Honda NSX

Cars Honda NSX 3.6.5

Login or Register an account to download this content
It's the 97' E-NA2, not the late 01' model facelift ^

Btw, on the NSX-R models I believe there is a small mistake on the alpha of the nsx_body.DDS inside the 92 and 94 R kn5s, the inner logo area wasn't left in white to avoid blending with carpaint, so atm it behaves like non-R cars do (also, ty for now making this possible). For this reason, the original red can vanish on some skins like black or green pearl, or look a bit darker than intended.
nsx_r_alpha.jpgemb_unch.jpgemb_chng.jpg
(last image w/ modified nsx_body.DDS alpha)

Not important, as the car uses csp refracting lights so ingame it's not noticeable. It interferes a tiny bit when creating previews via custom showroom (bumper lights will look darker on some cars), but it can become important for later lod B work:
- On the S-Type Zero, NSX-R 92+94, all Acura NSX's, the bumper light reflectors become see-through, so you can see stuff behind them at some angles. Exceptions are base Honda NSX NA1 and its NA2 S1. Can also be seen ingame without refracting lights enabled, but of course that's not an expected usage scenario.
Screenshot_some1_honda_nsx_1991_endlessfloor_15-2-121-20-53-20.jpgScreenshot_some1_honda_nsx_type_s_zero_1997_endlessfloor_15-2-121-20-55-35.jpg
base honda nsx ok, zero with transparent reflectors
(refractions temporarily disabled, it was easier to show this way than inside custom showroom)
It seems to be caused the alpha differences on nsx_lights_nm.DDS, with the affected cars missing the white masking rectangle on the nm.
nm1.jpgnm2.jpg
1)base honda nsx 2) zero+similarly affected

OTH, strangely the file on the base honda nsx (+s1) is missing the nm rgb details on this section which all the others have, so its reflector looks flat (grey car). As a good thing, it avoids the nm stretching on the lower surface:
reflector_no_nm.jpgreflector_w_nm.jpg
(the brighness difference it's only because of the transparent reflector on the zero)

PS: As always, stuff as the above is intended more as reporting for final touches than pointing any real issues of concern for user experience. Thanks for this fantastic mod and overhaul. :thumbsup:

@Some1 Sorry for the tag, it's just in case you missed the update to this post. By the time you posted bellow me, it only contained the first comment for Leonardo. :)

Last edited:
I love the new cockpit modelling! Seeing it for the first time in game made me realize how outdated the old cockpit actually was. The new physics are wonderful as well, the car handles like a dream.

Honestly though, the sound is horrible (in my opinion). It's very quiet and it sounds like I have a bucket on my head in the cockpit view. Also, there are faint ticking sounds in the background which sound like twigs snapping during acceleration and decceleration. The sound from the early releases (with the soundbank ID bug) was perfect, a crisp and bassy V6 sound. That's the only thing left that needs work.

Last edited:
I love the new cockpit modelling! Seeing it for the first time in game made me realize how outdated the old cockpit actually was. The new physics are wonderful as well, the car handles like a dream.

Honestly though, the sound is horrible (in my opinion). It's very quiet and it sounds like I have a bucket on my head in the cockpit view. Also, there are faint ticking sounds in the background which sound like twigs snapping during acceleration and decceleration. The sound from the early releases (with the soundbank ID bug) was perfect, a crisp and bassy V6 sound. That's the only thing left that needs work.

The sound is meant to be the way it is and its not quiet everything was carefully balanced
Horrible is a really nice apreciation :thumbsup: thank you

As you can see the real sound in the video is fake and was recorded by a bucket too (at the time there was no microphones)

Last edited:
The sound is meant to be the way it is and its not quiet everything was carefully balanced
Horrible is a really nice apreciation :thumbsup: thank you

My apologies if I came off as a dick, that wasn't my intention. I'm just a bit bummed because in my opinion, the engine note is just... off. I don't feel like I'm in the car while I'm driving it, it's as if the engine note is transmitted to me through a telephone speaker. Maybe it's just a matter of taste really, but I much prefer the more immersive old soundbank.

As you can see the real sound in the video is fake and was recorded by a bucket too (at the time there was no microphones)

GIS3 was recorded in 2003 though. I highly doubt the keys rattling against the dashboard plastic are louder than the actual engine note at 5k+ RPM. Also, using sound recorded on a camera as a reference isn't the right way to balance sounds. What the camera hears != what the human ear hears. Kicking a piece of wood and firing a gun sound similarly loud on a camera recording.

Last edited:
"Horrible sound" was my first thought as well, no point in sugarcoating it. Huzzah for RD's history section and CM's replace sound function!

Everything else is great.

I have to agree on the sound as well.
A lot of unwanted background noise and unrealistic tone as well.

Also on the physics side I'm not so convinced by the new tires implementation with temperatures that mimic surface behavior having much faster rise but probably too slow cool down.

I'm sure there is a lot of research behind it, but the final result is a bit artificial (only tested the baseline Honda) and unresponsive.

Got to also agree on sound not being right, was that the video used as a basis for the sound? Just having a listen to this one below it is vastly different 5:42> . Still far from ideal using a video recording as a reference (especially as these ones are so old)

Last edited:
Ok in the next update i will return the sound the low frequencys you all miss and work on the stereo in the cockpit

Just want to make clear that to me its great as it is

Last edited:
the NSX R sounds great (which is the one I use the most since the NSX is too soft suspension wise)
what I found is that the dashboard lights in general are too weak compared to other cars
this is with hazards and high beam indicator ON!
Screenshot_some1_honda_nsx_r_1994_miseluk_15-2-121-19-29-18.jpg

compared to Jason's Subaru
1613428337098.jpeg

But no big deal I guess.

The headlight part model is the same between the 1991 E-NA1 and 1997 E-NA2 S-Zero. Type S only received HID headlights, only in Japan, only for that spec. The headlights are the same.

@Avo77
The cooldown is actually likely a bit too fast when at static. There is a possibility the velocity dependent air-cooling is a tad too weak, but the surface interactions seem to be perhaps a tad too strong in fact. It's not more than 10% off if telemetry and thermal sensor footage are to be believed.

It's difficult to say because there's like +-30% spreads at the very least depending on the construction of the tire. All of the research data is junk as well so you can only really rely on experimental data. I got my data from lightweight sport tires which cool fast and heat fast, thicker road tires would cool down even slower.

If you read my readme then you'd have a better idea of why the cooling can slow down at temp. As for the surfaces rising, tires can get up to 450 - 500c when drifting with high power cars and the gas will ignite. Mid-corner just driving grip and not slipping the tire, it will reach 90 - 100c surface easily. That's not incorrect.

I don't entirely know where you made your opinion about the thermals, do you perhaps have some data you want to share, or an experience? I will likely fine-tune the values later.

About the sound, it's quite difficult to say what is correct and not. I urged Modek to remember that the recording is not like the human hearing, and he knows that. Perhaps some NSX owner can chip in, but I would not be surprised if the sound in reality sounds similar due to most of the sound being transmitted via vibrations of the ear structure.

It's a difficult thing, really. Perhaps it needs more low frequency so give that impression of inner ear vibrations. If it is too filtered, perhaps you can blame me, because I requested some highpass earlier to eliminate some unwanted frequencies from the cabin noise.

EDIT: Also I really need to disagree on "unrealistic tone". The mid-frequency sound is the one thing which is definitely not wrong IMO. :p

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't know about the headlight styling being just for the 2002 year model. I thought all the na2 where without the pop-up lights. My bad.
There was a chassis change in 1995, and a power unit change in 1997. The styling facelift is 2002+.

Most of the old popup cars are under the E-NA2 designation, with LA-NA2 getting the new emissions code after 2000, but I think you can actually find LA-NA2 with popups as well after 2000.

the NSX R sounds great (which is the one I use the most since the NSX is too soft suspension wise)
what I found is that the dashboard lights in general are too weak compared to other cars
this is with hazards and high beam indicator ON!
View attachment 445807

compared to Jason's Subaru
View attachment 445808

But no big deal I guess.
What's your CSP settings? It looks like something's turned off too much in the settings? The indicators should be more visible.
Also, for me the Subaru looks unrealistic, because in real life you don't notice much the dials lights in broad daylight.

Yeah, I definitely didn't spent days taking A/B comparisons and agonizing over tiny details of the interior light when I set up the Subaru.

Last edited:
About the sound, it's quite difficult to say what is correct and not. I urged Modek to remember that the recording is not like the human hearing, and he knows that. Perhaps some NSX owner can chip in, but I would not be surprised if the sound in reality sounds similar due to most of the sound being transmitted via vibrations of the ear structure.

That's just it -- none of us have really driven the real car, and can only guess based on videos, how the interior sounds. This is a road car, it should have more noise insulation than a racing car.
What most games get wrong on road cars in my opinion, is that the cockpit always sound exactly the same as the exterior. As if the engine is right there in the passenger seat. Even when cruising you can loudly hear the engine. Not so much in real life, where the engine noise is masked by tire noise and generally good noise insulation. etc etc.

Do we want realism or do we want what we want? :)

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 480 69.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 291 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 317 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 144 21.0%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 187 27.2%
Back