Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Had my visit to the Apple Store.

The Apple guy was very helpful and stayed with me through the entire face scanning process. I told him exactly what I was doing and why and he seemed to think it was pretty cool.

I used this phone.
1692044971636.png

Verified my IPD at the Optometrist since the office was close to the Apple Store. This was just a quick double check. I've had 62mm on my record for a long time now.
1692044871150.png

Got my email immediately after the scan.
1692045130319.png

The email had a link to adjust your IPD.

Visited the link, and tweaked my IPD.

1692044919164.png

It was all pretty easy. Now I wait.

Last edited:
Hope you kept straight face when taking measurements. :D

They specifically said to scan with a resting face for the best fit.

I also got a confirmation that they have double checked my scan and it is all go. They said once in a while the scan isn't quite good enough and they'll ask someone to retake it.

Last edited:
I tried building up the sides of the flexible facial interface with velcro strips to prevent the Aero from moving left/right when I move my head and it doesn't appear to be helping any. I tried... it just weighs too much to stop if from moving.

AeroBuiltupfacialInterface._9236.jpg

Last edited:
The issue is not comfort. The stock Aero is the most comfortable headset I've ever worn.

The issue is that I was trying to overcome the momentum of the headset and I don't think that's going to happen.

• Deleted member 197115

So you need more padding like in that Odyssey cushion.

I just got in line for the VP Force Rhino FFB stick, but it will likely be the end of 2024 to early 2025 before I'll see one. Seems like a very cool piece of kit.

1692726318400.png

I understand they are currently building built at a rate of about 20 per month, but about 20% backout at the last minute. So that works out to about 18 months which is where I got my early 2025 time frame.

1692725203208.png

1692725456998.png

Last edited:
Did you look into aftermarket cushion, like Index of Pimax 8KX Comfort?
I remember VR Cover had some super cushioned aftermarket gasket for Odyssey.

I decided to go down that path after all. I'm hoping that the description below describing increased support means it will help hold my Aero on my head better. We will see. I'm not excited about adding additional weight and the strap looks very messy, but I won't know unless I try it.

"The improved support reduces the need to over tighten the head strap relieving pressure on the face and forehead. "

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

That Varjo Comfort Strap looks suspiciously alike the one I used on Odyssey and later on G2.
Actually it's the same company. Well, VR industry didn't seem progress much on that front in the last 5 years.

I just got in line for the VP Force Rhino FFB stick, but it will likely be the end of 2024 to early 2025 before I'll see one. Seems like a very cool piece of kit.

View attachment 689207

I understand they are currently building built at a rate of about 20 per month, but about 20% backout at the last minute. So that works out to about 18 months which is where I got my early 2025 time frame.

View attachment 689203
View attachment 689204

I'm working on a kit to go with Walmis's kits that have basically no waiting list. Compete function parity, but structually all metal and a fraction the size.. gave it the Bigscreen Beyond treatment :p

Here's a vid of my initial prototype. There have been some revisions since the vid but mechanics are the same. Some basic specs:

-150mm cube shell
-hardpoints for mounting on top/bottom/front/back, following 40mm spacing
-9Nm
-all metal (printed parts are spacers or non structural in current design, pics are prev gen)

Size comparison vs stock Rhino:
1693108580777.png

Some pics:

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

I really like @mechsicko's solution. The form factor and construction look perfect. It's still being finalized, but I like the direction it's going.

So I ordered a pair of motors and the electronics from VPforce and a power supply.
1693600027025.png

His solution is not fully complete, but I think I'll do better than early 2025, and I think I'll be much happier with a smaller mostly metal form factor.

I'm thinking that when I figure out how to quick release mount my FFB flight stick, that I'll mount it's power supply to the flight pedal deck that I remove when I'm not in flight mode.

Last edited:
I hope that SimLab rethinks their P1-Pro. I could never recommend a chassis that limiting to anyone. I know they were looking to make it look clean, but in the process they made it disposable rather than something that can grow with you.

I just tried out the Studioform headstrap for the Aero. It is basically the exact same as the Apache strap for the Crystal but it doesn't have the velcro strap in the center to put around a headset center strap which the Aero doesn't have.

The Aero was already the most comfortable headset I've ever had, so my only reason for trying this out was to try to keep the headset from moving around on my face. This strap utterly failed at helping with that issue.

So my take is that if you already find the Aero very comfortable, don't waste your money on a strap for it.

It was cheap enough that I didn't mind trying it out just in case it did something I liked, but I think it is a very unnecessary accessory for the Aero.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 32 38.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 45 53.6%