Kyalami 2016

Tracks Kyalami 2016 0.9.5

Login or Register an account to download this content
Capture.PNG

This is an absolute joke... Im not even the creator and find this extremely insulting.

Totally agree.
IMO Kyalami is now in it's best configuration since 1988, when the track was changed to the anti-clockwise layout. Between 1994 and 2009 was the worst layout, when they put in the chicane to try and slow down the pit entry speeds
Agreed. And the first section was horrible for overtaking in F1 cars since it was flat-out with a short and bended braking zone right after the previous corner. The current variation allows for at least 1 proper overtaking spot in every racing discipline, so I have no idea how it's any worse.

Perhaps @Tonoppa can explain what he has an issue with exactly himself.

Its totally besides the point if this is the best layout or not.
If he doesn’t like the current layout, he shouldn’t download it (it has 2016 in the title, so no risk of being ill-informed), let alone reviewing poorly based on how he thinks the creator should spend his time.
Review the quality of the content, not how much you like the choice of content.

Can I just re-state this (as it's relevant)?

I've noticed one issue I'm getting which I get with a few other mod tracks: the painted white lines (not the kerbs) that run along the edges of the track can't have shadows cast on them. I think it's cos they're actually above the imprint of the shadow. It's noticeable when a cars in front go over one of these white lines.

And, again, thank you for this amazing work

The white lines are a separate mesh that sits on top of the road mesh.
If its too close we get z fighting, which will give you flickering on the lines at a distance in front of the car.
So shadow is a lesser of the two evils.
Bu there could be a sweet spot that allows shadows without z-fighting...
Something I can add to the wishlist.

I've noticed one issue I'm getting which I get with a few other mod tracks: the painted white lines (not the kerbs) that run along the edges of the track can't have shadows cast on them. I think it's cos they're actually above the imprint of the shadow. It's noticeable when a cars in front go over one of these white lines.

They seem to receive shadows just fine to me?

1574422069982.png

Unless you mean only the fake ambient shadows that follow cars around, in which case that shouldn't be limited to just mod tracks - kunos use the same technique for their painted lines, ie being a separate mesh.

Good job Prototype I love the track!! and the lighting setup is great. I have the same pit issue others have mentioned here and been running the RMT 120 2 with 35 DRM AI cars around in random grid Race mode. You learn the track fast that is for sure. Look forward to the update.

Did a quick install and keyboard drive. I think my only complaint from things I noticed is that the way to install the track is different to what is the common way tracks are packaged. Ac tracks typically follow a structure where the zip file either has the track folder which you drop into content\tracks\. Or the zip has the whole folder structure ready to drop into assettocorsa\ folder with all the files going to different places having the folder structure made to match to everything drops into correct folders.

This track has a different way and it doesn't have a readme file either for instructions. I'd change the packaging for 1.0. I'd adopt the common way where the zip files comes with the full folder structure which puts everything into their folders. That works with cm and works with manual install too and is clear and is the standard way to do it in ac. I don't think it is good idea to put necessary stuff behind a folder called extras inside the ac track folder. The shader stuff after all is not extra. You need that to get the track to load I think.

Grats for the first release. It is 0.8 but a lot of stuff is already great!

edit. I checked the assetto logs and there is one error:
ERROR: Mesh 1GRASS_ESSESOUTER_SUB0 CAN BE: GRASS OUT
Maybe one of your physical surfaces was exported with two materials so sdk created sub objects or you have some physics surfaces that are not set in surfaces.ini. Also physics surfaces can not contain names of other physics surfaces. The ultimate reason for the confusion is that GRASS_ESSESOUTER_SUB0 contains both GRASS and OUT so ac becomes confused which it is even if the issue comes from having multimaterial object as physical object which causes ac to create sub objects which messes up the object names.

Last edited:
They seem to receive shadows just fine to me?

View attachment 335687

Unless you mean only the fake ambient shadows that follow cars around, in which case that shouldn't be limited to just mod tracks - kunos use the same technique for their painted lines, ie being a separate mesh.
Thanks for your ideas.
This is a problem I have with this track and a few other mod tracks. Luckily, not that many are affected and none of those affected are Kunos tracks.
The only shadows I have noticed where this problem is apparent is the shadows under cars. Ihaven't noticed if other types of shadows are affected.

The white lines are a separate mesh that sits on top of the road mesh.
If its too close we get z fighting, which will give you flickering on the lines at a distance in front of the car.
So shadow is a lesser of the two evils.
Bu there could be a sweet spot that allows shadows without z-fighting...
Something I can add to the wishlist.
Thanks for the feedback. I hope you can look at it.
As I said above, this problem only concerns the two (20-cm wide approx.) white lines on both sides of the track (the white lines of the grid markings maybe too).

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 405 69.3%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 255 43.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 274 46.9%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 121 20.7%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 161 27.6%
Back