Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

• Deleted member 197115

After giving it another look, I think we are a bit harsh on that design.
It's still 80/20 profile, just different without t-slots in the middle which mostly just accumulate dust. Sim-lab is trying to achieve more streamlined, cleaner look, and have more custom mounts and brackets here, clearly more than usually.
As far as expandability, I don't see why you cannot bolt extra things to it, it still has t-slots and if you need that special profile, you can get it from main 80/20 resellers.
It will work perfectly especially for those who still holds back due to utilitarian industrial look of standard 80/20 rig, not gonna lie I wasn't fun of profile rigs originally, even had a stint with RSeat RS1 because of that (big mistake).
Time will tell, but looks like the monitor mount is more cleverly designed this time.

The only con I can see is that sometimes you need those redundant "accumulating dust" t-slots in the middle of the profile, leaving them out will limit some mounting options.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

I predict lateral monitor jiggle, like a tuning fork.
I am sure sim-lab folks have done their testing before coming up with that design, unless it's strictly look before function.

Last edited by a moderator:
without t-slots in the middle
I suspect there are just covers there. I would be really surprised if they had a custom profile made without the middle slot. Unless there are already profiles like that widely available in the profile-industry, I cannot see why they'd get a custom/unique profile supply.

What I see is customized brackets and connectors.

I ordered first week of June, so it looks like I might see mine before Thanksgiving.

1696171889553.png

I doubt this design would allow a fixed triple monitor setup with motion attached to survive very long...
I had to add supports at about 45 degrees that run between my wheal base upright and the outspreaded horizontal monitor mount arms. That was the only thing that I have found to keep my monitors in place with motion.

I get whey they built it with the way the market is going. But I'm still happy with my modded P1-X.

Last edited:
Been busy iterating away at on the base design while waiting for my SendCutSend order to get here. After finally coming up with an arrangement I'm stoked on for the IO block printed one close enough to dry fit all the business part into plus a tense final bonus moment of getting all the plugs into their snugly placed sockets ^_^

I have all the parts of a new enclosure printed but am reprinting a few pieces and need to shorten one of the protruding shafts to accommodate the new thicker shell and want to get that sorted before taking pics but Bambu definitely growing on me! What was a 10hr print on the X1C would've been a 32hr print on my old machine. Currently using a nice anthracite gray but can make yours whatever color you want.. Galaxy Black? :p
IO_Block.jpg

IO_Block_Pics.jpg

The side entry design for the GX12 and XT60 plugs allow them to be removed if necessary even if they are already tethered. I might use 1/4" spades for the motor>GX12 connections, that would remove the only soldering requirement but people would have to instead crimp the reciprocal sides onto their motor + wires themselves, which is probably easier than getting good hard-solder joints. Still gotta see how the space works once all wires are actually being routed inside the base, it's tight but I left pathways so should be fine.

IMG_1608.jpg

Everything plugs in!

If you look close you can see the USB sits a proud, this pic was before I recessed the socket another 1.5mm after looking at devices with this type on them. Easy to adjust though. Had the GX12 sitting further in but it was too fiddly getting the knurled ring off without resorting to needlenose once it's seated.

Placing this IO block in its larger context for confused passers by this is the USB/power entry for a <10Nm force feedback joystick base. The GX12 is for a remote estop and the two 1/8 stereo jacks for remote trim pots. Looks like this all together.

bandicam_2023-09-28_12-21-21-923.jpg

Looking good!
Galaxy Black works for me.

Is the pin out Virpil 4 pin USB connector compatible? I'm assuming there is a standard.
Do you mean for the grip where it connects at the stem? If so that will be the standard 5 pin miniDIN Thrustmaster arrangement like on Virpil, BaurBRD, Brunner and a few others. WinWing adaptable. VKB unfortunately did their own thing so one needs to route a wire to a breakout box they sell for that, will have to have another version of the enclosure with a pass-through I suppose, or a standard hole that comes with a cap plug one could normally keep in unless they need the useage of the hole but I digress

Maybe an explanation of what all the plugs are for would help.

I understand these two.
USB at the top.
Power at the bottom.

What are the others needed for?

You missed the explanation above - The GX12 is for a remote estop and the two 1/8 stereo jacks for remote trim pots.
This is correct. Last night I also learned that VKB uses a GX12 4p for their 'black box' thing for their grips so I might offer a version with 2 GX12 on it, one for the estop with the other IO's and another on the other non IO side for VKB grip pass-through

I suspect there are just covers there. I would be really surprised if they had a custom profile made without the middle slot. Unless there are already profiles like that widely available in the profile-industry, I cannot see why they'd get a custom/unique profile supply.

What I see is customized brackets and connectors.
I´ve seen a video about Sabelt ( real live racing safety gear company) teasing a new Simracing line.

Their rigs also had less grooves on the outside of the main profiles exactly like Simlabs, so it looks probable that this kind of profile is coming to market.

The manufacturing should not be problem, once the extrusion tool is made it´s just a question of order size to get acceptable prices.

It surely differentiates your product from the competition and might be (a little) easier to get by with the Misses.

I can´t imagine someone would exchange a P1x for this things, but maybe a not so technically inclined new customer ??

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 120 87.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 23 16.7%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 23 16.7%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 12.3%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 42 30.4%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 49 35.5%