levels bring.

I hope that made sense lol
If you're positive you're installing the files correctly, and are using a car setup that is at least close to the default setup given to you at the track, and you're still too fast...then I'm all ears for suggestions and feedback. Like I said, maybe I didn't lower Player grip levels at Malaysia enough. But I don't know what setup you're using, so I can't be 100% sure where the issue lies.

EDIT: Yes Hockenheim was a pretty dramatic change in order to make the Player not blow away the AI during the race, so I'm glad you're at least seeing a difference there! :thumbsup:

I am running with the default setup and am 100% sure I've installed your files correctly. The fastest AI times are around the 1:36.2 mark and I am getting mid 1:35's. I reckon the player grip has to be lowered even more for sure.

EDIT: I've opened the ctf files for sepang and both the balanced and track files for sepang have grip levels of 1.05 and 1.15. So this means my grip has been increased as well as the AI? Has this been addressed in a later version of the mod because I don't have the most recent update.

EDIT: I thought I should also point out that the ratio of 1 to 1.1 is different from the ratio of 1.05 to 1.15. In theory with your mod, the AI and player (where the grip is 1.05, 1.15) would have a ratio with more front grip to rear grip than the vanilla game, not sure how much of a difference it would make though.

100%, I'm mainly talking about qualifying though. It's all good now though because I lowered my grip levels by a fair bit.

You don't have version 1.7 installed then. v1.7 made adjustments to Sepang. I just downloaded the v1.7 zip file for myself from this page and Sepang track folder (for all cars) has grip levels of front 1.0, rear 1.1 whereas the balanced folder for all cars is set to 1.05 / 1.15

The grip ratio is in fact correct:
Original grip levels are 1.0 and 1.1
My increased grip levels are 1.05 and 1.15

1.05 - 1.0 = 0.05 (a 5% increase for front grip for the AI)
1.15 - 1.1 = 0.05 (a 5% increase for rear grip for the AI...so front and rear grip are increased by the same amount, keeping it balanced.)

As it stands now, some tracks for the player are still set 1.05 / 1.15 because I haven't gotten feedback that the Player is too fast at those tracks. But, on the overview page, you'll see which tracks have been adjusted in order to give less grip to the Player in order to make the competition closer.

So like I said, be sure you're installing these files correctly, and with the latest version available.
But, just out of curiosity, what grip levels do you have set for Sepang for the Player (aka track folder)? You still may be right that my adjusted Player grip levels of 1.0 / 1.1 for Sepang may still be a little too high.

You don't have version 1.7 installed then. v1.7 made adjustments to Sepang. I just downloaded the v1.7 zip file for myself from this page and Sepang track folder (for all cars) has grip levels of front 1.0, rear 1.1 whereas the balanced folder for all cars is set to 1.05 / 1.15

The grip ratio is in fact correct:
Original grip levels are 1.0 and 1.1
My increased grip levels are 1.05 and 1.15

1.05 - 1.0 = 0.05 (a 5% increase for front grip for the AI)
1.15 - 1.1 = 0.05 (a 5% increase for rear grip for the AI...so front and rear grip are increased by the same amount, keeping it balanced.)

As it stands now, some tracks for the player are still set 1.05 / 1.15 because I haven't gotten feedback that the Player is too fast at those tracks. But, on the overview page, you'll see which tracks have been adjusted in order to give less grip to the Player in order to make the competition closer.

So like I said, be sure you're installing these files correctly, and with the latest version available.
But, just out of curiosity, what grip levels do you have set for Sepang for the Player (aka track folder)? You still may be right that my adjusted Player grip levels of 1.0 / 1.1 for Sepang may still be a little too high.

1.05 - 1.0 = 0.05 which is 0.05/1 = 5%
1.15 - 1.1 = 0.05 which is 0.05/1.1 = 4.54%

As I said though, it's good to have the ratio of front to rear grip different at different tracks, adds a bit of variation.
My values for sepang are:

front_grip = 0.988
rear_grip = 1.088

I'll probably do my career race there tomorrow so I'll give you an update on how it goes.

I'll do my race at Australia as well where I have 0.98 and 1.083 so I'll tell you how that goes as well.

I know it has been asked a lot... But is there a way to start the career with a top team or at least disable the tier system?

I can confirm that you get team offers from all teams after season 1. The problem is that the tier system is messed up after season 1 (for example i accepted a team offer from lotus but the car is slower than the torro rosso).

I'll try a couple Sepang races to see how it goes with your values, thank you sir!

And now I see what you're saying about the ratio:
1.0 / 1.1 = .9090909...
1.05 / 1.15 = .9130

So yes it does seem I've given more grip to the front than to the rear...though it is only by 0.0039526 (0.39526% ...aka not even half a percent)...so I would consider that pretty negligible, would you agree?

I know it has been asked a lot... But is there a way to start the career with a top team or at least disable the tier system?

I can confirm that you get team offers from all teams after season 1. The problem is that the tier system is messed up after season 1 (for example i accepted a team offer from lotus but the car is slower than the torro rosso).

To start the career with top teams, it requires changing a number of ID's in the database...aka you're basically flip flopping team ID's which I really don't like the sound of doing. This is why I went the other route to make the Player a level 50 driver essentially right away, so by the end of season 1, you get all team offers (which to be honest is a little more realistic than having Ferrari and Reb Bull banging on your door after just a Young Driver's Test). But as you see the only downfall is having to do Season 1 with a crappy team.

That's very interesting about the tier system not working correctly. In my database, in the ai_engine_power_per_tier table, each team's horsepower increases gradually per tier...which makes sense. But (assuming that you've installed everything correctly and are using my entire database) there must be something else determining the upgrade route of the teams that I'm not seeing.

How many races have you done in Season 2 so far? Is this a consistent issue where a team you would expect to do well is not doing well, and conversely a team that you would not expect to do well is doing well?

Well I've just done Melbourne but I restarted Qualifying over and over again (not simulated times) to make sure it wasn't just a random case. For example Marussia is always reaching Q2, Williams is always Q1 (seems like they switched places).

Sauber is always Q3, Lotus (me included) is mostly not reaching Q2 (they finished 3rd in the constructors championship). It's very frustrating :(

Well I've just done Melbourne but I restarted Qualifying over and over again (not simulated times) to make sure it wasn't just a random case. For example Marussia is always reaching Q2, Williams is always Q1 (seems like they switched places).

Sauber is always Q3, Lotus (me included) is mostly not reaching Q2 (they finished 3rd in the constructors championship). It's very frustrating :(

Are the drivers remaining in the same car? Or do they switch around at all? Sorry I know, lame question, but I just haven't really done any career work since I've been focused on making the game better overall lol.

Just to confirm, if you do a quick race at Melbourne, how does the AI fall into order?

Hi.
I wan to ask about cars. Does your ,,cars" folder includes new car noses?

No, there are no graphic updates included with my mod. The "cars" folder only includes CTF files which effect Player and AI car performance.

Though if you search the forums using the name of the 2013 car (example CT03, MR02, Sauber C32, etc), you'll find most if not all 2013 cars available around the forums to install individually.

Cheers

Thank you for your amazing work!

Just wanted to ask you , if I already started a career with your 1.6 mod, can I install 1.7 and continue with that career save game?

Just wanted to tell you that I had amazing fun with your mod, it's superb! Wonderful fighting with other drivers and the increased tyre wear worked perfectly!

Thank you for your amazing work!

Just wanted to ask you , if I already started a career with your 1.6 mod, can I install 1.7 and continue with that career save game?

Just wanted to tell you that I had amazing fun with your mod, it's superb! Wonderful fighting with other drivers and the increased tyre wear worked perfectly!

Glad to hear it mate! Be sure to drop a vote in the review section if you like it :thumbsup:

You should definitely be able to resume your career after installing databases from new updates, as the database really doesn't have any drastic changes to it..mainly just small adjustments to team and driver performance.

Backup your savegame to be safe though!!

But please do let me know if there is an issue!

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 489 69.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 299 42.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 324 45.8%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 153 21.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 193 27.3%
Back