Assetto Corsa: Steam Pre-Order Price 40-45 Euro

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Last edited by a moderator:
You will be hard pushed to find a UK high street shop now still selling PC games. If you want a hard copy you have to look online, amazon or play etc.

The thing is, €45 doesn't even get you the full game any more. 5-10 years ago that would have bought you the full game and that's it. However in today's market you will probably have another €40-100 of DLC to buy on top of the €45 initial price in order to get "the full game". No one forces you to buy the DLC of course, but then if you don't then you get "left behind" and things like online racing etc often then becomes difficult.

I will always happily pay top dollar for a genuine sim that pushes my buttons, as it stands, AC "could" become the best selling sim of all time.
If so, that means....

Large community for mods and online racing.
Excellent car and track list.
Steady flow of desirable AAA sim quality tracks and cars
Another game to follow on from the success of AC.

If that's not worth top dollar then nothing is.

And this is why payed DLC is completely wrong thing to do... in such occasions.
especially for tracks

Because it separates players, and becomes a milking strategy for those who play online.

I can understand Car DLC because then you would be able to choose from the cars of the same series that are in the initial release. but tracks will exclude some players from certain events completely.

especially for tracks

Because it separates players, and becomes a milking strategy for those who play online.

I can understand Car DLC because then you would be able to choose from the cars of the same series that are in the initial release. but tracks will exclude some players from certain events completely.

This is why rather than selling full lockout DLC it would be preferable for kunos to sell DLC as HD versions / HD key for content , that way everyone could race on-line and those that want nicer graphics or to support kunos can pay to get the HD versions of tracks and cars.

Could also have it so that the HD DLC also gives single player access to the content where as what comes with the game for free is on-line only.

Who knows what they will do but its certainly important that users don't get fragmented on-line.

If they do keep it so you have to buy certain tracks and cars its likely the case that vast majority of the servers will keep to the content that comes with the base game making it hard to find races on DLC tracks with DLC cars.

especially for tracks

AAA sim phyx and Lazer scanned tracks must be paid for.
I normally hate some DLC practices, but in the case of AAA sim developers, they can do whatever they want as long as the content is factory quality and desirable.

Think of owning maybe the best sim racing game for 3-5yrs for a cost of $100-$150 with all/most content...that's peanuts.

hmmmm no!
I can understand the licensing issue, everything else is just excuses to milk more money.
if they can't afford to do it,then don't do it...simple

Some years ago,DLC was free because devs and publishers used that to keep the game fresh and push more sales over time. OVER TIME.

They did not plan the DLC before the game.
Then they saw they can make extra money out of it,and thus we have the system present today.

and as longs as there are people who willing to accept every choice a company makes,without even questioning it,everything will change for worse.

And it already did.

Here is how I see things planning out. Preorder £40 comes with free dlc for life. On release £20-30 with dlc costing maybe £10 per pack. For me I thought it would be about this price maybe more. It is very good value this game will turn sim racing on its head.

I for one will be inviting all my friends who aren't sim racers (some playstation racers) over for a time trail slash one on one heats to get them all to try AC. To try and get them involved if we all did that to get more people to buy AC the community would grow and I'm sure we would see free dlc for many years to come.

I can't wait.

Let's stop whining and make sure as many people buy this game as possible because we will all benefit I am sure.

as someone who will not buy it,unless it comes completely DRM free.
and that means that most likely I will not buy it.

i don't care,
also never mentioned free.
licenses are still a problem,
you just read what you want to read.
but lately dlc has come to a point that divides players for online,again general observation.

a model that works would be free tracks and car dlc, unless you can play online temporarily downloading a track for example.then payed track is not dividing players anymore.

Anyways I stop it here since it is offtopic.and generally arguing in this part of the board only adds frustration.

I should say that Steam works well for me, thanks for putting it on there so I can get a copy of the game easily.

I like the idea of only the HD version of tracks costing money, but even at lower graphics levels, everyone wants to be driving on the same laser scan surface so I don't know if they can justify making tracks that way.

Is it really better to have the game finalized with the tracks it comes with at release, and just have Kunos never update it again, rather than to license tracks and include them as DLC? I think people are more likely to stick with the game if they release new top-quality content regularly.

I'm sorry, but Assetto Corsa an AAA Title? While Kunos' Work probably comes close to an AAA Tiltle quality-whise, it is by no means an AAA Title! From my understanding an AAA game is backed by a large studio and publisher with massive budgets (an AAA Title has to sell millions of copys to even make a single $ profit). Kunos probably comes closer to an Indiddev from that perspective...

I'm not going to go into the reasons on why you should pick steam over regular retail again, as some of you just seem to ignore the good arguments...

Some years ago,DLC was free because devs and publishers used that to keep the game fresh and push more sales over time. OVER TIME.

To get to the DLC part: As AC is no AAA Title they dont have the funds to license large amounts of cars and tracks in advance to sell more copies "OVER TIME" like a GT5 does (And as all of you know is Sony shovelling millions over to PD for that game).
Free DLC some years ago? Can you maybe give some examples? For me that only existed as Patches and payware ADDONS (= DLC? but with an extra fee for the publisher?). Yeah, maybe a couple of games that were a huge success and made lots and lots of profit allowed their devs to give a little "thank you" to the fans.

They did not plan the DLC before the game.
Then they saw they can make extra money out of it,and thus we have the system present today.

What you are describing is the practise of (for example) EA selling you another (I dont know, pink?) skin for your spacesuit in Mass Effect 8 for 5$, just for the fun of it. Does that really apply to Kunos? Are you seriously suggesting that they are just greedy and should support you with 5 years of free DLC instead, an amount of content that might exceed the content of the base game multiple times? DLC is one of, if not THE easiest way to directly support your developer, and in Kunos case probably the only way they can support future content on a regular basis (and thats what we all want right?). Let's be honest, new cars and tracks for a racing game comes closer to an ADDON from the old days, like there were in the RTS genre for example...

and as longs as there are people who willing to accept every choice a company makes,without even questioning it,everything will change for worse.

Have you been on the internet lately?

I should say that Steam works well for me, thanks for putting it on there so I can get a copy of the game easily.

I like the idea of only the HD version of tracks costing money, but even at lower graphics levels, everyone wants to be driving on the same laser scan surface so I don't know if they can justify making tracks that way.

Is it really better to have the game finalized with the tracks it comes with at release, and just have Kunos never update it again, rather than to license tracks and include them as DLC? I think people are more likely to stick with the game if they release new top-quality content regularly.

Obviously the core track mesh would be the same in all versions , you would just lock to lower resolution textures or something along those lines for the "free" version of the DLC.

The key is so that people that buy the DLC are still just as likely to find full servers to race on with that DLC or for public servers to run that DLC in the track cycle.

Its also important for developers to keep releasing content for games as it sustains interest with current users and drives new sales. It just has to be done in a way that the new content doesn't end up fragmenting the user base into ever smaller groups of people that have access to x content or ever smaller groups of people willing to pay for x content.

Low res textures for free? Hmm really, who wants this?

People don't want low resolution textures in the DLC that's the whole point.

People that want to support kunos / want nicer graphics and the best experance will pay to unlock it and those that don't will still race and join servers , which then gives people that do pay for for the DLC more people to race against and less fragmentation of the on-line experience.

If you can only access some tracks and cars buy buying DLC then you are most likely going to end up with servers that don't include the DLC as being the most popular ones and the servers that include DLC as being largely empty or servers will simply just be composed of free tracks made by modders rather than DLC.

So now Kunos should make two versions of a track, low res and high res, and only charge for the high res....wow

Here's a thought; If $60 is too much for you to pay for a game and upgrading your pc every two or three years is out of the question and the very notion of DLC makes your blood boil then you might want to look for a cheaper hobby. (or continue playing gtr2 or race07)

Here is what I remember from the good ole days: A game came out complete when you bought it and costs around $30 (which is roughly the same as $60 today, damn inflation)
A year or so later the same game came out with a couple more features and a little prettier graphics for another $30. Online Multiplayer wasn't available so that is something that game devs have to create now that they didn't then...and when you could go on-line and race other people you payed long distance phone charges of around $1.50 a minute.

So many things in this thread that make me shake my head but I really couldn't believe the person that thinks the cost of DLC should only cover the cost of the license for the product. Ya'll understand that these are grown men making this sim that have families and such, they are not a couple of kids living with their parents and no bills to pay.

Do ya'll really think that if everybody boycotts Kunos (or any other dev for that matter) and they go out of business that somebody else will think "If I offer a better product for less money everybody will buy it" because what will happen is the next dev in line will actually think "if they couldn't sell then it must be a dead market" and no more sims will be coming out.

7 to 10 laser scanned tracks with DX11 graphics
30+ cars including Lotus 79, Lotus 98T, Pagani, McLaren, Bmw, Ferrari, and many others
Most realistic physics to date (Netkar Pro, FVA, P&Gv3, and Tech Preview shows this)
AI
Open source ready for mods (cars, tracks, and GUI)
Career mode
Drifting, Drag racing, time trials, point to point, race weekends, and open practice game modes
Dev support for the core sim (plus DLC if you want it) for at least 5 years

Seems like a good deal to me.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 33 16.0%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 29 14.1%
  • Thursday

Votes: 27 13.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 72 35.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 115 55.8%