Car Pictures

1974 McLaren M8 E/D

Screenshot_20240523-083750_Chrome.jpg

I knew nothing about this car until this morning when I saw it on a scale model.

1974 McLaren M8 E/D

I knew nothing about this car until this morning when I saw it on a scale model.

Monstrous cars. Powered by a variety of big block V8s, most often a Chevy 454 bored to near 500ci, if you floored the throttle at 80mph in third gear it would smoke the rear tires and fishtail down the track. I can't imagine one with a turbo.

1992 Mega Monte Carlo GTB. Basic design by race driver Fulvio Ballabio (who? lol, years in F2, F1, CART, GT, and LMP, produced an overall best finish of 6th at LeMans one year); all carbon fiber body and tub, powered by a Carlo Chiti designed twin turbo V12 of 720hp, and with an all up weight of only 2200lb providing a hp/weight ratio less than half that of a Viper, Diablo, or Testarossa. The cars were manufactured in Monte Carlo and slated for delivery in late 1992, for a mere $500k each, Phil Hill drove one of the prototypes; but supply problems, financial problems, and labor problems plagued the company and "only a handful" were produced before the project quietly disappeared.

monte-inline-1.jpg

monte-inline-2.jpg

monte-inline-last.jpg

monte-engine.jpg

Last edited:
1960 Fiat 306 transporter, custom built by their Bartoletto bus division for Lance Reventlow's Scarab F1 team (the first US F1 team), which only competed in six events before pulling out of F1 (fast cars with notoriously unreliable engines).
FIAT-306-Bartoletti-1960-27.jpg

The transporter was leased to Lotus, who used it for their F1 team for two years. It was then sold to Camoradi racing (Maseratis), who added the second rear axle for hauling heavier cars. But financial difficulties (always the bane of Maserati) meant they couldn't pay for it, so it was acquired by Carrol Shelby, who used it for Shelby Cobras and Daytona Coupes around Europe.
FIAT-306-Bartoletti-1960-23.jpg

In 1965 Alan Mann Racing took over Ford's European program and acquired the transporter from Shelby. It continued carrying Cobras and Daytona Coupes.
FIAT-306-Bartoletti-1960-25.jpg

And it was the vehicle which carried the Ford GTs to LeMans
FIAT-3062-Bartoletti-1960-14.jpg

In 1967 it was sold and went through two private owners until 1970 when it was leased by Steve McQueen, repainted from green to red, and used as the Scuderia Ferrari racing transporter in the film "LeMans". The JCB Historic racing team acquired it, retaining the red paint, and used it til 1976 when they leased it to GTC Mirage for their Le Mans effort. In 1982 it was purchased by Michael Shoen (the motorsport author) who kept the Ferrari livery, brought it to the US, and used it for vintage cars; til a divorce led to the transporter being parked in the Arizona desert and virtually forgotten for twenty years. In 2006 a Scarab collector acquired it and spent over $600k on a full restoration; it returned to the public eye at the Monterey Historics in 2008. (The only non-original item being a modern Leyland six cylinder turbo-diesel replacing the aging Fiat four cylinder diesel.)
FIAT-306-Bartoletti-1960-22.jpg

FIAT-3062-Bartoletti-1960-21.jpg

The transporter is back in Europe now, on display in the ChromeCars museum.

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 276 37.0%
  • Porsche

Votes: 284 38.1%
  • BMW

Votes: 266 35.7%
  • McLaren

Votes: 174 23.4%
  • Toyota

Votes: 281 37.7%
  • Intel

Votes: 93 12.5%