editing skins, trying to learn

Hi guys, was wondering if someone could point me towards ' a complete idiots guide to editing skins ' Have a skin I want to use for the League rallies and want to change a couple of things. I know if I asked or begged I could probably get someone to do it for me but I'd like to try and do some of it at least myself.

While i want to change a number of things I am happy to to start small and do the names on the side windows. My main issue with that so far seems to be when I am filling in the names on the rgb part of the external transparent dds I can never ever get the colours of the windows just right, it always seems darker and plain than the area surrounding it. I think I might be missing something reasonably simple but am not sure and want to do this right.

I get the bit about filling in the old name on the alpha channel but after that I am lost. Please be gentle, I am a noob at this and am trying to learn.

I have photoshop and the plugin required.

Cheers

You'll need to put the new name onto the alpha channel as well as on the RGB channel.
- type your new name into the RGB layer, resize, reposition until it looks right
- Ctrl-click on the thumbnail for the layer (layers window); this will select all the non-transparent portions
- swap over to the alpha channel and fill the selection with pure white
This will make that section of the window opaque

About editing the windows - if you use GIMP to open/save dds files (it's blistering fast, really trumps over other solutions I've seen. 1 second instead of at least around 'teen-twenty) the transparency on windows is done via color opacity (eg. window transparent in 50% is painted gray with 50 percent opacity.

I find it easier to edit/save .psds for further editing using this method I found just recently. Just a side note :)

Or even better: download a template from Rallyesim and get creative!

I have been looking at the template thing lately and couldn't agree more with Damien, I found for example on my N12 skin if I tried painting some areas of the dds file I just seemed to get the one bright colour over the whole thing, no shading at all where there was shading. It turns out the shading is built into a layer of the psd file before it gets saved as a dds file. When I used the template, the shading built into the template, automatically changed the colour to suit, different shades of the same gold colour. Is a lot of work starting from scratch but practice makes perfect or somewhere close to it :)

Cheers

Yeah, the shading makes all the difference. Not all the templates I've come across use it (like the Impreza 05 I'm using for Rick's skin) but most seem to. I use Inkscape to create the decals for the car and then put it all together in Photoshop.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 26 13.2%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 27 13.7%
  • Friday

Votes: 69 35.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 111 56.3%