Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

For me it looks like upgrading from a RTX 2070 super (i7 8086K @5ghz) to a 3080 would give a substantial boost in performance. I don't expect to run epic settings but I would be hoping to run on the Reverb G2 (currently on an oculus rift CV) with medium to high, I think the resolution bump would be better than higher graphics anyway.

Might want to cancel those Zotac's...

in fact might be best to cancel any orders and wait a month or so for fresh inventory.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

There is definitely an issue with the cards, but the above theory is not 100% clear as also the TUF cards experience these issues.

I think it's a boost profile issue. Especially on the cheaper cards the chips are lower binned, then sold with an aggressive boost profile. The lower tier cards (like my Ventus) are sold with low power limit, they maybe could do something about the issue by giving out higher power limit bios, but I think they will rather adjust the boost profiles. Of course the boost profile issue is connected to the possible power filtering issue.

The 2000-series launch card had the memory issues, many broke within the first months. Looks like the wise way to go would be to wait for the ti/super versions where issues are fixed and drivers working well. I'm just always too impatient to get the new tech. ;)

However, I've luckily experienced no issues so far with my card. It has three year warranty and I've still got my 2080 so not too worried.

Last edited:
And another one, seems like 3090 is affected too. Wondering if it's Zotac isolated. In any case, glad scalpers took care of questionable first batch.

It isn't just Zotac. So far I've heard about MSI 3080 GAMING X TRIO, MSI Ventus 3X 10G OC, Zotac Trinity 3080, EVGA, even Nvidia's FE.
At first it seemed like only Zotac and MSI were affected, but maybe because they initially sold more cards and were just the first ones reported

Last edited:

I have been saying for years sims should implement DLSS over RTX ..... always got some wisecrack
even from VR users

30 fps ..hardly anything :barefoot:

You should be all asking other studios why they totally ignore it

index.php

Last edited:
You should be all asking other studios why they totally ignore it

Look this arguments happens time and time again for Nvidia, look at SLI which needed developer input, look at how slow uptake on RTX is.

There's a reason why DLSS is only being done by big budget developers who jump through Nvidias hoops. Money. What we need is a technology that is software agnostic. Similar to Radeon Image Sharpening which is already software agnostic or Freesync that is open source. Maybe DLSS will work on all games soon by default (DLSS 3.0?). But like most of these things its down to AMD to make their equivelant free tech (RIS 2.0?!) look as good as DLSS 2.0 and run on all games before Nvidia makes it free to compete. Then we all benefit.

Same thing happened with Gsync, essentially stealing much cheaper Freesync 2 and rebranding it as "Gsync Compatible".

Kinda glad I got an AMD gpu as its opened my eyes to all the BS Nvidia gets upto.

Nvidia's AIB partners have created a 'golden' opportunity for AMD, should they have something exceptional.
The whole electrical noise filtering issue will be interesting moving forward.
I suspect they will address it with a BIOS release, to limit max boosting to something less than the FE cards.
It would be too costly to do anything else at this stage.
They're probably not going to recall the cards or re-design their process.

Last edited:
Not this little black duck after what Ive been reading with all the issues across the board with all makes.
I'm still sticking with my Asus RTX2080Ti for a little while longer until things settle down and sort themselves out.
Hey what's just a few frame rates between friends, as long as you don't get a BSOD halfway through a race.

Looks like the ASUS TUF may be the one to get... 6 MLCC arrays vs. 5 POSCAPS/1 MLCC (Most AIBs), and/or god forbid (ZOTEC) 6 POSCAPS/No MLCC's. Founders and a couple other cards are 4 POSCAP/2MLCC - basically, the more MLCC's the better. The BSOD/CtD seems to be a EMI/noise issue at high boost levels which can be mitigated by higher quality components. Going to wait for all of this to shake out and BigNavi's release before jumping into the pool.

EDIT: Apparently issues with ASUS and Founder's Edition as well... definitely hold off for now:

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Message from EVGA, at least first official word from AIB or NVidia.

• Deleted member 197115

For simple minded consumer like myself, that explanation makes just as much sense as Encabulator description, I just want card that boost without BSODing system.
Seems like the beast was released into wild without proper testing from NVidia or AIB partners.
They'll figure it out eventually, until then my wallet is hibernating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some thoughts from Illya "tin" Tsemenko, who until recently was with EVGA. It might help to calm the nerves of those who are losing their minds over capacitor arrangements.

I'm not losing my mind over capacitor arrangements, but the whole 3080 launch has been a disaster.

-Amazon.de cancelled my Zotac 3080 order
-I tried to get a 3090, but that launch was a paper one to.
-So i ordered a MSI Ventus 3080 instead (nr 233 in the pre-order line )
- After reading up on the 3080 crashes i decided to cancel my MSI ventus and went for a MSI 380 gaming Trio X instead ( Nr 650 in-line)

So i probably have to wait at least 3 months for the card to arrive :D

There will probably be a bios fix for the Ventus 3080 by then, but that will be a very difficult one to sell in the future, since gamers will know it's a "crippled" one.

Until that time my 2080 Ti will do just fine and a can i wait and see what AMD comes up with.

the whole 3080 launch has been a disaster

I agree. The whole launch continues to be a big mess with none of us really knowing what's going to happen next :thumbsdown:

I'm in a queue myself but have no idea on the number or how far back I am. There's a little part of me hopes it won't arrive before the AMD announcement so that I'll have an opportunity to choose between them.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 29 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.4%