Differences in newer VR sets for racing?

I have a Rift, and I don't use it because of lack of resolution/sharpness in objects as far away as the dashboard (reading instruments). The only thing I really like in it is Google Earth VR.

I am willing to give VR another try, but I am unsure how the other headsets are doing wrt this problem.
  • Rift S has a bit more resolution, but I hate the software quite a bit and I would try something else
  • HP? Supposed to have higher resolution, but how does that actually translate?
  • Valve? Software is supposed to be pretty solid now.

How are they doing for readability? How intrusive is the software?

Is there a Sim specific comparison test somewhere?

ETA: playing AC, ACC and DCS on a 980ti. I am aware that I probably need a new card for the new headset.

Do you just sim race or do you play other games in VR?

Valve Index is pretty crisp and has the best blacks and sound.

For race and flight sims, the Pimax is the best headset. It is the easiest to read text and provides the amazing FOV which makes all the difference.
The Rift S isn't enough of an upgrade imho and personally, for sitting experiences I prefer the Quest with link cable.

So, if you do a lot of VR stuff:
Valve Index
If Sim Racing is your jam:
Pimax 5k+ or 8k+
If you want to spend less money and not more:
Oculus Quest.

These are my recommendations that I have experience with. Can't recommend a WMR since I never tried them.

Hope it helps.

Thanks so much, that is what I was looking for.

For the Pimax I guess my 980ti party will be over, right? Is any card able to drive it correctly in ACC?

I only do a little more VR stuff, e.g. Google Earth VR, but no major games.

• Deleted member 197115

What happened to new Pimax models? Haven't seen any feedback from users yet.

Nice video. Illustrates my point nicely.

So I'd be in $2500 for headset and card :-/

Last edited:
I have a Rift, and I don't use it because of lack of resolution/sharpness in objects as far away as the dashboard (reading instruments). The only thing I really like in it is Google Earth VR.

I am willing to give VR another try, but I am unsure how the other headsets are doing wrt this problem.
  • Rift S has a bit more resolution, but I hate the software quite a bit and I would try something else
  • HP? Supposed to have higher resolution, but how does that actually translate?
  • Valve? Software is supposed to be pretty solid now.

How are they doing for readability? How intrusive is the software?

Is there a Sim specific comparison test somewhere?

ETA: playing AC, ACC and DCS on a 980ti. I am aware that I probably need a new card for the new headset.
I own and use a Lenovo Explorer (1400x1400), the Pimax 5k and a HP Reverb. And I have tried the rest of the bunch.

The resolution is WAY WAY better on a HP Reverb than a RiftS. For just sim use, it’s hard to beat. The difference between a Rift and a Reverb is like VHS and blu ray. It’s not that hard on the computer, because it’s native resolution is high enough, so you don’t need to SS as much.

The Pimax 5K, are getting better and better, with 120 Hz and ever evolving. (Yes, the same headset are learning new tricks.) And the big FOV is great!

For SimRacing I use the HP Reverb the most, it has good enough resolution that I don’t need a screen anymore, I can do everything in VR. For hours.

OMG, SweViver does it again.
This thrue
If this through the lens comparasment holds water then anything lower than the 8Kx is pure trash:sleep:

This through the lens thing are just nonsense. Try to film your 4K screen, with a microscope. You can have the same effect. You can’t film the experience of a VR headset like that. The only thing it shows are the camera in use isn’t up for the job, and if you use a magnifying glass, everything with pixels will get pixelated... It’s not representative of what you see at all...

I own and use a Lenovo Explorer (1400x1400), the Pimax 5k and a HP Reverb. And I have tried the rest of the bunch.

The resolution is WAY WAY better on a HP Reverb than a RiftS. For just sim use, it’s hard to beat. The difference between a Rift and a Reverb is like VHS and blu ray. It’s not that hard on the computer, because it’s native resolution is high enough, so you don’t need to SS as much.

The Pimax 5K, are getting better and better, with 120 Hz and ever evolving. (Yes, the same headset are learning new tricks.) And the big FOV is great!

For SimRacing I use the HP Reverb the most, it has good enough resolution that I don’t need a screen anymore, I can do everything in VR. For hours.

So, if I understand that correctly a Pimax 5x has just a couple pixels more than the HP, but 200 degrees FoV instead of 119. That should mean that the HP has more pixels available straight to the front, e.g. to read instruments on a dashboard. Is that correct?

Thanks again.

So, if I understand that correctly a Pimax 5x has just a couple pixels more than the HP, but 200 degrees FoV instead of 119. That should mean that the HP has more pixels available straight to the front, e.g. to read instruments on a dashboard. Is that correct?

Thanks again.
The Pimax 5k has more pixels, but since it has to use those on a larger surface, it’s not as clear as the Reverb. The Reverb is the best headset for a clear image. But the FOV in Pimax 5k, makes it more immersive. The Pimax 5k feels like it is between the RiftS and the Valve in clearness. Closer to the Valve than the Rift S.

I prefer the clearness of the Reverb. It’s not clear like a 4K monitor, more like a 1080.
But in VR. I will always prefer VR!

980ti for index, reverb or Pimax isn’t going to happen.
A 1080 and Reverb with high CPU clock speed are working great, so a 980ti should work ok. It’s often the CPU that’s the most important thing in VR. Also, with the Reverb, you don’t need to Super Sample as much, so it’s not that much harder to drive than a Rift S.

Thanks so much, that is what I was looking for.

For the Pimax I guess my 980ti party will be over, right? Is any card able to drive it correctly in ACC?

I only do a little more VR stuff, e.g. Google Earth VR, but no major games.
I ran one through a 1070 and it works. You have to undersample it a bit but it works. And it was still an improvement over the standard rift. The pimax 5K+ already offers great clarity. Try to score one second hand for 400~500. Then get a new GPU. An rtx 2070 Super is king in bang4buck for VR. So that is another 450 or so. Look at 1000 for a decent upgrade.

The Pimax 5k has more pixels, but since it has to use those on a larger surface, it’s not as clear as the Reverb. The Reverb is the best headset for a clear image. But the FOV in Pimax 5k, makes it more immersive. The Pimax 5k feels like it is between the RiftS and the Valve in clearness. Closer to the Valve than the Rift S.

I prefer the clearness of the Reverb. It’s not clear like a 4K monitor, more like a 1080.
But in VR. I will always prefer VR!
I tried the Pimax and the Index back to back and the clarity on the pimax is better using the normal FOV. The colour levels were not as good but it was easier to read dials and menus.

I tried the Pimax and the Index back to back and the clarity on the pimax is better using the normal FOV. The colour levels were not as good but it was easier to read dials and menus.
Ok, I didn’t try them back to back. I don’t own the Index myself. Just Pimax and Reverb. And the Reverb is a lot clearer than tha 5k, and also easier on the PC. But the FOV is smaller ofc.

Ok, I didn’t try them back to back. I don’t own the Index myself. Just Pimax and Reverb. And the Reverb is a lot clearer than tha 5k, and also easier on the PC. But the FOV is smaller ofc.
Just my impression obviously. I took some "through the lense photos" with no zoom and need that SD card to do a proper comparison. Never tried the HP but honestly, once you get that FOV on the Pimax... It is hard to go back...

I've made 120 "large fov" my main for a while now. I do miss the extra width of the actual large fov but the smoothness in gameplay makes up for it.

For those not aware, when using 120hz more on the 5k+ the fov shrinks over what it normally is.

Ideally, I can have my cake and eat it too so true large fov with 120hz would be the dream.

I'm also interested to see if the increase in clarity of the 8k+ will be worth the drop in hz and if I'll be able to notice it in gameplay.

I have the rift/Rift s and pimax. Also tried the reverb. You will need a new gpu for all these headsets. You do want it for Rift as well with supersampling you do see further though the resolution is what it is.

The wider fov of the pimax is nice but for racing I feel it´s not really all that necessary. I would say it´s more important to increase the pixel density by running lower fov so you can see further ahead instead of more to the sides.

Reverb is really crisp but my 2080ti can´t run it anywear near it´s potential. Framerates is crucial for racing so out of those I would say Rift S despite the software. Its a bit easier to setup and you don´t need cameras.

Index will be a bit tougher to drive but sure if you manage to get it run at 144 hz on a 2080ti or something I am sure you will notice it compared to Rift S 80 hz.

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • Porsche

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • BMW

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • McLaren

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Toyota

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • Intel

Votes: 13 15.1%