Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

@mechsicko power supply is here :)
How are the design tweaks coming ?

StickFFB_PS_9265.jpg

@mechsicko power supply is here :)
How are the design tweaks coming ?

View attachment 694249
Nice was wondering which psu you ended up going with. Found one of my bookmarked 'meanwell' type's (vented galvi box with screw terminals) I found that's 20v/480w I saved for future projects like the 86xxxx motors. Design tweaks coming along nicely, gotta do some part proofreading to put my new scs order in but am quite satisfied with the new symmetric pulley arrangement.. I'll grab a screenie next time I'm in Fusion now that it's modeled.

Preparing to the lathe work at my buddy's (finishing prepping my 2nd m36 stem, some center drilling, parting, and facing to length) on one of my upcoming weekends and have some more bits on the way from Ali that should be here soon. Other things have been consuming much of my free time, but not all of it!

Carbon X1 showed up and fit and finish was everything I expected.. it really looks and feels like if *Apple made a printer lol. I have it temp set up to do some testing and will try to crank my first 16m Benchy later today ^_^

*recently learned that Prusa plans on adding **Adaptive Shaping to the MK IV in a future update, if so that's pretty big news

**how Bambu achieves such high print quality/speed, using a LIDAR scanner on the head to analyze and compensate for machine resonances and maintain optimal extrusion parameters in real time

Side shot highlighting the new dual idler/tensioner bracket where you can see the relations and how the adjustment will work, then a fresh isometric that gives a glimpse of the revised pitch carriage with updated metal loadpaths. *Previous iteration was a blocky print. The idler bracket is 5mm thick to provide a solid base for the pressfit shafts, which is why it's hollowed out like that cause the rest is dead weight.

*The printed pitch carriage is likely sufficient all said, but if you were to gronk the stick against the hard stops, that's the component that would've broken, which for some may be preferable as kind of mechanical fuse? Now the more likely component to fail in this scenario is the stem at the base of your joystick or the connection at the base of the shaft extension :)

bandicam_2023-09-13_15-59-30-808.jpg

bandicam_2023-09-13_15-58-05-287.jpg

This is now 6:1 so on paper 9.6Nm. If there were room for another 5 teeth on the final it would be an even 10Nm but it gets perilously close to other things and this is the biggest it can go if it is to be functional in the constraints of the current enclosure.

On the enclosure, my current 150mm cube has a 1.5mm thick wall which is kinda flimsy if you poke the wrong spots but it's just a shell to form the plenum for cooling purposes and keep fingers and paws out of the business parts. However a 3mm thick version would be quite robust and the overall size would be a 6" cube and plan to offer either as an option and make files of both available so folks can reprint their own as needed or desired., they're easy prints that self support but I digress...

Looking very nice. I like the belt tension adjustment for the pulleys at the bottom by the pinion.

Would it help to add some cogged teeth where the belt clamps down at the top, or would it be tricky to get the cog alignment past that smooth 90 degree bend?

Edit:
I just realized that there is plenty of tooth engagement on either side so as long as the clamp at the top had enough pressure to keep the belt engaged the belt shouldn't be able to slide.

I think I would likely opt for the thicker sidewall thickness for the 3D printed enclosure especially with my stick being on a quick release and possibly needing to be a bit more durable.

Last edited:
Looking very nice. I like the belt tension adjustment for the pulleys at the bottom by the pinion.

Would it help to add some cogged teeth where the belt clamps down at the top, or would it be tricky to get the cog alignment past that smooth 90 degree bend?

Edit: I just realized that there is plenty of tooth engagement on either side so as long as the clamp at the top had enough pressure to keep the belt engaged the belt shouldn't be able to slide.

I think I would likely opt for the thicker sidewall thickness for the 3D printed enclosure especially with my stick being on a quick release and possibly needing to be a bit more durable.

As you have concluded there are enough teeth to prevent slippage without them once you account for the belt tangents in relation. However.. I *do* plan on putting teeth there, not to improve slippage in the drive direction but to clamp it in such a way it doesn't loosen over time and slip side to side. As is, the tips of the teeth might flatten but that clamp is also responsible for belt tracking, lacking room for a rear guide flange on the idlers or final. I can alternatively make spacers for the drive pulleys (15mm or 9mm belt is standard unless custom, mine are 12) to create a rear shoulder but I'm confident the strap clamp will make it unnecessary.

Reason I haven't already modeled them is the program I use for generating accurate pulleys can only do this in the round. Modeling GT teeth profile teeth following the right cord/spline a time consuming mess I can avoid by generating simple pulley forms in OpenSCAD and solid editing them in Fusion. Once I cut it into a 'D' the belt wraps along a changing radius into a straight it gets more complicated to keep the exact right spacing through the transitions. Solution: print v1 without them and use calipers like a cave man to measure from a on the pulley with an piece of belt clamped in to get them in the right place.

The 18m Bambu Benchy thing is not a joke. Well, technically 26m but the first 8 is it doing it's self calibration dance and first layer optimizations and such, then 18m on the model. Even with some of the setup wrong (forgot to remove enclosure lid for pla or unbag the carbon from the filter fan lol) and it just being a roll of black pla that's been hanging on my beater long enough to be wet and dusty this thing cranked the nicest one I've made with a printer yet. I've printed.. uhh, one or two of those trying to dial settings and such along the way. Moves comically fast, I think 500mm is the print speed but the travel between extrusions even faster.. watching it move makes me feel like I'm experiencing some temporal anomaly from Star Trek! :p

Having had some more time with the Bambu all I can say is the hype is justified. Printed a handful of parts from the printer's menu, then dove into the slicer which itself is a thing of beauty.. I expected to hate it because I'm allergic to new UI's especially when new dumb names replace established terms but even still it's intuitive yet comprehensive. Printed a combo test part that does unsupported overhangs, stringing towers, bridging etc and it's flawless. Overhang undersides up to 70deg were perfect and even 70-80 wasn't that bad. My boss, who is trying his hardest to not like Bambu was even impressed.

Moved on to using the AMS, starting to print validation parts for the stick. Started with the revised pulley, which came out as clean and nice as the other parts it's made so far and the slicer/AMS made very short and efficient work of using support material for the interface (using model for the rest of the support, which reduces 2 minute material changes to the bare minimum). Had my first AMS snarl as well, but it was detected, paused and when I untangled the spool it resumed as normal. Made it through the 2nd one trouble free.

Much to my delight, when I test fit the belt to the pulley, the meshing of teeth was textbook, something I'd struggled with using my previous printer despite long painstaking calibration cycles. Tested a pressed pin in the shouldered hole and another precise fit it's a thing of beauty. Don't have pics of anything yet, but the printer acclimation process is going better than anticipated. The next frontier with it is moving to more challenging materials, ABS with HIPS for the support for interfaces.

After thinking more about this, it doesn't make sense to use ABS for the enclosures, it's not even a loaded component but PLA+ is likely up for the tasks of even being the loaded parts. In short, PLA+ is simpler and faster to print and comes in a lot more colors. Besides that, if folks wanted to print their own for whatever reason (color swap, replace broken one, remixed for their own purpose etc) they're more likely to use PLA anyhow.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Any time!

I have a button box that sees some abuse made from PLA and it is holding up nicely. But it is indoors in an air conditioned room. Leave it out in a car on the sun and bad things would happen.

Last edited:
I hope that SimLab rethinks their P1-Pro. I could never recommend a chassis that limiting to anyone. I know they were looking to make it look clean, but in the process they made it disposable rather than something that can grow with you.
What is the issue with the P1-Pro? What do you think of the new GT1 Pro?

• Deleted member 197115

What is the issue with the P1-Pro? What do you think of the new GT1 Pro?
There is X1-Pro behemoth and more sensible P1-X.
GT1-Pro is downsized, smaller cockpit, not as stable and robust as the other two, probably not a good option if you go for a powerful DD wheel.
There is nothing wrong with P1-X, it's flexible enough for a regular sim racer. But we are not in a regular sim racer thread. :roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
The P1- Pro is something new with custom profile with missing slots and angled uprights and lots of highly custom metal attachment points with very little room for customization.

• Deleted member 197115

Was there some announcement on that model, cannot see it in the current sim-lab offerings?

Was there some announcement on that model, cannot see it in the current sim-lab offerings?
Hopefully they put it up on their FB group as a test and after the backlash, didn't bother releasing it.

I think the P1 and P1-X are great cockpits to start with as a canvas to grow with you.

I think I see what they are aiming for. They are trying for a more finished looking product that doesn't have the 8020 erector set look. I'm sure they get complaints about it, but in this case form follows function. They've put up ideas that remind me of of the R-Seat before too and I think that got shot down as well.

Last edited:
It´s inconceivable but there seems to be a market for "luxury sim rigs" that are bought for other reasons than as a "technical hobby" or E Sports gear.

And when you want to brag with your newest toy in your Monaco penthouse an utilitarian (pedestrian) P1-X just won´t cut it.
I think we all know that feeling...

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 09-36-40 high end sim rig at DuckDuckGo.png

I think the P1 and P1-X are great cockpits to start with as a canvas to grow with you.
Sadly none of them is going to be available once they sell the stock and move on to P1-Pro only... Any alternative to Simlab in Europe? Damn I was SO sure I'd get a Simlab rig but I'm too late to the party...

• Deleted member 197115

Sadly none of them is going to be available once they sell the stock and move on to P1-Pro only... Any alternative to Simlab in Europe? Damn I was SO sure I'd get a Simlab rig but I'm too late to the party...
Where do you get that P1-Pro information, there is nothing on sim-lab site?
And even if they change to different model, why is that a problem, you can extend your rig with standard off the shelf 80/20 parts indefinitely. Look at P1-X as a foundation you can build anything around.
You are either overthinking the situation or looking for an excuse to go different route.

It appears that they have the Pro and non Pro models side by side.
I personally don't like either of the Pro models, but as long as they keep the others, no harm, no foul.

Last edited:
Where do you get that P1-Pro information, there is nothing on sim-lab site?
And even if they change to different model, why is that a problem, you can extend your rig with standard off the shelf 80/20 parts indefinitely.
You are either overthinking the situation or looking for an excuse to go different route.
The P1-Pro info was on their discord.
I'm most likely overthinking it, I just want the option to tinker with it but I guess they thought about it.
I honestly could not find a better route especially in EU so no need for an excuse here. :D
It appears that they have the Pro and non Pro models side by side.
I personally don't like either of the Pro models, but as long as they keep the others, no harm, no foul.

Only Pro model left after the stock ends, according to discussion on their discord.

Only Pro model left after the stock ends, according to discussion on their discord.
Well, it is what it is.

If they find it was a mistake financially, they'll bring them back.

Unfortunately I think these designs will limit a lot of customization and people will end up either selling them or just replacing larger chunks of them.

It may be that SimLab is pushing more and more to be a one stop solution where you can also buy your seat, pedals, hand brake, steering wheel, etc.. So they will cater to things being a certain way and not worry about all the permutations.

They have been very successful and maybe this is a good business move for them to help differentiate their product. Their mission in life isn't to do things just because of what I think.

Even if this was a mistake, they'll figure that out. In the end they will adapt and pivot if they need to. I'm not worried about them as a company.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 39 51.3%