I got my FPS back!

Short story: ACC used to run crappy on my senior PC, now it doesn't. I'm not gonna explain a thing because it's all well written here in plain english: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference/index.html

You need to see hidden folders for this path:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

Copy and paste this in the very bottom, thanks for the beer.

[ConsoleVariables] r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1 r.DistanceFieldAO=0 r.HZBOcclusion=0 r.LensFlareQuality=0 r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0 r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0 r.SSR=0 r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24 r.DetailMode=0 r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=1 r.AllowLandscapeShadows=0 r.DistanceFieldShadowing=0

1 lap at MISANO, SUNSET
COMPARISON.png

Cattura.PNG

DEFAULT: Avg: 56.9 - Min: 43 - Max: 70
MODDED: Avg: 62.3 - Min: 46 - Max: 78

FPS Diff.: Avg: +5.4 - Min: +3 - Max: +8

Thanks @2stains for the AO suggestion.

Last edited:
How much Anisotropic filtering are most of you guys using?
I generally only use 2x in any game.
I typically use 4x anti-aliasing.
Those two settings then allow me to run every graphics setting to epic, while maintaining good 'fluid' framerate.
2x AF? Ouch... That must look blurry as heck in the distance.
The only game I know where AF has any real fps impact is AC.
ACC shouldn't have the same problem but I'm gonna test it.. Normally the difference is about 1-2% fps between 2x AF and 16x AF.

4x AA isn't much information nowadays sadly. I guess you mean 4x msaa. ACC only got different modes and the setting for how accurate the algorithm should be.
But I agree, for msaa or txaa I always used 4x. And if I could, 2x ssaa (or sgssaa via inspector) on top.
Always preferred a clean and smooth image over fanciness!

BTW while higher af settings increase the clarity a lot in the distance, it doesn't cause more aliasing.
I thought that maybe the loss of clarity in the distance might help against pixel crawling and flickering of thin/fine details but it doesn't.
You'll get the same aliasing issues but won't see the details that are causing it, lol...

2x AF? Ouch... That must look blurry as heck in the distance.
The only game I know where AF has any real fps impact is AC.
ACC shouldn't have the same problem but I'm gonna test it.. Normally the difference is about 1-2% fps between 2x AF and 16x AF.

4x AA isn't much information nowadays sadly. I guess you mean 4x msaa. ACC only got different modes and the setting for how accurate the algorithm should be.
But I agree, for msaa or txaa I always used 4x. And if I could, 2x ssaa (or sgssaa via inspector) on top.
Always preferred a clean and smooth image over fanciness!

BTW while higher af settings increase the clarity a lot in the distance, it doesn't cause more aliasing.
I thought that maybe the loss of clarity in the distance might help against pixel crawling and flickering of thin/fine details but it doesn't.
You'll get the same aliasing issues but won't see the details that are causing it, lol...
https://www.youtube.com/user/Saabjock/videos?view_as=subscriber
Does it?

To be fair the youtube compression makes any judging impossible. But I took a few Screenshots and also gonna post the examples from the Content Manager settings.

Btw, on screenshots it looks very much "okay" even without any AF. But when moving, I always notice the "muddy-border" I push forward in front of me...

Your Youtube Video:
Youtube_AC.jpg

2x AF, ran the test at 1920x1080, afterburner jpeg shot.
Look at the tarmac at the bottom left:
acs_2020_06_28_23_37_55_051.jpg

16x AF, again, tarmac at the bottom left and also compare the GPU load of... exactly the same %:
acs_2020_06_28_23_38_54_193.jpg

And from CM:
no AF, 8x AF, 16x AF. What's what is on the image:
Look at the tarmac details, again.
CM_0xAF.jpg

CM_8xAF.jpg

CM_16xAF.jpg

Last edited:
A general "rule of thumb" for CPU intensive settings is whether or not they use "actual geometry".
So as 2stains wrote:
- shadows: they are true calculated shadows of objects so definitely use the cpu
- visible cars: obviously geometric
- mirrors: also definitely geometric
- reflections (only a separate setting in AC): also based on true geometrics

In AC there is the "world detail" settings, which is also CPU intensive.

In ACC it's a bit more complicated sadly...

What's NOT cpu intensive:
- resolution
- Anti Aliasing
- post processing (mostly)
- sharpening
- fog
- bloom
- motion blur

This leaves these to test:
- mirror distance
- material quality
- mirror resolution (shouldn't make a difference. Either the draw calls are there or not. So on/off and the distance should be CPU intensive, the resolution should NOT be
- foliage LOD (distance/quality)
- LOD in general
- view distance
- effects

To test these:
- deactivate vsync
- activate an fps counter
- make sure your gpu load isn't above 90%

- see what settings give an fps boost
hi, can i ask you what are voices for less gpu overload? im at 99% and i don't know what i ahve to modify, ty (i have a gtx 970)

hi, can i ask you what are voices for less gpu overload? im at 99% and i don't know what i ahve to modify, ty (i have a gtx 970)
Hi,
this is a bit difficult as I didn't really measure it.
What resolution and monitor size are you running?

Overall it's pretty easy to find out what does what as you can just go into a quick race, start the formation lap and then hit esc and go into the menu. Most settings (apart from one of the mirror settings) is available to change on the fly.

Cool thing is that the menu is also running inside the UE4 engine so you actually see the change in GPU load while you're still in the graphics menu!

With CPU this isn't really possible because the load drops as soon as you pause the race and go into the menu.

Anyway I now upgraded my CPU to a 10600k and my GTX 1070 is now the limit.
I'm at 34" (27" height, just wider), 3440x1440 and trying to run constant 90 fps.
Here's my config/profile.

For me that was the best mix between quality and fps. However I can only run the 70% resolution scale because I'm at 1440p. At 27" 1080p it would look very ugly.
Temporal Upsampling helps a lot though! While the start looks a bit ugly with lowered resolution, during the race it looks very well.

Throw the file into:
C:\Users\%YourUsername%\Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\Customs\VideoSettings

Then you should be able to load my preset in the game.
I pretty much maxed out the foliage settings. They barely made a difference on my graphics card but I can't stand bland tracks or popping in grass.

Attachments

• PerfectMix_3.json
    959 bytes · Views: 162
Hi,
this is a bit difficult as I didn't really measure it.
What resolution and monitor size are you running?

Overall it's pretty easy to find out what does what as you can just go into a quick race, start the formation lap and then hit esc and go into the menu. Most settings (apart from one of the mirror settings) is available to change on the fly.

Cool thing is that the menu is also running inside the UE4 engine so you actually see the change in GPU load while you're still in the graphics menu!

With CPU this isn't really possible because the load drops as soon as you pause the race and go into the menu.

Anyway I now upgraded my CPU to a 10600k and my GTX 1070 is now the limit.
I'm at 34" (27" height, just wider), 3440x1440 and trying to run constant 90 fps.
Here's my config/profile.

For me that was the best mix between quality and fps. However I can only run the 70% resolution scale because I'm at 1440p. At 27" 1080p it would look very ugly.
Temporal Upsampling helps a lot though! While the start looks a bit ugly with lowered resolution, during the race it looks very well.

Throw the file into:
C:\Users\%YourUsername%\Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\Customs\VideoSettings

Then you should be able to load my preset in the game.
I pretty much maxed out the foliage settings. They barely made a difference on my graphics card but I can't stand bland tracks or popping in grass.
actually a 40" tv led (i know it's really bad, but i will change soon) and 1920x1080 resolution with giovanniveterano's .ini file, cpu havent's problems, i want to ask you: your file .ini what improve compared to giovanniveterano's file?

Attachments

• 20191221164018_1.jpg
    20191221164018_1.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 20191221164025_1.jpg
    20191221164025_1.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 20191221164036_1.jpg
    20191221164036_1.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 20191221164042_1.jpg
    20191221164042_1.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 131
actually a 40" tv led (i know it's really bad, but i will change soon) and 1920x1080 resolution with giovanniveterano's .ini file, cpu havent's problems, i want to ask you: your file .ini what improve compared to giovanniveterano's file?
Little misunderstanding here:
giovanniveterano's ini file contains stuff that isn't available from the game's menu. It directly changes parameters in the unreal engine.
That file is located here:

I don't use such a file, as I think Kunos did quite a good job. There are definitely benefits if you have a weaker CPU like for example deactivating screen space reflections with this line:
r.SSR.Quality=0

However my json file is just my graphic settings preset for the game settings. I could also post 4 screenshots or list them in their number-values but I thought it would be easier for both of us if you'd just save your current settings via "manage custom video presets" and then load my config from the same sub-menu.
My json file is located here:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\Customs\VideoSettings

But if you want my settings in screenshots, I can send them later :)

Little misunderstanding here:
giovanniveterano's ini file contains stuff that isn't available from the game's menu. It directly changes parameters in the unreal engine.
That file is located here:

I don't use such a file, as I think Kunos did quite a good job. There are definitely benefits if you have a weaker CPU like for example deactivating screen space reflections with this line:
r.SSR.Quality=0

However my json file is just my graphic settings preset for the game settings. I could also post 4 screenshots or list them in their number-values but I thought it would be easier for both of us if you'd just save your current settings via "manage custom video presets" and then load my config from the same sub-menu.
My json file is located here:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\Customs\VideoSettings

But if you want my settings in screenshots, I can send them later :)
yes, you are right, my fault, anyway it's apprecieted if send me later, thanks for all

Here is my config in the game :)
Don't wonder about the resolution, I only changed it to make the Screenshots smaller!

AC2-Win64-Shipping_2020_06_30_22_23_03_603.jpg

AC2-Win64-Shipping_2020_06_30_22_23_13_391.jpg

AC2-Win64-Shipping_2020_06_30_22_23_22_179.jpg

And the HDR lines are greyed out for me, so I cut them off to only have 3 Screenshots :p

Did you activate the new scheduling?
If so, try again without it (needs a restart!).

Apart from that: if you now notice stuttering, simply install the old driver again. Or do you need it for some super new game?

View attachment 385064

Thanks for the suggestion! Will try it now...

Regarding the driver, no, I don't actually need it. It is just set to automatically update...

I will try the scheduling and if I can't see any improvements, I will revert to the previous driver.

Really appreciate the help!
-Douglas

Thanks for the suggestion! Will try it now...

Regarding the driver, no, I don't actually need it. It is just set to automatically update...

I will try the scheduling and if I can't see any improvements, I will revert to the previous driver.

Really appreciate the help!
-Douglas
I'd recommend to disable automatic updates for drivers.
If they work, they will continue to work.
There's only need for a new driver if there's a feature you want (like the scheduling for example) or if the game you're playing isn't working well and a driver update might fix that.

But improved gaming performance very rarely happens with Nvidia cards. And mostly only for the big games anyway.

ACC was mentioned in a new driver in 2018 or 2019. Since then there's nothing to update for :)

I'd recommend to disable automatic updates for drivers.
If they work, they will continue to work.
There's only need for a new driver if there's a feature you want (like the scheduling for example) or if the game you're playing isn't working well and a driver update might fix that.

But improved gaming performance very rarely happens with Nvidia cards. And mostly only for the big games anyway.

ACC was mentioned in a new driver in 2018 or 2019. Since then there's nothing to update for :)

Ok, to get my FPS back, I had to downgrade the driver...
I am back to 445 now without stutters (100% Resolution scale and 180% pixel density).

Also, removed the automatic updates...

If anyone else is losing performance with the latest drivers, please let me know..

Thanks RasmusP for the support!

Ok, to get my FPS back, I had to downgrade the driver...
I am back to 445 now without stutters (100% Resolution scale and 180% pixel density).

Also, removed the automatic updates...

If anyone else is losing performance with the latest drivers, please let me know..

Thanks RasmusP for the support!

Yes, I can confirm that the new nvidia drivers run like crap in ACC or with unreal engine in general. Stutters, hitches, etc. I have also gone back to 445.87 and regained performance. Having said that, I have watched ACC performance gradually degrade since a certain driver version (cant recall which), but the new drivers are definite trash.

• Deleted member 197115

451.48 here, no issues.
But I had to switch monitor to Fixed refresh rate or VR wouldn't work right at 90Hz.
And yes, Hardware Accelerated GPU scheduling is an evil. Not sure how they could release something broken like that. Both AC and ACC run like crap with it on.

Anyone here has a problem in ACC. I have R5 2600 16gb RAM and 1070ti. On Epic and High settings i get the same fps. Around 60-65 on 25AIs. My CPU usage is on 30-45% and my GPU only maxed out at 60% usage. My vsync is off and i dont have any fps limit on my settings.

Anyone here has a problem in ACC. I have R5 2600 16gb RAM and 1070ti. On Epic and High settings i get the same fps. Around 60-65 on 25AIs. My CPU usage is on 30-45% and my GPU only maxed out at 60% usage. My vsync is off and i dont have any fps limit on my settings.
To be honest, yes quite a lot of people struggle with FPS in ACC.
Your CPU may seem lightly loaded but in reality you will have a lot of execution units twiddling their thumbs and a few that are absolutely maxed out. The single-thread performance of your CPU is (in my view) your bottleneck. You may be able to tinker with the clock settings to let it boost higher on (say) 2 or 3 of the 6 cores?
(My 7700K has much lower performance than yours on multi-threaded code, but probably around 20% more on single-threaded code.)

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 45 11.8%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 40 10.5%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 46 12.0%
  • Thursday

Votes: 44 11.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 131 34.3%
  • Saturday

Votes: 226 59.2%