LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
how often do you backup things though ? ;)
i have caterham files from 6 months ago... i did a lot of job since, and going back to it... motivation is a bit gone!

Backup? Daily! I also sync everything daily up to cloud backup using the excellent Goodsync software. I picked up a cheap NAS (ix2) from amazon a few years ago, running Raid 1 mirroring on that. But I guess my background as a server engineer makes me extra cautious!

Cheers,
Divxmaster

how often do you backup things though ? ;)
i have caterham files from 6 months ago... i did a lot of job since, and going back to it... motivation is a bit gone!
around once a week, by hand, onto my external drive. Just had my main harddrive "die" unexpectedly like two weeks ago, was just lucky to see the SMART warning in time and clone the drive on two new ones (switched to a SSD while I was at it)... you're never save with these things ;)

I need to send your guys a few € some time, want to check those outer routes too

@Phoenix77 @Ben O'Bro
There's something odd going on with the shadowing of some of the foliage in VR. It *seems* (it's hard to tell, and even harder to describe) that when a shadow is cast on certain trees or bushes then that shadow is slightly out of focus, slightly shimmering/reflective, or slightly out of stereoscopic synch with everything else in the scene. I'm not talking about shadows cast on the surrounding terrain, it's the shadows in the foliage itself.

Any other VR users notice this? It doesn't affect every bush and every tree, just those with shadows cast across them.

Edit: I've just taken a closer look at this and the effect seems to be caused by the shadow only appearing in one lens. The shadow appears in the right eye but not in the left eye. It's easy to spot in VR - just make like Moses and get close to a shimmering bush then close and open alternate eyes and watch the shadow disappear when you're only looking through the left eye.

Last edited:
@Phoenix77 @Ben O'Bro
There's something odd going on with the self-shadowing of some of the foliage in VR. It *seems* (it's hard to tell, and even harder to describe) that when a tree or bush casts a shadow on itself then that shadow is slightly out of focus, slightly shimmering/reflective, or slightly out of stereoscopic synch with everything else in the scene. I'm not talking about shadows cast on the surrounding terrain, it's the shadows in the foliage itself.

Any other VR users notice this? It doesn't affect every bush and every tree, but maybe 10% of them.
for VR i don't know as i can't test
but we've been working (or rather, xfab has been working) on shader improvement for the tree shadow / receiving shadow on LAC specifically, so if you have his shaders, you might experience this, try without the mod if it's still here
try also to make screenshot of it :)

i was meant to illustrate his work and post that on general discussion but then, i didn't XD

for VR i don't know as i can't test
but we've been working (or rather, xfab has been working) on shader improvement for the tree shadow / receiving shadow on LAC specifically, so if you have his shaders, you might experience this, try without the mod if it's still here
try also to make screenshot of it :)

i was meant to illustrate his work and post that on general discussion but then, i didn't XD
I amended my post that you quoted, it's to do with the shadow not appearing in one eye. I'll disable the shader mod and report back.

Backup? Daily! I also sync everything daily up to cloud backup using the excellent Goodsync software. I picked up a cheap NAS (ix2) from amazon a few years ago, running Raid 1 mirroring on that. But I guess my background as a server engineer makes me extra cautious!

Cheers,
Divxmaster
Want one too :D
It's easy not to backup when it's not automated.
Used to have an external HDD and used it for backups, until you know, it corrupted :rolleyes:

Hi, what do I do with this file, and is there a performance hit?
Copy contents as are to LAC track folder. Performance hit? A larger texture consumes a little more VRAM, but the texture is 100MB so it's not as if you will suddenly run out of RAM. Large textures also often have minimal impact on performance even with AF16x though can vary between game engines.

Now having server with many many different cars as some are setting them up does consume a crap ton of VRAM. The higher or lower track texture won't save you from that.

Ben has some comparison photos.

I amended my post that you quoted, it's to do with the shadow not appearing in one eye. I'll disable the shader mod and report back.
Try vanilla AC without graphical hacks. Things like ReShade are fine, though I can't speak for VR. What x4fab does is great but a little more "invasive" into the game than ReShade.

Backup more often. Noted.
Lesson learned ^^
Now is my hard drive worth 400€ of fixing, that i shall decide XD

@Mascot the big dds meant to go in a 'texture' folder in la_canyons (not in the folder by default)

preview with/without :)
links below
upload_2018-10-1_22-16-32.png

https://acstuff.ru/u/comparison/akP

https://acstuff.ru/u/comparison/IUA

https://acstuff.ru/u/comparison/kFE

In 0.81 diffuse texture is renamed to terrain_DIFF_03.dds instead of 02, same link as before, updated name:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aqsRYUnWXXJze54upbqtKYJC_Kp05BpS

That's what the difference is, you can see details out of track area past trees. Ground around track reflects the surroundings.

This texture is temporary as we need to spend more time working on the ground texture and masking etc. but in the meantime, it looks pretty good for faraway mountains!
Use at your own risks, it's a 100mo DDS in 12.000 x 12.000 :D

Last edited:
Just a dumb question as I'm not into track modding: Isn't it somehow possible to use multiple 4K textures for the terrain instead of just one big 12K texture to get a high quality result? Might still increase the performance if it is possible.

I've gathered some more info on the 'display another cars view' problem. I reloaded my AC from scratch, including the documents\AC folder. The problem still exists - ctrl 1 + 3 on numpad only shows two cars and same in replays.
I also went on a LAC server today and another user on there confirmed he has the same problem.
Anyway, workarounds are:
Replay: click the arrows instead of keys. Except it doesn't show who's car you are viewing that way.
Live: click on the driver in the drivers list, but you have to be in the pits to do so.

Not a big deal really, I wonder if it has something to do with length of track. Who knows.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

Last edited:
What an amazing track. Tried it yesterday for the first time with a bunch of AI cars. Okay, they had some problems, but it was an absolute joy to drive on this beautiful track.
Fantastic work, Phoenix77. :thumbsup:

Here's my video from my very first lap around the track in a Porsche Boxster (and with my Oculus Rift):
PS: All the parking cars later on gave me the strange feeling like i'm in a zombie apocalypse. :confused: :D

Last edited:
Hey there. Absolutely fantastic work! Looks stunning with this new update.
I donated a coffee, did I have to add my e-mail somewhere to get the bigger map?

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 60 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.2%