I've had enough for now...

Well, I've given it several hours of my time now and I've decided to give up on AMS2 for the time being. Why? A number of reasons:

FFB with my T300 - At best, I'd say it was OK but nothing special. I've followed plenty of setup guides specifically for AMS2 and tried a lot of different recommended settings but still don't think it's great. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree, but it just doesn't seem to give me enough information through the wheel. The other problem I have is the inconsistency. Some cars feel better than others and I don't want to have to change the settings on a per-car basis. If the FFB was really good, I might be convinced that the time spent adjusting and testing it for each car was worth it. However, in my opinion at the moment it isn't. Whilst not technically FFB, I'm one of those users still struggling with over-sensitive brakes, even after the recent update. I've tried carefully calibrating the pedals several times in a single session and still have to set the brake sensitivity to 30% or less and the car brake pressure in some cars to a maximum of 80%. Frustrating for close racing.

Handling - again, inconsistent. Some cars feel much better than others (it's EA, I can hear you say!). That said, all of them seem to have moments of unpredictability. Sometimes they understeer, sometimes they oversteer (same track, same car setup, same conditions, sometimes even on the same lap). At times, even applying throttle really gently coming out of a corner makes the rear break away. Some cars feel as though they're gently fishtailing down the straights where others feel much more stable.

Visuals - Try as I might, I just don't seem to be able to get rid of the constant, annoying bouncing/camera shake. I've tried adjusting the world view (max and min) and reduced the g-forces to zero but it's still there. It may be trying to give more of an impression of speed but real tracks are just not that bumpy everywhere.

AI - Clearly still a work-in-progress. Some conditions which affect the player's car (standing water on the track, for example) seem to have little effect on the AI. Also, on several occasions I've rounded a corner to find a mass pileup of AI blocking the road. I’ve noticed a number of instances of the AI taking odd lines into a corner after I’ve passed them comfortably and taking me out in the process, almost as if they weren’t aware that I was there (this may somehow also be related to the previously mentioned pileups). There also seem to be extra large collision boxes around some cars which cause crashes without any apparent contact (confirmed by replays) and almost all contact, no matter how gentle, seems to often result in exaggerated effects on each car.

I've seen plenty of instances of warnings for putting just 2 wheels off track (confirmed by replay) - all wheels I could understand. If you do go completely off track, the grass is like very bumpy ice! And why should an off early in the final sector cancel your time for the next lap?

I know it’s in EA and I know (hope?) that many of my personal gripes will eventually be resolved. However, I like sim racing because it’s fun and at the moment I seem to be spending more time trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to get things working how I want them at the expense of actually racing. I may have been lucky with ACC, but I found that I was up and running quite quickly, even in EA, and the default car setups are actually quite good and need minimal tweaking for some enjoyable racing - I’m not an alien so getting the last fraction of a second out of each car isn’t a priority for me. It may be that AMS2 just doesn’t suit my style of driving and I’ll certainly revisit it after the full release version hits the streets but I just have a nagging doubt that it will always need extensive tweaking to get the best out of it and, for me at least, life’s too short for that. There’s a lot of potential in AMS2 but I’m not enjoying it enough at the moment to persist with it.

This is quite an informative post of issues. Have you shared them with the Devs for AMS2?
Could be that others are experiencing similar issues and have raised them, but if not maybe you should raise this to them in order to assist with EA issues resolution.

I bought the title the other day when it released on EA but so far I've only had time to set up graphics and my triples. Still haven't had an actual drive of it yet, but when I do I'll try and see if my experiences are similar to yours.

This is quite an informative post of issues. Have you shared them with the Devs for AMS2?

They've all appeared at various times since the start of EA in the open forums on the Reiza site. They may well be working on some of them and some may be just down me. One problem with the official site is that only the early backers get access to the beta forum so it's not possible to know about what's already been reported or what's being fixed. There's a bug reporting thread on the open part of the site but it doesn't seem to get any dev feedback.

There's a bug reporting thread on the open part of the site but it doesn't seem to get any dev feedback.

That doesn't mean they don't read it, after all they created the thread so they'd be stupid to then ignore it ;) More than likely they log the bugs in their system then get busy with reproducing/fixing/whatever, so if they're not responding directly in the thread don't take it personally.

Maxing world movement should get rid of the camera jolting around, works for me and every channel on youtube. I do think the brakes need work, maybe they aren't being effected by downforce properly as I notice it more in high downforce cars where you should be able to stamp on the brake when slowing from high speed. I don't have the same complaints as you for ffb as I use a g29 and this title gives me more feeling in the center of the wheel's travel than any other sim I have tried (AC, ACC, PC2). I do think the bumpiness needs to be reduced as it doesn't always feel too realistic, although I must say that in replays it compares quite favourably to real life footage I have seen, especially with the V8 Supercars. Overall, despite these issues, I have really been enjoying this game and for me the ffb and physics allow a level of feel on the limit that I don't get much with other sims, and it also feels less like a constant struggle with understeer and more like a balancing act between over and understeer, which to me looks closer to the in car videos I have seen in which the drivers are constantly correcting oversteer before it causes an issue during qualifying when they are really pushing the car. The AI definitely needs a lot of work, both in terms of awareness of other cars, and first lap speed but I have had some very enjoyable races in the v8 supercar and the brazilian stock cars. They seem to be better on some tracks than others, I found Jerez to be fun, although they are a bit slow through the chicane. VIR has been a favourite for me too. I find the right spot for AI is both values set at 60-66, 66 being quite challenging once the cars get past the first two laps, and 60 being good for climbing from the back of the pack to the front within 20 laps of pushing pretty hard. You really need clean passes though, it is better at this point to try to pass before or after a corner as if you go side by side with them into a corner on the inside they will usually push to the apex and hit you. I am pretty sure most of these issues will be fixed to a satisfactory level by the 1.0 release. I actually had a rocky start with this sim and the first couple days was feeling disappointed but then I turned the brake pressure down to 80 for each car I use and tweaked the ffb and other settings more and have been really enjoying it ever since. I feel like I can really push the cars and make time lap after lap whereas with a lot of sims I hit a wall where I need to get lucky to beat my time once I get a clean lap. This allows me to control the car more even when it gets squirrely, which looks accurate to me. In real life drivers are constantly fighting both over and understeer and are regularly able to stop slides before they have a major impact on time. Obviously a perfectly clean lap is what you want but real drivers are able to slide a bit without losing time. It kind of feels like you are drifting first but then you watch the replay and it all looks quite natural and then when you actually try to drift it's a pretty different feeling. Just my opinion but after the first few days I have been loving this game and I can't wait for the updates to come out. I am also super excited for Mt. Panorama in the V8 Supercars.

Agree with the OP on pretty much everything, the FFB especially, did you delete the AM2 folder from My Documents ? After the last patch its best to configure everything again. Here is my current settings for the T300. Wheel rotation in control panel and in game are 1080, default in control panel but spring at 0% and damper at 0% World view or what ever it is
FFB.jpg
reversed 0% full movement 100% being static.

Last edited:
Just my 2cents about handling, as a long-time PC2 player wich just tried AMS2. In my opinion, the Madness engine is very complex and lot of works need in car setup in order to find the right feeling. When you find it, you got a great experience, otherwise the car behavior may be a bit odd. For some cars, it was very easy, just a couple of adjustments. For othersm, I spend hours to find a good feeling with some cars, expecially working on dampers and suspensions. Unfortunatly, many PC2 cars have not great stock setup, and many players are not interested in spend time on dampers :). Well, my feeling is that AMS2 has the same problem: lots of works should be done by developers to provide a couple of nice setup per car.

An interesting read and you have some good points there. I'm still enjoying the sim despite it's current flaws, but if you're not then it's absolutely right to give up on it for now. No sense wasting your time if you're not having any fun. Hopefully Reiza will get most of your issues solved over the coming weeks and months so you can jump back in and give it another try. :thumbsup:

More than likely they log the bugs in their system then get busy with reproducing/fixing/whatever, so if they're not responding directly in the thread don't take it personally.

I don’t take it personally and I’m sure they’re noting the bugs reported. But not being able to read the beta forum simply increases the number of complaints about existing issues. For instance, it was only after a leak from the beta forum saying that the brake sensitivity problem had been acknowledged by the devs (after many open forum complaints) that those of us with the issue realised we weren’t imagining it (or just “braking wrong” as many other forum members seemed to be implying).

I don't expect Reiza to reply individually to every post or to allow beta forum access to everyone. However, I do think they could help themselves by just putting a stickied list of current issues in the public forum. No need for explanations, patch ETAs or anything like that, just a list so that people know the issue has been acknowledged and will be seen to at some point.

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 267 36.8%
  • Porsche

Votes: 277 38.2%
  • BMW

Votes: 256 35.3%
  • McLaren

Votes: 169 23.3%
  • Toyota

Votes: 272 37.5%
  • Intel

Votes: 90 12.4%