ACC Results Companion

Misc ACC Results Companion 1.24.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
Love the app! I host Friday night races and would love to be able to create a team of all my regular viewers from twitch who race so that we can see whos the fasts instead of having a bunch of Randoms on the list. Is this possible?

Love the app! I host Friday night races and would love to be able to create a team of all my regular viewers from twitch who race so that we can see whos the fasts instead of having a bunch of Randoms on the list. Is this possible?
If you go to the help (press F1 or the ? button in the header) and go to Leaderboards Page->Teams it describes how to set up and us the teams feature which sounds like it may be what you are after
1631962072490.png

Hi @Doug Duthie,
I love this app and it always running in the background everytime I race or practice. However, after a few online races with large grids (25+) where my PC started stuttering with 100% CPU I believe I finally find out that ACC Results Companion might be the root cause of my issue.
Yesterday I had one hour painful race at Barcelona with the eSenior GT3 World Championship series and after crossing the finish line I looked at the task manager and found out ACC Results Companion was eating up 17% of my CPU (a i7-9700K overclocked at 5GHz)!

Is this a known issue and is there any suggestion on how to prevent this from happening again? As an alternative, it would be possible to have this app running from a different PC and just pull the ACC logs offline to import the results so that it doesn't have to run on the same PC I'm playing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Andrea

Hi @Doug Duthie,
I love this app and it always running in the background everytime I race or practice. However, after a few online races with large grids (25+) where my PC started stuttering with 100% CPU I believe I finally find out that ACC Results Companion might be the root cause of my issue.
Yesterday I had one hour painful race at Barcelona with the eSenior GT3 World Championship series and after crossing the finish line I looked at the task manager and found out ACC Results Companion was eating up 17% of my CPU (a i7-9700K overclocked at 5GHz)!

Is this a known issue and is there any suggestion on how to prevent this from happening again? As an alternative, it would be possible to have this app running from a different PC and just pull the ACC logs offline to import the results so that it doesn't have to run on the same PC I'm playing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Andrea
Hi Andrea,
Under normal conditions I would expect ARC to just use a few percent CPU (during a race it continually polls ACC shared memory and broadcast information). There will be times when it uses much more - mainly downloading/processing leaderboards, but this is paused as soon as you enter a race.

If you are seeing very high CPU usage, that is indicative of a problem. Can you export diagnostics (instructions here) and I'll have a look.

I don't support running ARC from a different PC - I need access to ACC shared memory which is only accessible on the PC ACC is running on.

Hi Andrea,
Under normal conditions I would expect ARC to just use a few percent CPU (during a race it continually polls ACC shared memory and broadcast information). There will be times when it uses much more - mainly downloading/processing leaderboards, but this is paused as soon as you enter a race.

If you are seeing very high CPU usage, that is indicative of a problem. Can you export diagnostics (instructions here) and I'll have a look.

I don't support running ARC from a different PC - I need access to ACC shared memory which is only accessible on the PC ACC is running on.
Hi Doug, thanks for your time in looking into it.

Unfortunately I don't have the race session as I had to kill the process and I think this prevented the session to be saved. I did export the quali session with user ID KqB5rkegwtcAzjmAyTHDVi9OGP_rzL_f6DPYcORtuiU.
I don't know if that helps, but is the session I had just before entering the race and therefore all setups, parameters and conditions (number of cars in the track) are the same as in the race session which caused the CPU going to 100%.

I must add, that I had several cases (5+) where the quali session went just fine and then 2 laps into the race I had stutter with CPU at 100%. Only the last one I was able to see that ARC was the process consuming the CPU in an abnormal way.

Hope you can find something. Thanks anyway for trying!
Andrea

Hi Doug, thanks for your time in looking into it.

Unfortunately I don't have the race session as I had to kill the process and I think this prevented the session to be saved. I did export the quali session with user ID KqB5rkegwtcAzjmAyTHDVi9OGP_rzL_f6DPYcORtuiU.
I don't know if that helps, but is the session I had just before entering the race and therefore all setups, parameters and conditions (number of cars in the track) are the same as in the race session which caused the CPU going to 100%.

I must add, that I had several cases (5+) where the quali session went just fine and then 2 laps into the race I had stutter with CPU at 100%. Only the last one I was able to see that ARC was the process consuming the CPU in an abnormal way.

Hope you can find something. Thanks anyway for trying!
Andrea
Hi Andrea,
At first glance, I see an issue with a race at Barcelona at 2021-09-26 20:21. It looks at though ACC isn't accepting the request to connect to the broadcast interface. It retries a connection every 11 seconds. I'm not sure if this is the race you have an issue with (if not, give me an idea of the date and time).

If it is the race with an issue, I've seen this a few times before. Unfortunately, I've never really got to the cause of the problem - if it is an issue with the ACC broadcast interface or the way I'm using it. I raised a support issue with Kunos, but I don't think there is any response yet.

Usual things to try to work around are restart ARC and ACC (possibly even reboot) and check anti-virus/firewall isn't blocking the apps or port 9000)

Hi Andrea,
At first glance, I see an issue with a race at Barcelona at 2021-09-26 20:21. It looks at though ACC isn't accepting the request to connect to the broadcast interface. It retries a connection every 11 seconds. I'm not sure if this is the race you have an issue with (if not, give me an idea of the date and time).

If it is the race with an issue, I've seen this a few times before. Unfortunately, I've never really got to the cause of the problem - if it is an issue with the ACC broadcast interface or the way I'm using it. I raised a support issue with Kunos, but I don't think there is any response yet.

Usual things to try to work around are restart ARC and ACC (possibly even reboot) and check anti-virus/firewall isn't blocking the apps or port 9000)
Hi Doug, yep...that's the race I had issue with!
The problem with a restart is that when it happens, I'm in the race :) (saw it happening a few times after the first 2-3 laps) so I can't really do anything except quitting the race...
I will check the antivirus but I only have the sandard Windows Defender but I don't have problems most of the times so I doubt is something there.

Only additional info I can share is that the issue to me it only happens when I'm racing on a specific online server. It never happened when racing agains AI or in other online leagues. The only difference with that server I can think of is that is based in New York while I'm in Europe (Italy) and therefore my ping is between 100 - 120ms, while I'm on 20-40ms when I race online with other leagues whose server is much closer to me.
Could the higher ping combined with a lot of cars in the track create some issues when ARC needs to log too many events?

Thanks
Andrea

Hi Doug, yep...that's the race I had issue with!
The problem with a restart is that when it happens, I'm in the race :) (saw it happening a few times after the first 2-3 laps) so I can't really do anything except quitting the race...
I will check the antivirus but I only have the sandard Windows Defender but I don't have problems most of the times so I doubt is something there.

Only additional info I can share is that the issue to me it only happens when I'm racing on a specific online server. It never happened when racing agains AI or in other online leagues. The only difference with that server I can think of is that is based in New York while I'm in Europe (Italy) and therefore my ping is between 100 - 120ms, while I'm on 20-40ms when I race online with other leagues whose server is much closer to me.
Could the higher ping combined with a lot of cars in the track create some issues when ARC needs to log too many events?

Thanks
Andrea
I'll have to check back through the diagnostics etc when I've dealt with this situation before. ARC isn't logging excessively in this situation. IIRC, we delved into the ACC logs and in this case ACC client was having a bad time with connections. I'll check the ACC forum to see if there was any response/conclusion.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a CPU load check...if ARC is using too much cpu then just give up on recording that session so it doesn't impact the race

I'll have to check back through the diagnostics etc when I've dealt with this situation before. ARC isn't logging excessively in this situation. IIRC, we delved into the ACC logs and in this case ACC client was having a bad time with connections. I'll check the ACC forum to see if there was any response/conclusion.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a CPU load check...if ARC is using too much cpu then just give up on recording that session so it doesn't impact the race
That would be awesome! Much better to lose the recording than having a hour race with stutter and a 4-5 FPS flow...I can tell you from experience :)

That would be awesome! Much better to lose the recording than having a hour race with stutter and a 4-5 FPS flow...I can tell you from experience :)
Out of curiosity while I'm testing this, what CPU load did you see for ARC when you had the problem? Also how many physical/virtual cores does your CPU have (or failing that, the CPU model)? I'm trying to work out what CPU load would be expected

Out of curiosity while I'm testing this, what CPU load did you see for ARC when you had the problem? Also how many physical/virtual cores does your CPU have (or failing that, the CPU model)? I'm trying to work out what CPU load would be expected
Hi Doug, I have a Intel i7-9700K overclocked at 5GHz and ARC was taking between 15-17% of CPU load according to Task Manager. In a normal situation ARC runs at 1-2% max.

BTW I decided to go for a i9-9900K to double the threads the CPU can handle, from 8 to 16. I hope it will help as when I race I use simhub with 2 dashboard, tactile feedback and wind simulation...so there is a lot going on for the CPU in addition of feeding the GPU (which is a RTX 3080Ti, so really greedy of frames to generate...)

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Hi Doug, I have a Intel i7-9700K overclocked at 5GHz and ARC was taking between 15-17% of CPU load according to Task Manager. In a normal situation ARC runs at 1-2% max.

BTW I decided to go for a i9-9900K to double the threads the CPU can handle, from 8 to 16. I hope it will help as when I race I use simhub with 2 dashboard, tactile feedback and wind simulation...so there is a lot going on for the CPU in addition of feeding the GPU (which is a RTX 3080Ti, so really greedy of frames to generate...)

Hope it helps
Just to manage expectations a bit (based on my experience with a Ryzen 5 : 6 cores, 12 "threads")
  • When no race in progress (and not downloading leaderboards), ARC consumes < 1% cpu
  • During a race it consumes 1-5% cpu (basically it needs to poll many times a second to harvest all the info)
  • At the end of a race, it will jump to around 15% for 10-20 seconds as it processes and stores the results
A quick word about cpu "threads" and specifically Intel hyperthreading... You don't necessary expect to double the throughput of threads in the CPU. IIRC, Intel mentions a potential 30% boost over non-hyperthreading (ie just using the physical cores). This is because while the core duplicates some resources, others are not and must be shared. In the worst case scenario, hyperthreading may give worse performance than with hyperthreading off. This is really only the case with very intense thread operations that don't do a lot of context switching - the overhead of switching them out of context to allow another thread to use the shared resources could exceed the case of just allowing it exclusive access.

But that's just a long way of saying don't expect a doubling of throughput.

Anyway, if ARC is consuming more than 1 virtual core during a race, that is a sign of an issue. I'll be adding performance monitoring so hopefully I can get a better idea of what is happening when performance gets out of control. In addition, I'll add something to optionally shut down monitoring if cpu usage is exceeded

Just to manage expectations a bit (based on my experience with a Ryzen 5 : 6 cores, 12 "threads")
  • When no race in progress (and not downloading leaderboards), ARC consumes < 1% cpu
  • During a race it consumes 1-5% cpu (basically it needs to poll many times a second to harvest all the info)
  • At the end of a race, it will jump to around 15% for 10-20 seconds as it processes and stores the results
A quick word about cpu "threads" and specifically Intel hyperthreading... You don't necessary expect to double the throughput of threads in the CPU. IIRC, Intel mentions a potential 30% boost over non-hyperthreading (ie just using the physical cores). This is because while the core duplicates some resources, others are not and must be shared. In the worst case scenario, hyperthreading may give worse performance than with hyperthreading off. This is really only the case with very intense thread operations that don't do a lot of context switching - the overhead of switching them out of context to allow another thread to use the shared resources could exceed the case of just allowing it exclusive access.

But that's just a long way of saying don't expect a doubling of throughput.

Anyway, if ARC is consuming more than 1 virtual core during a race, that is a sign of an issue. I'll be adding performance monitoring so hopefully I can get a better idea of what is happening when performance gets out of control. In addition, I'll add something to optionally shut down monitoring if cpu usage is exceeded
Thanks for the expectation setting Doug. Yep, not expecting at all doubling performance, but just something noticeable with an easy CPU upgrade which should take a few minutes to do.
Thanks again for looking into it.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 7.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.4%