F1 2020 Modding Questions Thread

I'm currently working on an Audi racesuit for MyTeam based on the picture below. However, do you and your teammate both get the same outfit, or are there 2 seperate locations in the game files for your own racesuit and that of your teammate? I'm asking because I'd love to put my and my teammate's name on the waist of the suit, however if there's only one location in the game files for the suit and both drivers get the same one, I don't want my teammate to wear my name on his suit.
1595756157896.png

Last edited:
Okay so i modded some stuff before but im just now trying to do f1 liveries and stuff, im going trough this thread and looking for useful info about where to replace which texture and etc. Is it possible for some of you guys that know what they re doing to post a full written tutorial, step by step, for example how to make your livery to replace the racenet one, to name all the .erp files i need to import that custom texture in, possible mipmaps issues etc. Im struggling to make it work and some nice tutorial would make it a lot easier for everyone to get going with this. I know im maybe asking for much but it would be really appreciated, video is not needed, just a text if someone has free time to do it. Thanks in advance :)

Also, if such thing already exists, please link it to me, cheers !

I'm looking for this as well. I used the Fomcar 3D 1.1 download and built a very basic skin I want to test out to see if I'm even remotely doing it correctly but once I save the DDS, I have no idea what is next.

Can anyone provide this information or a link to it? Thank you.

I'm looking for this as well. I used the Fomcar 3D 1.1 download and built a very basic skin I want to test out to see if I'm even remotely doing it correctly but once I save the DDS, I have no idea what is next.

Can anyone provide this information or a link to it? Thank you.
Sadly there is no tutorial still, there is one video from f1 2018:
I suggest you not to skip any parts cause you re gonna get confused fast, other than that the way i learned how to do it and "what to do next" is by trial and error, and asking people here for help.

You need to save the example_d.dds as bc7 Fine 8bpp sRGB, DX11+ and example_s.dds as bc1 4bpp sRGB, DX10+, and then import both those files via EgoArchiver:

First you set your Game Directory in EgoArchiver Settings tab cause of the mipmaps, then you find the next two locations and import your texture over one of the ingame ones (example livery_racenet_01_d.tif)

\F1 2020\2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\myteam_honda\wep\myteam_honda.erp (renault if you use renault engines in mt, or ferrari etc)
and in:
\F1 2020\2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\fom_car\wep\fom_car.erp

When you import the file you ll be asked to select mipmaps, do not just click "Save", search manually for the mipmaps for that exact file (example livery_racenet_01_d.tif.mipmaps) and once you select it press Save.

Once you do that for both files in one archive, you go to File tab and press Save, then you import them in the second location and save there too.

After you replace files in both locations you should be able to see them in game with no issues.

Also if mipmaps folder doesnt automatically show up in EgoArchiver and you have to browse it, it is:
\F1 2020\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\fom_car\textures\liveries

I hope I helped as I wrote this on the go, im fairly new to this myself, but if you need any help feel free to pm me and ask, or ask here because people will help, someone always does, good luck ! Also those compression and color settings I found very important cause the color may turn out pale or such if you use bc3/dxt5 or something else, as I found out myself :)

I'm currently working on an Audi racesuit for MyTeam based on the picture below. However, do you and your teammate both get the same outfit, or are there 2 seperate locations in the game files for your own racesuit and that of your teammate? I'm asking because I'd love to put my and my teammate's name on the waist of the suit, however if there's only one location in the game files for the suit and both drivers get the same one, I don't want my teammate to wear my name on his suit. View attachment 392525
both drivers use the same suit texture

Have a question about erp archiver for anyone who knows - Can I have the game running, alt-tab to desktop, modify a file (e.g the camera pkg file), then import it, then alt-tab back to the game & it’ll work?

Or do I have to close the game completely before importing any modified files then relaunch the game to have the modified file picked up?

Sadly there is no tutorial still, there is one video from f1 2018:
I suggest you not to skip any parts cause you re gonna get confused fast, other than that the way i learned how to do it and "what to do next" is by trial and error, and asking people here for help.

You need to save the example_d.dds as bc7 Fine 8bpp sRGB, DX11+ and example_s.dds as bc1 4bpp sRGB, DX10+, and then import both those files via EgoArchiver:

First you set your Game Directory in EgoArchiver Settings tab cause of the mipmaps, then you find the next two locations and import your texture over one of the ingame ones (example livery_racenet_01_d.tif)

\F1 2020\2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\myteam_honda\wep\myteam_honda.erp (renault if you use renault engines in mt, or ferrari etc)
and in:
\F1 2020\2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\fom_car\wep\fom_car.erp

When you import the file you ll be asked to select mipmaps, do not just click "Save", search manually for the mipmaps for that exact file (example livery_racenet_01_d.tif.mipmaps) and once you select it press Save.

Once you do that for both files in one archive, you go to File tab and press Save, then you import them in the second location and save there too.

After you replace files in both locations you should be able to see them in game with no issues.

Also if mipmaps folder doesnt automatically show up in EgoArchiver and you have to browse it, it is:
\F1 2020\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\fom_car\textures\liveries

I hope I helped as I wrote this on the go, im fairly new to this myself, but if you need any help feel free to pm me and ask, or ask here because people will help, someone always does, good luck ! Also those compression and color settings I found very important cause the color may turn out pale or such if you use bc3/dxt5 or something else, as I found out myself :)

I don't think that tutorial is going to help me...none of the template PSD files have all of those files that are shown in the video (the tifs).

So I tried to mess with racenet_gloves.erp and now all my gloves and helmets are blurry, can someone please tell me what should I do? Where else should I import yhe textures so they stop being blurry (if its like the fom_car thing) ?

So I tried to mess with racenet_gloves.erp and now all my gloves and helmets are blurry, can someone please tell me what should I do? Where else should I import yhe textures so they stop being blurry (if its like the fom_car thing) ?
I haven't done much with the suits/gloves, but there is also a racenet_glove_d.tif file (and all the others) in the 'Racenet01.erp' in addition to the Racenet01_glove.erp. You probably have to modify the glove textures in both ERPs similar to how we have to do all 5 ERPs for car textures.

I don't think that tutorial is going to help me...none of the template PSD files have all of those files that are shown in the video (the tifs).
You don't need all the layers as he has. We don't have that yet. The relevant part to editing in Photoshop is the bit where he edits the 'mercedes_main_paint_d.tif' layer. It's just a layer name, though. In the 2020 template, it'll likely be the only texture layer in the file. You edit it the same way he describes. The EGO-Archiver importing steps are basically the same as well.

I highly recommend backing up the game's original files before replacing them since modifying the liveries and other files will prevent you from playing online until you revert them, and it's easier to copy+paste a handful of changed files rather than validating the game files through steam (which can take bit of time). I also highly recommend setting the game directory in the EGO Archiver to a separate folder where you will be saving your modded liveries instead - similar to how you'll have separate folders with just the changed files when you download someone else's livery.

Okay so I finished my Repsol Honda livery, both car and suit, and I wanted to share it here for people to download.. How do I do that?
I know its maybe a dumb question but I cant seem to find where or how to upload files, not sure if I even can? If someone else wants to upload it instead of me ill be happy to send him the files, cheers

I haven't done much with the suits/gloves, but there is also a racenet_glove_d.tif file (and all the others) in the 'Racenet01.erp' in addition to the Racenet01_glove.erp. You probably have to modify the glove textures in both ERPs similar to how we have to do all 5 ERPs for car textures.

You don't need all the layers as he has. We don't have that yet. The relevant part to editing in Photoshop is the bit where he edits the 'mercedes_main_paint_d.tif' layer. It's just a layer name, though. In the 2020 template, it'll likely be the only texture layer in the file. You edit it the same way he describes. The EGO-Archiver importing steps are basically the same as well.

I highly recommend backing up the game's original files before replacing them since modifying the liveries and other files will prevent you from playing online until you revert them, and it's easier to copy+paste a handful of changed files rather than validating the game files through steam (which can take bit of time). I also highly recommend setting the game directory in the EGO Archiver to a separate folder where you will be saving your modded liveries instead - similar to how you'll have separate folders with just the changed files when you download someone else's livery.

Okay, this is what I did and it worked. Thank you.

1) I initially had saved my 3D model as the .dds file. The correct thing to do is save my texture file (as you said) as 'livery_racenet_01_d.tif.dds'.
2) Open ERP file located in (relative path): \F1 2020\2020_asset_groups\f1_2020_vehicle_package\teams\fom_car\wep\fom_car.erp
3) Upload texture to replace 'livery_racenet_01_d.tif
4) Enjoy

Thank you! This helped a ton. I'm so pumped...this is v1.0 of my skin (I have to add a bunch more sponsors, fix some of the textures to be higher res, etc.)
36a87060-40d8-4caa-b305-223bce556cc2.png

What is the communities overall 'take' on 'one directional' logos such as the duck in the image above? It's supposed to have it's beak facing towards the front of the car on the right side and to the back of the car on the left side, but from a top down view it's not symmetrical resulting in looking different left to right as far as spacing. Or do people mirror one side to the other direction be damned?

What is the communities overall 'take' on 'one directional' logos such as the duck in the image above? It's supposed to have it's beak facing towards the front of the car, but from a top down view it's not symmetrical resulting in looking different left to right as far as spacing. Or do people mirror one side to the other?

I go for symmetrical/mirrored view every time

Follow up question: I was able to view the skin outside of MyTeam (customization menu of the home screen) but once I got into MyTeam, the Racenet livery was a really pixelated copy of the regular one, not my custom one.

I'm sure I missed something or I need to use the actual FOM 70 edition ERP? Where is that? Is it the one that I was using?

EDIT: NVM, it's the same ERP file but 'livery_f170_01_d.tif'.

Okay, having further issues.

I've made some more tweaks to my skin but when I import it, it looks good in the 'Home screen > customization' section but:

1) All other skins are pixelated
2) In MyTeam, my skin is just a pixelated copy of the 70Edition skin not my custom one
3) In MyTeam, all other skins including my current 2020 skin (not custom - using in-game skin options) are pixelated
4) My skins number (87) is pixelated

Here is some screenshots showing what I mean:

2020-07-27 19_09_02-F1 2020 (DirectX 12).png

2020-07-27 19_09_28-F1 2020 (DirectX 12).png

so...
which texture to be replaced for putting racecrew in myteam? garagecrew.erp -> myteam_racecrew_d or anything else?

hey man, for the racecrew you need to replace the myteam_racecrew_d.tiff, if you created a normal texture you can also replace the myteam_racecrew_n and the surface texture with the _s texture.

You also need to replace the one with the _m as they are use for color customization. Replace it with a clear texture. Ypu can do so by editing the texture and paint it completely black. Then go to the channel settings and paint the alpha channel black as well. Save it as intel texture works, settings are [ texture type = Color + Alpha] [compression = bc3 8bpp (linear)]

they erp's location's are

RACECREW

"facilities_common.erp"
STEAM\steamapps\common\F1 2020\2020_asset_groups\animation_package\scenes\facilities

"career_hub.erp"
STEAM\steamapps\common\F1 2020\2020_asset_groups\animation_package\scenes\careerhub\race_day_r_n_d_area

"garagecrew.erp"
STEAM\steamapps\common\F1 2020\2020_asset_groups\animation_package\scenes\garagecrew\2020

PITCREW

"pitstop.erp"
STEAM\steamapps\common\F1 2020\2020_asset_groups\animation_package\scenes\pitstops\2020

These are the one I know.

Okay, having further issues.

I've made some more tweaks to my skin but when I import it, it looks good in the 'Home screen > customization' section but:

1) All other skins are pixelated
2) In MyTeam, my skin is just a pixelated copy of the 70Edition skin not my custom one
3) In MyTeam, all other skins including my current 2020 skin (not custom - using in-game skin options) are pixelated
4) My skins number (87) is pixelated

Here is some screenshots showing what I mean:

View attachment 393045

View attachment 393046

hey man, you also need to replace the texture on all the myteam[engine] erp as they are using the same mipmaps. The reason why its blurred is the game is using the texture inside the erps that is not change and they are the low quality one.
5.png

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 50 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 32 5.8%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.4%