Differences in newer VR sets for racing?

It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend and for what level of performance.
Most won't shell out $2500 for all the bells and whistles.
So what's the next best thing?

My own quite unqualified bid is that if the 2 Pimax´s (8K+ and 8KX) are launched for real (instead of like now) then they will be best and nextbest.
If you have a system able to feed them.:)

I'd want to try out different headsets to be sure they actually offer an experience that's so much better, it's worth €400 or whatever they are going to cost.

As I see it, there just isn't that much of a difference in the headsets, even between current generation and previous generation, one is slightly better one way, and another is slightly better in a different way. What would make the most difference to you is a new graphics card. If you got a 1080, or RTX card, I think your rift would get a new lease of life. You'd be able to max out AC at least. ACC is another story.

I don't think headsets have come on enough to justify upgrading from the rift.

I have the rift/Rift s and pimax. Also tried the reverb. You will need a new gpu for all these headsets. You do want it for Rift as well with supersampling you do see further though the resolution is what it is.

The wider fov of the pimax is nice but for racing I feel it´s not really all that necessary. I would say it´s more important to increase the pixel density by running lower fov so you can see further ahead instead of more to the sides.

Reverb is really crisp but my 2080ti can´t run it anywear near it´s potential. Framerates is crucial for racing so out of those I would say Rift S despite the software. Its a bit easier to setup and you don´t need cameras.

Index will be a bit tougher to drive but sure if you manage to get it run at 144 hz on a 2080ti or something I am sure you will notice it compared to Rift S 80 hz.
That’s strange, in the SimRacing club I’m in, we are 3 with the Reverb one use a 1080, one a 2070 and me a 2080. No one have any issues at all. So a 980ti, should also be OK. The biggest factor are the CPU, and the clock speed of it.

I'd want to try out different headsets to be sure they actually offer an experience that's so much better, it's worth €400 or whatever they are going to cost.

As I see it, there just isn't that much of a difference in the headsets, even between current generation and previous generation, one is slightly better one way, and another is slightly better in a different way. What would make the most difference to you is a new graphics card. If you got a 1080, or RTX card, I think your rift would get a new lease of life. You'd be able to max out AC at least. ACC is another story.

I don't think headsets have come on enough to justify upgrading from the rift.
Well I think that’s just wrong. A Reverb is a BIG BIG upgrade from a Rift.

Well I think that’s just wrong. A Reverb is a BIG BIG upgrade from a Rift.
Maybe it is, on paper it doesn't look like a big enough jump. That's why I said I'd want to try it first. It would have to be very clearly a big difference for me to think about spending the money on them. Especially if it's going to cost me FPS running a higher resolution.

Maybe it is, on paper it doesn't look like a big enough jump. That's why I said I'd want to try it first. It would have to be very clearly a big difference for me to think about spending the money on them. Especially if it's going to cost me FPS running a higher resolution.

I went from a rift to and odyssey plus to a pimax 5k+

The jump was notable at each point. The od+ got overlooked as it wasn’t sold in the EU and there’s a bigger sim community here than other regions.

• Deleted member 197115

By looking closer at the through the lens video from Pimax employee, it's amazing how great Reverb looks in comparison to Pimax 8XK, pixel density exactly the same, and it's only $600 now.
With ipd of 68 should I even bother with Reverb?

That’s strange, in the SimRacing club I’m in, we are 3 with the Reverb one use a 1080, one a 2070 and me a 2080. No one have any issues at all. So a 980ti, should also be OK. The biggest factor are the CPU, and the clock speed of it.
There is a world of difference between a 1080 and 980ti. I mean you can but you need to downsample to the point its arguable if its sharper then a supersampled Rift S. It will differ from title to title. Rift S struggles with dirt rally 2 and acc at low settings

Have some of you tried the Rift S against the Rift Quest?
Because I have seen a review between these two and the Index and overall the reviewer concluded that there were most overall pro´s in favour for the Quest.

I went from a rift to and odyssey plus to a pimax 5k+

The jump was notable at each point. The od+ got overlooked as it wasn’t sold in the EU and there’s a bigger sim community here than other regions.
How much of a change is "Notable"? I use an Odyssey+ now but would consider an upgrade to a sharper VR image. FWIW, my current vidcard is a GTX 1660TI.

Have some of you tried the Rift S against the Rift Quest?
Because I have seen a review between these two and the Index and overall the reviewer concluded that there were most overall pro´s in favour for the Quest.

Quest still uses a pentile oled panel it will have more of a screendoor effect as it has less subpixels. But it does have a higher res so if you can live with the SDE it may work for you. I find screendoor really don´t help with the immersion though. Even though the brain try to block it out as it´s so unnatural it´s always there and the difference from rift to Rift S, pimax and reverb in that area is immense. I will not buy a headset using pentile oleds again. I love my OLED tv I have at home though. No SDE on that.

Hehe good point.
And thanks for explaining the Quest things.
One of the reasons I ask is because it sounds like Rift/Facebook are planning to make more future upd on the Quest than on the S model.
You are completely right. With the Oculus link, Facebook really made the Rift S redundant.
One minor point in favour of the Rift S though is that it is more comfortable. The Quest is really heavy due to being an all in one.

I have used the quest and I don't find the SDE particularly jarring. Mind you, I still use a rift at home.

The Quest is really heavy due to being an all in one.
Im interrested in the Quest because if the picture is acceptable then the combination of standalone/PC connected is some kind of safeguard against not being able to run VR reasonable because your CPU/GPU are too weak.
Just my way of thinking.:D

Im interrested in the Quest because if the picture is acceptable then the combination of standalone/PC connected is some kind of safeguard against not being able to run VR reasonable because your CPU/GPU are too weak.
Well, If you want to use it for SimRacing, and connect it to a cable, you only use the screen. So it’s not a safeguard, just a heavy unit.

For now, it doesn't safeguard you of nothing. If you use the link cable you are just using your computer to render. There has been rumours of using the Quest's hardware to cover things like more Aliasing. Basically applying a post processing Aliasing filter to the rendered image but those are still down the pipeline.

What you do get is a) a headset with pretty high resolution that looks pretty crisp, b) an all in one console like an XBox for VR that has quite a few experiences available for it, and c) quite nice hand controllers that track better than they should. honestly, I don't know what magic Oculus is using but I played archery games with it and never once did I lose hand tracking while getting an arrow... Is it as good as the Vive or even the Oculus gen 1? Well, noish. Is it good enough that unless you are using them back to back you won't notice? On most cases, I will say yes. Like seriously, they are more than good enough.

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 43 43.0%
  • Porsche

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • BMW

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • McLaren

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Toyota

Votes: 39 39.0%
  • Intel

Votes: 13 13.0%