Assetto Corsa Competizione New Screenshot, Misano Launch Tomorrow

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Competizione Misano Release .jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione will get its first public airing after E3 at Misano tomorrow, as Kunos Simulazioni take the upcoming title to the Blancpain GT Series for the first time...

Much anticipated since the game was first revealed as in the works by successful Italian development team Kunos back in February, ACC, the official videogame of the Blancpain GT Series, will be on site at the upcoming Misano round of the real world series this coming weekend for the public to try, marking another milestone in the development of the title prior to releasing on Steam Early Access later this summer.

Utilising the Unreal 4 graphics engine, an official licence for the epic Blancpain GT Series and featuring time of day and weather conditions for the first time in a simulation developed by Kunos, ACC isn't strictly the successor to the hugely popular Assetto Corsa, but more of a branching out by Kunos as they investigate new technologies such as the Unreal engine. The end result, a rather exceptional looking new title that features a full simulation of the most exciting GT3 racing championship anywhere in the world...

With the Misano round this weekend, and a promise of plenty of access to the title for members of the public, it wouldn't be a stretch to expect ACC isn't all that far away from coming to Steam Early Access, then we'll all get the chance to give it a try for ourselves...

Assetto Corsa Competizione should be available on Steam Early Access Summer 2018.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting upcoming sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to ACC? Do you think the new title will be a success? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date!

Damn you should help Stephano do some coding!

Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date! Release date!
Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down! Calm down!
:)

I think it's this one https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/

I'd love to have one of these. I dont trust VR tech that much and a single screen is better than 3 in the end if it can be this wide. But looks like these mega wide screens are easy to have trouble :(
*Not like I have money for it anyway haha, in a near future for sure!
There is coming new model - instead of 3840x1080 it will be 3840x1440 resolution, i alsi would like to have this monitor, as guys coming from 27" 1440p 144hz tripples were telling they prefer this 49" samsung, and of course you can push more nicier graphics, as tripples takes 5780x1080, and usually i has to drop graphics as i play 75hz v-sync on, in this case i get buttery smooth experience.

So..I have been to Misano yesterday.
First of all Stefano and the whole team where very down to earth, very friendly and happy to talk about the new game and the new challenges (I wanted to point this out first because I think that from the forums someone pictured a wrong image of Stefano).
About the game itself..I tried 3 rounds (Assetto's guys were starting to kicking me out :rolleyes::D), two with dry conditions, one with "strange conditions" : a slightly wet track which has nearly dried up, but still has some puddles here and there, on slick tyres.
Regarding the first situation, I choose it to try to compare ACCompetizione to ACorsa with something as similar as it gets, but honestly I'm struggling to do so, since the rig was very different from my own, the setup was pretty "safe" and so on.
A couple of things I noticed, but take them with a pinch of salt as the above disclaimer applies:
I could feel a bit more what the car was doing under braking, a lot of understeer in low speed corners and the way the car reacted as it loses grip on higher speed corners was a bit different from now, but I need to drive Assetto more to elaborate on exactly how.
As previuosly stated, all this could be simpy placebo/setup/rig based.
Regarding the second challenge...it was quite a challenge! Very tricky, it was a continuos fight between the will of doing dry lines and trying to dodge the puddles, as I guess it is in real life too. Crossing over the wet parts produced a significant loss of grip and in some cases even brief aquaplaning, when for splits of a second I had basically no control of the car.
All in all very fun and I think that this adds a degree of variability and depth which would make a race much, much more challenging and fun.
Regarding the graphics, I'll just say that looking at other people playing it really seemed like tv footage, simply awesome (expecially at night), maybe as others pointed out the colors during the day were a bit too much towards blue tints.
I also want to confirm that a lot of Blancpain's drivers were there to test it, and they all seemed pretty impressed, the biggest flaw they could find was the lack of g-forces (obviously not an ACC problem though) which made it difficult for them to predict the car beahaviour as well as they manage to do in real life.
Moreover, Stefano told me that this was a much later build than the E3's one, that now the weather is dynamic(there is wet/dry progression with less grip on wet grippy lines for example) and that they are still evolving it step by step, with the ultimate depth limit set by the time deadlines they have.
Lastly, something I found both curious and an example of the passion that drives them was the subtle excitement Stefano had when telling me that drivers explained them something they haven't heard before : in wet conditions drivers use to try to pick up the marbles with the tyres in order to increase their tread..."we are definitely going to implement that as well " plus a big smile!
All in all a very interesting and fun experience (if you can, go meet them!), thanks to all the team and..now I am even more excited for the game!
P.S. They should reveal the early access date "soon", I couldn't obtain more than that, but I tried :whistling:

Just burned my gtx 660ti yesterday, a new 1060 is on it’s way. So I should be ready for EA...
Super hyped here after reading some impressions by people who visited Misano!

...maybe as others pointed out the colors during the day were a bit too much towards blue tints.
I haven't seen the game in Misano on scene of course, but imo the blue tints look pretty good.

Not too unlike real world looks like, in certain lighting conditions. Sky is blue, it reflects from surfaces like dashboard. Shadowy areas have blue in them, and aerial perspective makes distant things often blue in real life

592a5b2855ea7-24h_00010.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

How Assetto Corsa (or many other older sims) look, is not good reference point into how sim should look (depending on lighting of course, blue tint isn't always there IRL either)

5f12fa1d8d9b0b54d3a50539a3562c1b.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Imo ACC is much more cohesive and real looking, overall. In AC1 colors often look like they are not connected, not from same cohesive world. Imo we should also allow some artistic freedom to the developers, if they think a tint looks good...

Details like this

CvblgFW.png

Show that the colors aren't really accident... but everything in the car reflects light, just like in real life. Which then makes some things appear bluish. The engine probably follows just 1 cohesive logic of light

Last edited:
I haven't seen the game in Misano on scene of course, but imo the blue tints look pretty good.

Not too unlike real world looks like, in certain lighting conditions. Sky is blue, it reflects from surfaces like dashboard. Shadowy areas have blue in them, and aerial perspective makes distant things often blue in real life

maxresdefault.jpg

How Assetto Corsa (or many other older sims) look, is not good reference point into how sim should look (depending on lighting of course, blue tint isn't always there IRL either)

maxresdefault.jpg

Imo ACC is much more cohesive and real looking, overall. In AC1 colors often look like they are not connected, not from same cohesive world. Imo we should also allow some artistic freedom to the developers, if they think a tint looks good...
Yeah they can have all the freedom they want, I was just expressing how my impression was that they maybe were a tad too much towards the blue. I understand the effect they are trying to simulate, but it seemed a little bit overdone. Overall the colors are much better, but as they can have freedom of choosing the colors palette they want I think I have the same freedom of expressing my opinion on their choice. End of the day its probably slightly subjective, and as I said overall the colors are still very good and the graphics a leap forward compared to assetto and probably any other sim out there imo.

Yeah they can have all the freedom they want, I was just expressing how my impression was that they maybe were a tad too much towards the blue. I understand the effect they are trying to simulate, but it seemed a little bit overdone.
Sure and you might be right, we have only cell phone footage from Misano so it's hard to tell. I liked the Spa videos though, didn't see it as overdone. But there is always also Reshade for people who want to change color balance.

The million different PP filters of AC (even the weirdest ones having some die-hard fans) and oversaturated reshades all over YouTube that are used to ruin other games, that originally looked great, have shown that people will never agree on one certain look

Last edited:
There is coming new model - instead of 3840x1080 it will be 3840x1440 resolution, i alsi would like to have this monitor, as guys coming from 27" 1440p 144hz tripples were telling they prefer this 49" samsung, and of course you can push more nicier graphics, as tripples takes 5780x1080, and usually i has to drop graphics as i play 75hz v-sync on, in this case i get buttery smooth experience.
While the one with 1440p res is nice I think the 1080 one will give you a wider fov, isn't it? I'd be in serious doubt which one to buy if I could lol
Yeah big issue with triples (when there is proper triple support) is that they render each monitor to give you the correct view rather than a simple wide resolution so it takes a lot more power to run, the problem ofc wont exist with a super wide single screen.

Dries Vanthoor (driver for Audi) testing ACC

While recording the video it was nice to see Kunos' guys having a look at Vanthoor: at first it seemed like they were happy to see another guys testing the sim, after the first impressions... well, Dries simply did not let go the steering wheel for almost one hour and he had all the developers around him listening to his feedback. :D

Feeling puddles on the steering wheel was really a cool experience: depending on the speed you are driving, the effect will be higher or lower (with "effect" I mean the pysical calculation that leads to it, not that it's a canned FFB effect) and you can really feel the car moving toward the puddle direction.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Details like this

CvblgFW.png

Show that the colors aren't really accident... but everything in the car reflects light, just like in real life. Which then makes some things appear bluish. The engine probably follows just 1 cohesive logic of light
Yeah, lighting, light reflection of materials is physically based in UE4. But devs do have choices in terms of colours in textures, screen colour grading and such. Maybe we still get a saturation setting.

Sure and you might be right, we have only cell phone footage from Misano so it's hard to tell. I liked the Spa videos though, didn't see it as overdone. But there is always also Reshade for people who want to change color balance.

The million different PP filters of AC (even the weirdest ones having some die-hard fans) and oversaturated reshades all over YouTube that are used to ruin other games, that originally looked great, have shown that people will never agree on one certain look
Reshade don't wort on DX 12..
Don't work in VR to.... So we need a good colour balance at the start;)

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 67 65.0%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 45 43.7%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 20 19.4%
Back