F1 22 Modding Questions Thread

Is it possible to export the stock livery designs to alter and use as a base for a custom livery? I've look through common_fom.erp and common.erp and I only see like 1 or 2 of them, but not all of them.

Specifically, "Smooth" but I'd also like to export "Streaks" and "Stinger".

Last edited:
any1 else having problems with manually installing helmet mods? when i do it the same way as f1 21, there is only 1 helmet texture file and when i import that one out the helmet still doesnt work i have the newest version of ego erp archiver aswell

Hey i wanna change few textures on mercedes.erp file but when i do this manually with ego erp the game crashes. How can i make copy paste version of this mod or is there any other solution?

Hey i wanna change few textures on mercedes.erp file but when i do this manually with ego erp the game crashes. How can i make copy paste version of this mod or is there any other solution?
The same thing happens to me, I tried to edit the car data file (alpine) so that the car is not damaged (in f1 2020 and 21 it worked perfectly), but in f1 2022 the game crashes when going out on the track, it doesn't matter with alpine (modified equipment) or with any other that is not modified

Is it possible to export the stock livery designs to alter and use as a base for a custom livery? I've look through common_fom.erp and common.erp and I only see like 1 or 2 of them, but not all of them.

Specifically, "Smooth" but I'd also like to export "Streaks" and "Stinger".
You can export and modify any livery in the game. You just have to know where to find them, but they are all available. Any livery that has modifiable colors will not have a diffuse map, and thus will have to be recreated from the mask and specular maps.

You can export and modify any livery in the game. You just have to know where to find them, but they are all available. Any livery that has modifiable colors will not have a diffuse map, and thus will have to be recreated from the mask and specular maps.
Yep. Someone on discord helped me out. I was looking for _d files as those traditionally were what we edited, but I guess it could also be _m. I ended up finding the Smooth livery I wanted - it is livery_uncommon_05_m.

I'm in business now!

Hello everyone. I would like to ask what software are u guys using for creating mods? Are photoshop, gimp or similar ok or do I need something else? Are there any tutorials out there to see how to modify files that are newcomer friendly?

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I would like to ask what software are u guys using for creating mods? Is photoshop ok or do I need something else? Are there any tutorials out there to see how to modify files that are newcomer friendly?
Photoshop is the most popular and user friendly software for creating mods but, IMHO, it's far from the best. There are numerous tutorials on YouTube showing how to mod. The majority of them use Photoshop, and a few showing a more advanced and, IMHO, a vastly superior method using Mudbox.

Photoshop is the most popular and user friendly software for creating mods but, IMHO, it's far from the best. There are numerous tutorials on YouTube showing how to mod. The majority of them use Photoshop, and a few showing a more advanced and, IMHO, a vastly superior method using Mudbox.
Never heard of Mudbox but interesting...looks like Blender?

To the person who asked the question, for me Photoshop is easier than Blender/Mudbox although the models are better in those. But actually working with shapes and logos and such is much easier in PS for me. I made some MSFS 2020 liveries in Blender and it was a challenge, especially when you have a cylindrical shape.

I am having problems with editing the xml file from teams (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\F1 22\2022_asset_groups\f1_2022_vehicle_package\teams\myteam_ferrari\wep\myteam_ferrari.erp, for example). I just updated to the latest EGO version, 9.0.0, and now it says this:
Could not create preview!

Premature end of stream
When I try to export it, it gives practically the same error:
Could not export xml file!
Premature end of stream
On a younger version, Ego 8.0.1, you can see the preview and you can export. However, when playing the game (after having changed just 1 variable, for example), it crashes when the race loads.

Does anyone know how this happens? Can this bug be passed on to the maker? The Discord link is exported, unfortunately.

I hope someone out there knows something!

Edit: It exports other files just fine. The .xml file is empty.
Edit 2: I can export and import fine now on the latest version. I assume the older version kept messing with the newest version. However, the game still crashes after a change.
Never mind, I finally fixed it! No use in telling how, won't happen to anyone else.

Last edited:
How do I mod my team livery? Ive got ego and photoshop downloaded but when I open form_car.erp there is no textures in there
Do you have the latest version of Ego ERP Archiver (9.0.0)? And have you ever had Ego on your system before? Because then it automatically opens with the older version. Remove the older version if that is the case. If you are still having problems, send a screenshot

Last edited:
hi am having trouble with modding have gone to the normal game directory on ego erp have gone into myteam car folders and have no textures in the file to modify and have no idea why ive never have this issue before anyone got any ideas ?

Attachments

• screen 0 textures.PNG
    screen 0 textures.PNG
    32.3 KB · Views: 116
Never heard of Mudbox but interesting...looks like Blender?

To the person who asked the question, for me Photoshop is easier than Blender/Mudbox although the models are better in those. But actually working with shapes and logos and such is much easier in PS for me. I made some MSFS 2020 liveries in Blender and it was a challenge, especially when you have a cylindrical shape.
Mudbox is a 3D sculpting and texturing program. Blender is a 3D modeling and animation program. Blender has advanced shading, while Mudbox has advanced texturing capabilities.

Do you have the latest version of Ego ERP Archiver (9.0.0)? And have you ever had Ego on your system before? Because then it automatically opens with the older version. Remove the older version if that is the case. If you are still having problems, send a screenshot

Thanks mate. Found it in the end in common_fom.erp. Problem I am having now is photoshop is painfully slow on my rig. Its a fairly decent rig so unsure why it would be this slow. i7 12700k, rx6800xt, 32 gb ram

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 282 36.0%
  • Porsche

Votes: 300 38.3%
  • BMW

Votes: 283 36.1%
  • McLaren

Votes: 182 23.2%
  • Toyota

Votes: 289 36.9%
  • Intel

Votes: 98 12.5%