Differences in newer VR sets for racing?

You are completely right. With the Oculus link, Facebook really made the Rift S redundant.
One minor point in favour of the Rift S though is that it is more comfortable. The Quest is really heavy due to being an all in one.

I have used the quest and I don't find the SDE particularly jarring. Mind you, I still use a rift at home.

In what way? Link don´t remove the pentile OLED panels on the Quest. Rift S also have an extra camera so it tracks a bit better. Optics is still the same. Overall design is still the same. If you want wireless you go quest. If you have absolutely no need for wireless I would go rift S as the halo don´t interferr with my headphones luckily. Stock audio on Rift S is absolutely horrible :)

As for Vive cosmos sadly I haven´t heard that good but now that they dropped prices who knows and hopefully that have revised it just like the hp reverb is revised. You do have a chance to get better hand controls and tracking with the light houses the one that came with reverb is not up to par with the oculus touch controllers.

But for racing that is not something you really need I had no problem with drifting or the reverbs headtracking while sitting.

NVidia is "supposed" to announce the 30 series March 20th ? Not sure when the cards will be available. If I were about to buy, I might wait for the announcement because it "may" cause current video card prices to drop and you may decide to wait until the new cards are released.

I have my GPU set through the NVidia settings to run at full clock speed whenever it is in VR and I haven't seen any stuttering in ages. I think that is an important setting.

For the Index, recent updates to SteamVR and VRSS have been a solid improvements. I'm very satisfied with my Index for everything. I still think it is the best all around system available.

I would still like a wider field of view and more resolution, but running 120 fps is extremely comfortable for long races. In many games the Index has enough resolution to feel crisp, clear and believable across the visual range. This has to do with both the distance of the objects around you and how things are rendered. Sim racing is very demanding compared to many other games in terms of what you expect to see at different distances.

There is a difference between seeing everything you need to see to gauge brake points and knowing that you should be able to read a brake distance marker further way than you can. In the heat of a race, I don't think about it, but those little things can break immersion if you think about them.

Reactions: dud
@RCHeliguy can you elaborate more on this m8 please :thumbsup:

Set "Prefer maximum performance" for your racing sims rather than adaptive or optimal power.

Nvidia Settings -> 3D Settings then by game.

1582490487884.png

Okay, bumping this with what my takeaway is.

Two choices going up:
  • Move FOV, but tradeoff with refresh and resolution: Pimax 5k+ or 8k+, and a 2080ti or maybe a 2080
  • Just higher resolution looking forward, and cheaper: HP Reverb and a 2080, maybe a 2070 or 1080

Does that sound about right?

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Porsche

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • BMW

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • McLaren

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Toyota

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Intel

Votes: 8 13.3%