Virginia International Raceway

Tracks Virginia International Raceway 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
I saw some of you have the oak tree on their track... I don't have it on mine... Where did you get it, or how do you get it?

You have 4 VIP.exes in the track folder. Start the exe, see the clue, go to the track and find the boards containing the password. Go back to start the exe and follow the instructions.

Is the password board No. 4 visible from the track? I've spent almost an hour yesterday searching for this last little bugger and can't find it :D. Not being familiar with the history of the circuit, I can't make anything out of "the thunderbox" clue either. Or should I start searching within all the infield facilities?

How does one enable free cam mode in AC while we're at it?

Is the password board No. 4 visible from the track? I've spent almost an hour yesterday searching for this last little bugger and can't find it :D. Not being familiar with the history of the circuit, I can't make anything out of "the thunderbox" clue either. Or should I start searching within all the infield facilities?

4 is findable on the full layout quite easily. The thunderbox clue didn't help me either :p I found it by sheer luck, but it's fairly obvious.

It's 2 and 3 i cant find yet, but i haven't been searching very hard...having way to much fun driving.

Good luck finding it.

EDIT: Just been for a drive....Christ i'm dense sometimes :p the thunderbox clue is perfect :)

Last edited:
How does one enable free cam mode in AC while we're at it?

Go to your Assetto Corsa\system\cfg folder. Open the assetto_corsa.ini and set: Allow_free_camera to 1 and save the file.
Now you can use the F7 cam with the mouse and the arrow keys.

When you follow the full course and surroundings you can find all VIP code signs.

Switched to a chase cam and got the ones i was missing immediately :)

Little touches like these easter eggs are the icing on the cake. Thanks to all involved in bringing one of my favorite tracks to Assetto! Top quality modding gents :D

BTW there are some weird cambers on the road, that might need to be fixed

Especially turn2 or 3 and in the right hander just before the snake esses at 1:30s

Hi @Albert McSaltens
Thanks fo rthe input. :)

I will say that turn 5 is a very weird turn IRL. You don't realize how off-camber it is until you lift and feel the rear end lose more traction than you are expecting. I've seen many street and race cars lose it there. In fact, when the track got wet the other weekend, it was almost comical watching every other GS/ST car driving off into the grass at that turn. :D

As far as 2/3, I can also see some camber changes in this dashcam video
(not mine), but would honestly be surprised if it matched up perfectly, since we aren't laser-scanned. But looks pretty good to me.
The Turn 3 apex is my most-missed. So hard for me to hit that one correctly IRL. Feels like a tractor beam is pulling me away from it. Might have something to do with some camber, but probably a lot more to do with my awkward positioning after Turn 2.

All of that said, watching the videos side-by-side, I don't see anything that jumps out as totally wrong. It feels good to me vs my experience (which is by no means definitive, but I did jump into AC ASAP after my real track sessions). More importantly, I put a much more experienced VIR racer/driver in my seat, and he didn't mention anything about those particular turns being wrong. In fact I was paying close attention to him going into the Snake because it is so tricky, and he said to himself "Yep. There it is."

We'll never get things 100% correct, but I feel very very good about how this VIR drives.

(keep FOV differences in mind for these comparisons)
Turn3.jpg

Turn6.jpg

I'ld like to add that my friend was very impressed with our VIR, but he was also amazed by Assetto Corsa. Kept saying he couldn't believe how real the handling felt. So, good job Kunos as well. :)

Hi @Albert McSaltens
Thanks fo rthe input. :)

I will say that turn 5 is a very weird turn IRL. You don't realize how off-camber it is until you lift and feel the rear end lose more traction than you are expecting. I've seen many street and race cars lose it there. In fact, when the track got wet the other weekend, it was almost comical watching every other GS/ST car driving off into the grass at that turn. :D

As far as 2/3, I can also see some camber changes in this dashcam video
(not mine), but would honestly be surprised if it matched up perfectly, since we aren't laser-scanned. But looks pretty good to me.
The Turn 3 apex is my most-missed. So hard for me to hit that one correctly IRL. Feels like a tractor beam is pulling me away from it. Might have something to do with some camber, but probably a lot more to do with my awkward positioning after Turn 2.

All of that said, watching the videos side-by-side, I don't see anything that jumps out as totally wrong. It feels good to me vs my experience (which is by no means definitive, but I did jump into AC ASAP after my real track sessions). More importantly, I put a much more experienced VIR racer/driver in my seat, and he didn't mention anything about those particular turns being wrong. In fact I was paying close attention to him going into the Snake because it is so tricky, and he said to himself "Yep. There it is."

We'll never get things 100% correct, but I feel very very good about how this VIR drives.

(keep FOV differences in mind for these comparisons)
View attachment 152156
View attachment 152157

I'ld like to add that my friend was very impressed with our VIR, but he was also amazed by Assetto Corsa. Kept saying he couldn't believe how real the handling felt. So, good job Kunos as well. :)
comparing to those videos i really see the diference im pointing out. apart from that, the rest is very good

I actually "free"-rided around the track on the full course at first. Which ment I sometimes had to put it in reverse to not get sent back to pit for driving the wrong way :x3:
So, I found all the "secrets" except the oak tree that simply isn´t there, before I even found my first code. Then I read the cues, and Thunder Box was actually the only one completely obvious to me, so found that first.
Anyway, after finding the rest, unlocking parts of the whole track that I already had visited in reverse, it was kind of...well, now they´re unlocked, but I don´t think I´ll ever use them.

All in all, I think it was a fun idea to get people to drive around and explore, but not that practical when you don´t already have unlocked freeride first and have no idea where those codes are placed.

But, in the end, I´m not dissapointed at all, the track is amazingly fun and challenging, and I have no problem with the surface being the repaved edition.

:thumbsup:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%