F1 2020 Modding Questions Thread

Does anyone have some tips on how to make sure textures on the car livery are not grainy or any how pixelated? I tried to find the biggest logo PNGs I could on Google and import them in but once placed and resized, they started to get choppy.

Does anyone have some tips on how to make sure textures on the car livery are not grainy or any how pixelated? I tried to find the biggest logo PNGs I could on Google and import them in but once placed and resized, they started to get choppy.
just make the texture larger, scale it from 4096x4096 to 8192x8192 and that'll help (though can lead to performance issues if your PC isn't great

There are websites that post a lot of vector logos that you can open in Illustrator, then copy+paste into photoshop. Paste as a Smart Object, and it will be resizeable like a PNG but will maintain the vector quality. You have to rasterize it though if you want to warp it conform to a curve in the template.

I use https://seeklogo.com/ for most of my logos. Occasionally I have to draw one myself. I found this website and downloaded a ton of them when making liveries for Project Cars 2.

If you haven't used it, get familiar with the Pen Tool in photoshop so you can make and manipulate logos. When I have to modify one to fit a curve (typically sidepod geometry), I rasterize the smart object, 'warp' it to fit how I want, then trace it with the pen tool in photoshop to get the sharp outline. This is what I did to get the 'Philips' logo on the sides for this livery (Project Cars 2):
williams_fw32.png

just make the texture larger, scale it from 4096x4096 to 8192x8192 and that'll help (though can lead to performance issues if your PC isn't great

You mean make it larger before importing on to the Texture model itself? Won't I then have to make it like 200x200 to fit some small fit or something on the model? Sorry, not sure I'm following. Apologies.

There are websites that post a lot of vector logos that you can open in Illustrator, then copy+paste into photoshop. Paste as a Smart Object, and it will be resizeable like a PNG but will maintain the vector quality. You have to rasterize it though if you want to warp it conform to a curve in the template.

I use https://seeklogo.com/ for most of my logos. Occasionally I have to draw one myself. I found this website and downloaded a ton of them when making liveries for Project Cars 2.

If you haven't used it, get familiar with the Pen Tool in photoshop so you can make and manipulate logos. When I have to modify one to fit a curve (typically sidepod geometry), I rasterize the smart object, 'warp' it to fit how I want, then trace it with the pen tool in photoshop to get the sharp outline. This is what I did to get the 'Philips' logo on the sides for this livery (Project Cars 2):
View attachment 393824

Ahh okay, maybe my issue is that I wasn't using illustrator so it was losing the quality due to that. And yes, I did have to use Warp on some of the suit stuff (the collar, etc.).

Thanks again!

You mean make it larger before importing on to the Texture model itself? Won't I then have to make it like 200x200 to fit some small fit or something on the model? Sorry, not sure I'm following. Apologies.

Ahh okay, maybe my issue is that I wasn't using illustrator so it was losing the quality due to that. And yes, I did have to use Warp on some of the suit stuff (the collar, etc.).

Thanks again!
make the paint file itself larger, that's what will help. You can't really improve things even with SVGs much if it has to be rasterized anyways and used in a small pixel size spot anyways.

My livery is in the game but how come that I cannot change the color when I pick it in the livery selection screen. As you can see in the screenshot provided, (Yes I am Dutch that's why the game is in Dutch even though I live in Canada)

I'm still using the specular map of the racenet livery could that be why the color is so blah?
Any help is very much appreciated.

02.jpg

My livery is in the game but how come that I cannot change the color when I pick it in the livery selection screen. As you can see in the screenshot provided, (Yes I am Dutch that's why the game is in Dutch even though I live in Canada)

I'm still using the specular map of the racenet livery could that be why the color is so blah?

View attachment 393869
looks like the paint file isn't saved in sRGB (iirc it's DTX5 sRGB/BC3 sRGB)

View attachment 393869
It's only because you changed the Racenet livery. That one doesn't allow color customizations. Similarly, the Cosmos livery, and the Schumacher liveries don't either.

Is there a PSD file for the FOM Car kicking around? I've tried searching for it but had no luck. I want to have a punt at doing a myteam livery.

Is there a PSD file for the FOM Car kicking around? I've tried searching for it but had no luck. I want to have a punt at doing a myteam livery.

Use my 3D model instead as it has the complete paint area [ driver headrest ] and numbers. It will also be updated in the future.

Anyone know what Codemaster doing with the Myteam car coloring code this year, i want to extract this paint scheme but what i found is an incomplete paints file without the blue line
F1 2020 (DirectX 12) 31_7_2020 1_58_28 PM.png

Attachments

• livery_uncommon_03_m.tif.png
    livery_uncommon_03_m.tif.png
    409.7 KB · Views: 101
  • livery_uncommon_03_s.tif.png
    livery_uncommon_03_s.tif.png
    172.4 KB · Views: 76
Anyone know what Codemaster doing with the Myteam car coloring code this year, i want to extract this paint scheme but what i found is an incomplete paints file without the blue line
When you open the _M file, make sure you open it WITH the alpha channel. The message is something like "Load Transparency as Alpha Channel". Check that box and you can see the full image. It uses the 4 channels for the 4 colors.
Primary Color: Red Channel
Secondary Color: Green Channel
Tertiary Color: Blue Channel
Quaternary Color: Alpha Channel

Any part of the masking map you DON'T want to have affected by color choice needs to be black. Black on the masking map translates to being transparent in game, allowing the diffuse map to show (or maybe white if no diffuse).

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 28 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.3%