Tracks Twin Ring Motegi [WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The project is on hold, since I have 2 others, private ones. I would continue to work, but I just lack too many data. I tried with some contacts to get it from Honda, or to let someone on track to do the job, but they just seem to be too conservative and not open minded.

This has been a fundamental part of modding sims since simming began. I'd better turn myself in to the local plod then.
I thought legalities only came to the surface if the content was sold for profit?

Taking something from one title and putting it in another without permission is illegal.
Selling something you've taken from one game and put into another is illegal.
Selling a recreation of a real world car or track, whether it has the real logo or not, is illegal.
Creating a real world car or track from scratch for a game and distributing it for free is illegal.

Various sim racing communities have put their own dividing line where they choose to for as long as modding has been a thing. Note that while all of the above are illegal, it's the rights holders' responsibility to initiate legal action. Each rights holder has their own dividing line position as well.

Creating a real world car or track from scratch for a game and distributing it for free is illegal.
With this logic making a ferrari painting or porsche photo is also illegal. Or making a game video with ferraris and porsches in it and then sharing in youtube while monetizing. It is not that simple. If you read that like you wrote it then turbosquid model store is illegal.

Making and sharing car or track models is not illegal for crying out aloud...

to get back to the track (at least even if not from the OP)
DqRj-jqUUAA6KFT.jpg

DqRW4MjVYAAD-Ln.jpg

Dp3VFFwVsAATsZM.jpg:large

With this logic making a ferrari painting or porsche photo is also illegal. Or making a game video with ferraris and porsches in it and then sharing in youtube while monetizing. It is not that simple. If you read that like you wrote it then turbosquid model store is illegal.

Making and sharing car or track models is not illegal for crying out aloud...

Yes, making mods of real cars is illegal. You do not own the IP involved, therefore you can not use it legally without obtaining permission from the IP owner. That is very basic copyright law.

And yes, selling recreations of real things on the Turbosquid model store is also illegal. Just because something has been allowed to continue does not make it legal, it just means no one has cared enough to stop it. That's not the same thing.

Photography is different; as long as the item being photographed is viewable by other members of the public you can take a photograph and sell it. You're not selling the item in the photo, you're selling the photo itself which is covered, by law, under creative interpretation and the subject matter is in the public domain (note that being hired to take photos of something, unless otherwise stated in the contract, means the photos are the property of the one who hired you, so you can not display those photos without permission). 3D models of real things are not covered the same way because they are designed deliberately to be recreations. Art is a bit of a grey area. Some professional artists obtain licenses for their work, some don't. A good lawyer can argue the case either way.

You don't have to believe me, but that doesn't change the facts. Personally I don't really care if you do or don't. I have to know it, it's part of my job. I have to know where my rights begin and end; both as an IP holder and as someone who needs to use others' IP.

For the record - Copyright law, like many other areas of law, often doesn't really make sense. That, again, doesn't make something legal or illegal. Just because you think it's stupid or illogical doesn't change what is and isn't illegal.

Yes, making mods of real cars is illegal. You do not own the IP involved, therefore you can not use it legally without obtaining permission from the IP owner. That is very basic copyright law.
Making a model is different from using the logo or brand of the car.

And yes, selling recreations of real things on the Turbosquid model store is also illegal. Just because something has been allowed to continue does not make it legal, it just means no one has cared enough to stop it. That's not the same thing.
Sure... it is just an industry standard. The car manufacturers even themselves buy models from there...

Photography is different; as long as the item being photographed is viewable by other members of the public you can take a photograph and sell it. You're not selling the item in the photo, you're selling the photo itself which is covered, by law, under creative interpretation and the subject matter is in the public domain (note that being hired to take photos of something, unless otherwise stated in the contract, means the photos are the property of the one who hired you, so you can not display those photos without permission).
Public places are not always free in the way you describe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_Tower#Illumination_copyright
As for your photo example. As long as you have a contract you can make any kind of contract you want. Whatever that has to do with anything at all. Your point is that different kinds of contracts exist...?

I have to know it, it's part of my job.
Good luck...

For the record - Copyright law, like many other areas of law, often doesn't really make sense. That, again, doesn't make something legal or illegal. Just because you think it's stupid or illogical doesn't change what is and isn't illegal.
It is a whole lot more than just copyright law. But what you are suggesting is that whole gaming industry is based on illegal work is just ridiculous statement. If we go by what you said making models of cars is illegal. Companies buy these models all the time. Nobody has even been sued for it. Some of these models are made to completion before bought. Some are made to order. All sims buy these models. Assetto corsa, rfactor2, project cars... Everybody buys models. Forza... (list of all racing games essentially goes here). If that is illegal then everybody are braking the law. Or are you saying because the game company has the rights to use the brand and logo and the car then the original crime of modelling a car becomes legal? Like if you steal a car and sell it and the guy buying it has driver's license it makes it ok? You can argue all you want but making and buying models is perfectly legal period. Where it becomes illegal if you use the brands, logos and so forth. But even then it is not black and white because not one single legal case exists to support your ideas.

But sure. We are all criminals here.

---
Sorry for polluting this thread with this. I'll stop now.

edit:
Cease and desist letters are not lawsuits. You can send them to anyone you want for anything you want. Please even do a basic google search before you post this total nonsense... Cease and desist order on the other hand... Google this stuff... Here's one: https://legalvision.com.au/cease-and-desist-order/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 38 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 7.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.2%