Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

Yeah there not cheap these things my XC Hybrid was like 1400$
I doubt a 3080ti with insane power be much cheaper

good news is that the 2080ti will drop in price that’s only good deal to he had here.

True enough. I may end up selling mine and it was at the top of the 2080Ti lineup EVGA 3 slot widths excellent clock speed and cooling. But I'm not in a rush. I'm waiting until a new headset comes along that I can't say no to :)

I had a small mini-ITX gaming system for a while.
In fact a friend of mine liked it so much he asked me to build him an identical copy.
It was very cute and portable. I had no problem bringing it with me or bouncing between upstairs and downstairs.

View attachment 393886

I ended up going to a larger case for cooling reasons, larger video cards and expandibility.
I'm using Noctua D15 CPU coolers on both my cases now and it is pretty large.
My current 2080Ti is a THREE card width device. It wouldn't fit in my last mini-iTX case.
I've added a second 7.1 audio card so I can have transducers and run surround to my media system.
View attachment 393885
I love playing around with airflow...especially in cases.
It's the aircraft technician coming out....:D:D:D:D
You have a fan in that case arrangement which may potentially be keeping you from obtaining the best overall temps. I'm sure it is cool but you may be able to get a few more degrees cooler.
See those two big Noctua fans on that CPU?
Those are capable of moving a lot of air rearward.
That fan behind them could be slowing down that exhaust stream...essentially causing a slight stalling effect to the CPU fans.
What you ideally want, is the exiting case pressure to rapidly go back to ambient.
You'll get a corresponding temperature drop as a result.
Best analogy: Letting air out of a bicycle tire on a hot day. Notice the ice crystals on the stem.
We use that same principal to cool the cabins in most modern aircraft.
It's called air cycle machines.
Try removing that rear fan and let the Noctua fans exhaust the case unrestricted.
You'll probably see a few more degrees of cooling.

@Terry Rock, I just ordered a 200mm Noctua fan and a small PWM control board with a volume knob and 12V PS. The plan is to 3D print a bracket and make it fit off my SC2 mount. I'm thinking that up close and personal it may do a decent job of blowing air at me.

Well, I wouldn't, seeing that the card would cost a fortune for me, and I love my 4-yr old gaming laptop, since it can run most games i like reasonably. (Got a i5-6300HQ and a GTX960M, but that's good enough for me.)

No 3080s for me.
At the very most...and if the price is right, it'll be the 3070 line.
This of course, all hinges on what AMD brings...and also at what price.
We've all seen an up-tick in AMD product prices of late, so I'm guessing that BN2 will continue that trend.
Hopefully it'll still be within reason relative to performance.
Nvidia went way out of control with the 2000 series.
I don't ever see them rolling back prices...given that folks went out and bought them in droves.

Last edited:
I want to upgrade to a newer VR headset, I'm considering the HP G2 but I'm going to need more horsepower to run ACC on it. Currently have a 2070 super and I'm at medium settings. €500 would be about my limit though.

Currently run a single 4k display at 60 hz which is fine with my 2080ti on high/ultra. But I'm still planning on a triple 1440p setup, so by by then I'll probably upgrade to a 3080ti.

But most of all I really hope to see more dlss 2.0 implementations, because that's really a boost from your rtx cores. With that I just know I can manage 3 x 1440p in ACC with pretty high graphics and solid fps. Which would make a 3080ti obsolete, with the same card. Hope Kunos will implement it at some point, since dlss2.0 is possible in UR4 engine now.

I'll be buying a 3080ti (or equivalent) as soon as is sensible. by that I mean as soon as there are a few manufactures delivering them and some benchmarks have been made.

I currently have a 1080ti, so feel my investment has run its course on that one. At the moment I'm satisfied with the performance running ACC etc. 3440 x 1440 on a Acer Predator ultrawide.

Come Autumn (fall) my Reverb G2 should arrive, and the dual 2160 x 2160 screens will be too much with any expectation of good refresh rate and settings.

My 2080ti is more than enough with my oculus S and rfactor2 but I preordered the Reverb G2 and I hope that the 2080ti is enough to run it with medium/high setting if not then I will probably go for the 3080ti and at that point I will have to upgrade my i7-8700 because I’m sure it will bottleneck the 3080ti( it already does with my 2080ti).

Is it worth going for the reference cards when they are released? I have never bought a reference card, the third party cards usually have more substantial cooling.
I’d like to know about this too. I have two criteria for a new card, performance and noise levels.

I have some expectation that the founders edition cards have performance, bing a binned chip, but generally aren’t very quiet?

• Deleted member 197115

Reference is the weakest of the bunch with the worst cooling.
Pre RTX reference cooler had advantage for SLI setups and smaller cases, with RTX it's the same open fans design as 3rd parties.

I'm already saving for a 3080ti or 3090 what ever it is called, I have a RTX2080 but have a buyer for that, so I'm more or less ready to go, I usually upgrade every two years

I'm running a 9900k @ 5ghz, it does 5.3 but I don't push it too much, I'm also on 1440p G-sync I'm hoping 1 more year for the 9900k and then it will be my spare machine, my main machine is just for my sim rig

I have the RTX 2080ti now. If the RTX 3090 is not a pipe dream, I will be buying that and a 4k monitor. Both will have to support HDMI2.1 and DIsplayport 2.0. The monitor will have to be 144hz and hopefully mini-LED.

There will be no inheritance from me. And I never saw an armored car at the end of a funeral procession. ;)

I'm definitely going with the 3090. Im on a never ending quest for the best VR quality. Down the rabbit hole I go.. again..

I would definitely wait for real-world performance comparisons between the 3090 and 3080ti. From the specs I would deduct just a lot more VRAM (not so much more computing power) and I guess VR won't benefit SOOO much from this.
Unless of course you are ready to pay a few hundreds for VERY few fps.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 29 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 37 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.3%