MGP18 MotoGP 18 - First Gameplay Footage (and it looks goooood)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
MotoGP 18 1.jpg MotoGP 18 2.jpg MotoGP 18 3.jpg MotoGP 18 4.jpg MotoGP 18 5.jpg MotoGP 18 6.jpg
Milestone have released the first gameplay footage from MotoGP 18 using the Unreal 4 engine, showing a very visually pleasing new title.

Although only just over one minute in length, this new video release from the upcoming MotoGP 18 title is the first time we have seen the Unreal 4 game engine in action, and judging from what we've been shown so far it looks like a very visually impressive title and a step up in every respect from previous iterations of the long running MotoGP official game series.

Visual impressions aside, one thing that does cause some concern is the current version of the game AI. Although in the early development stages, it concerns me greatly that the player (using the Valentino Rossi Yamaha) can race with Marc Marquez without some kind of dirty move by the Spaniard.. not realistic at all...

In other MotoGP 18 news, check out this interesting video behind the scenes 'Making of' video:

MotoGP 18 will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC this June 7th, with Nintendo Switch release to follow later in the year.

Check out the MotoGP 18 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news from the official videogame of the MotoGP bike racing series.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to MotoGP 18? Like the look of the upcoming title? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
We just don't know where the heck the physics will stand in all of this until someone with knowledge & experience amongst us actually gets to play the game for his or herself..

My gut feeling? I have an inkling that the physics will roughly be on the same general level of challenge vs accessibility as motogp 17. In other words not much of an interesting challenge.. I sincerely hope that I am wrong in this but I doubt I will be if I am honest.

So, yeah, worst case scenario could well be unmoddable and boring arcade leaning "simcade" physics. In which case Milestone will not be getting a single penny out of me this year.. Same goes for RIDE 3.

We tried talking to them (Milestone) three years running. A direct conversation with the head of their development team. This was a monthly Q&A exercise we had going at xbla from 2013 through to 2015. They did introduce into the mix a few of the things we asked them to..ambient noise (trackside crowd noise etc.) and also in the 2014 iteration of motogp a decent enough track limits infringement penalty system. We thought we were onto something promising.. We kept pushing for more realistic and challenging physics. We sort of got that in 2015 to a degree. Then in 2016 Milestone starting dumbing it progressively down..culminating with Milestone's "vanilla" pro physics in motogp 2017. Which for many of us were disastrously bad and very boring..

Chances are I will not be partaking of more of the same this year. Am I excited about Unreal Engine 4? No. Not in the slightest. Unless the physics have dramatically improved or they have deemed it necessary to add in an additional "Simulation Physics" mode into the game.

I really hope I am wrong and am misjudging this as I want to carry on playing motogp games. But not if they continue to be made in the way that motogp 2017 was made. That's the problem here for me..

Those that are happy with what is being offered I am happy for. I have no axe to grind with them at all. But many of us will only settle for a higher level of challenge. Or we will on a personal level abstain.

I don't think so... have a look at Monster Energy and MXGP3, I've saw a way to mod the .pak files but the physics appears to be a compiled DLL (PhysX3.dll). They have one default (I think from the engine itself) and other under a folder named "ThirdParty " that I think it could be the physics folder of the old engine... but I didn't found any way to mod it...
Racedepartment needs to add a Sigh reaction

mod-edit: MotoGP Videos and Photos can be posted here https://www.racedepartment.com/media/albums/motogp-the-game.77/

Here's an interview with the developer aswell as some more gameplay.

EDIT: I will say I find it quite hard to believe the man when talking about the ''improvements'' from what we've seen so far of the game it looks like MotoGP 17.5. Though I must say I am quite happy with the graphical improvements, if anything I hope we can atleast still alter & adjust texture files if the physics cannot be touched to make the game atleast look like the best MotoGP game to date hahaha... No seriously I hope someone has plans to change the riders faces if possible... Yikes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an interview with the developer aswell as some more gameplay.

EDIT: I will say I find it quite hard to believe the man when talking about the ''improvements'' from what we've seen so far of the game it looks like MotoGP 17.5. Though I must say I am quite happy with the graphical improvements, if anything I hope we can atleast still alter & adjust texture files if the physics cannot be touched to make the game atleast look like the best MotoGP game to date hahaha... No seriously I hope someone has plans to change the riders faces if possible... Yikes...[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree, I think the graphics and new animations look great, but yeah those faces need to be re done, Rossi and Marquez look like them, but Jorge and Dovi look nothing like anyone.

I'm still waiting to hear about helmets and customisation.

Yeah I agree, I think the graphics and new animations look great, but yeah those faces need to be re done, Rossi and Marquez look like them, but Jorge and Dovi look nothing like anyone.

I'm still waiting to hear about helmets and customisation.

In this video you can see a little part of the customization they implemented this year. There will be 80 helmets (the video only show AGV, Arai and Nolan but hopefuly there'll be more brands), 90 gloves and 50 boots. But then again, unfortunately we won't be able to choose dainese suits.

Ok, so only 19 tracks in MotoGP'18 (all from 2018 season) and no Indianapolis, which was mentioned on their website? :D
And no weather choice for Qatar (only night)? Didn't they see Moto2 and Moto3 races? :D

Video looks quite good and a guy who's riding the bike also doesn't sucks that much like those in previous videos. AI is sadly still on "amoeba" level. Oh well... :unsure:
Also... did anyone noticed... AI riders are like... "jumping", speed up and slow down in fast intervals, "shaking", in the middle of the corner. Wth ?

Anyway.... in light of latest (Mugello) events, I recon there will be a day one, "Lorenzo", patch. :sneaky:

Last edited:
My league racing friend Robo has posted a video of his first impressions. Unlike most "preview" videos Robo does know how to play the game.. This is on Pro Physics and he plays around with turning assists on and off. I've asked him whether the front brake has "Super ABS" again this year or whether you can "tuck it" realistically if you overdo it on trail braking etc.

mod-edit: MotoGP Videos and Photos can be posted here https://www.racedepartment.com/media/albums/motogp-the-game.77/

Does anyone know anything about time of day and grip levels?
So will there be a different position of the sun in early morning practice sessions compared to qualifying or race?
And will there be an evolving track in terms of grip?

My league racing friend Robo has posted a video of his first impressions. Unlike most "preview" videos Robo does know how to play the game.. This is on Pro Physics and he plays around with turning assists on and off. I've asked him whether the front brake has "Super ABS" again this year or whether you can "tuck it" realistically if you overdo it on trail braking etc.

I was just about to post this haha, the game looks a lot more promising

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 60 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.2%