Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

My i9-9900K already had planned obsolescence.
Whenever the next substantially faster CPU gets here and I'm planning to replace my video card and VR headset, my i9 MB will replace my current i7-2600K development box MB that is long overdue for an upgrade. I'll likely sell the 2080Ti since my DevBox already has a 1080Ti and that is way more than enough.

Been holding off on a full system upgrade for several years now... bouncing between a building out a full tower around the 3080 or going with something like a Corsair One i200 once it gets refreshed. Advantage of the Corsair is that it's (a) prebuilt and (b) I could easily dual-purpose it and move between upstairs office and downstairs rig. Downsides are upgradability and potential power supply limitation of mini-ITX.

1596137376049.png

Last edited:
I had a small mini-ITX gaming system for a while.
In fact a friend of mine liked it so much he asked me to build him an identical copy.
It was very cute and portable. I had no problem bringing it with me or bouncing between upstairs and downstairs.

twins.jpg

I ended up going to a larger case for cooling reasons, larger video cards and expandibility.
I'm using Noctua D15 CPU coolers on both my cases now and it is pretty large.
My current 2080Ti is a THREE card width device. It wouldn't fit in my last mini-iTX case.
I've added a second 7.1 audio card so I can have transducers and run surround to my media system.
GamingComputer_4649.jpg

• Deleted member 197115

No, but I will get 3080Ti when EVGA has it in hybrid trim.

Will not be able to deliver decent triple 4k FPS. It will be great for single screen 4k or triple 1440.

I’m currently on XBox with a high-end 4K TV. I’m just waiting on the 3080Ti (or whatever it will be called) to make the jump to PC and triple screen. It sounds like I’ll be using 1440p.

Am I going to feel a drop in image quality going from 4K (but lower FPS) to 1440p (but higher FPS)? Or will the increase in FPS make up for the drop in resolution?

If it is true that
- the XBox GPU is roughly a GTX 750 equivalent
- the GTX 2080ti is roughly 6 times as fast as the 750 and
- the 3080ti will be 40% faster than the GTX 2080ti
the new car should be more than 8 times as fast as the XBox GPU.

Of course it's a little bit "simple" to estimatwe this way but in any case I would say the difference is substantial and you should get a higher resolution, more FPS and better image quality all at the same time. Oh, and yes: A higher price, too:)

If it is true that
- the XBox GPU is roughly a GTX 750 equivalent
- the GTX 2080ti is roughly 6 times as fast as the 750 and
- the 3080ti will be 40% faster than the GTX 2080ti
the new car should be more than 8 times as fast as the XBox GPU.

Of course it's a little bit "simple" to estimatwe this way but in any case I would say the difference is substantial and you should get a higher resolution, more FPS and better image quality all at the same time. Oh, and yes: A higher price, too:)

Awesome!!! I guess when explained like that it makes sense.

Don’t care too much about the price... I keep reassuring my wife that this hobby is cheaper than buying a race car. Haha!

Am I going to feel a drop in image quality going from 4K (but lower FPS) to 1440p (but higher FPS)? Or will the increase in FPS make up for the drop in resolution?

Triple 1440 has more pixels/resolution than single 4k (7680 x 1400 vs. 3840 x 2160). The bandwidth delta between the two increases as the refresh goes up which puts triple 4k @ 144hz out of reach - even for the 3080ti. Not sure but think the bandwith for triple 4k at that refresh also necessitates PCIe4.0 and HDMI 2.1. Triple 4k displays running at 1440hz would have the 1.5x the bandwidth requirement of a single 8k monitor @ 60hz.

A High-end graphic cards is an item you don't want to pre-order without seeing all the benchmarks.

Also in the past only a couple of months after the initial release, there were a lot of 3rd party cards with better coolers and higher clock speeds.

This is totally different from ordering something like a Samsung G9 monitor or a HP Reverb G2.

There are going to be a lot of different variants of the same chip and the best thing it to be patient.

Of-course it's easier to be patient with a 2080Ti than with a 970 :D
Yes super pleased with my 2080Ti
It totally destroys my old 2080 I saw above 50% increase in FPS
AC was getting 97 average FPS on this 2080 8gb 7680x1440 ultra settings,
Bought a EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Hybrid
Jumped to 159 I mean I’m happy to sit back and smoke a stogy and see how the new cards develop also :cool:
:roflmao:

What are the odds that the new 3080Ti will be able to handle triple screen at 4K?
You'll be able to get 60-75 Hz performance at full settings while ACC will probably still not be possible.

FYI, I'm running triple 4k using a 1080 GTX... surprisingly can get rF2 and AC to cooperate with decent lowered settings. Everything else is running on a single 4k screen. Madness engine (PCARS, PCARS 2, & AMS2) operates less efficiently going to triple screens, so it did not quite make the grade with rF2 and AC.

Yeah there not cheap these things my XC Hybrid was like 1400$
I doubt a 3080ti with insane power be much cheaper

good news is that the 2080ti will drop in price that’s only good deal to he had here.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 28 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.2%