MGP18 MotoGP 18 - First Gameplay Footage (and it looks goooood)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
MotoGP 18 1.jpg MotoGP 18 2.jpg MotoGP 18 3.jpg MotoGP 18 4.jpg MotoGP 18 5.jpg MotoGP 18 6.jpg
Milestone have released the first gameplay footage from MotoGP 18 using the Unreal 4 engine, showing a very visually pleasing new title.

Although only just over one minute in length, this new video release from the upcoming MotoGP 18 title is the first time we have seen the Unreal 4 game engine in action, and judging from what we've been shown so far it looks like a very visually impressive title and a step up in every respect from previous iterations of the long running MotoGP official game series.

Visual impressions aside, one thing that does cause some concern is the current version of the game AI. Although in the early development stages, it concerns me greatly that the player (using the Valentino Rossi Yamaha) can race with Marc Marquez without some kind of dirty move by the Spaniard.. not realistic at all...

In other MotoGP 18 news, check out this interesting video behind the scenes 'Making of' video:

MotoGP 18 will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC this June 7th, with Nintendo Switch release to follow later in the year.

Check out the MotoGP 18 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news from the official videogame of the MotoGP bike racing series.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to MotoGP 18? Like the look of the upcoming title? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
My league racing friend Robo has posted a video of his first impressions. Unlike most "preview" videos Robo does know how to play the game.. This is on Pro Physics and he plays around with turning assists on and off. I've asked him whether the front brake has "Super ABS" again this year or whether you can "tuck it" realistically if you overdo it on trail braking etc.

No Uccio on the garage = Simcade :p

Looking promising. I think I'm convinced. Haven't played a MotoGP game since 07 I think. Gonna bite on this one

Some feedback from Robo on the front brake / tyre issue:

"it’s more likely to tuck more frequently, you can still get away with a bit but not as much as before, I tucked the front quite a few times when pushing (normally would get away with it in GP17) the dodgey rear has been fixed, tested out Brno and the rear doesn’t stupidly step out on certain corners like before. Loving the manual clutch, jump the start and it’s a ride through penalty for you!!"

So sounding quite promising perhaps? I think we will need to play the game ourselves to truly get a handle on all of this but interesting comments from my friend Robo.

Also another gameplay video however this time on the PC version of the game.[/QUOTE]

All bikes with wings except lorenzo and dovi, they say you have to unlock them but I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice in TV cam gigantic pop up of the bike shadow on ground. :unsure::alien:
Shadow only appears when bike is veeery close to the cam. Looks distracting, annoying and of course... so unrealistic. I hope it's just his graphic settings being not on max settings but I doubt somehow... it's a Milestone after all.
And they had to find a way to screw things up, for the sake of fun. :x3:

More from Robo. It goes without saying Robo comes from a year of league and online lobby racing on motogp 17. That's his starting point for any Pro level physics comparisons. Many of us here have the "starting point" of Dyego's or Giovane's excellent "simulation" physics upgrades.. So the positives might not seem quite so positive to us lot..?

Good news is apparently that the grass (FINALLY!) is more slippery in motogp 18. About flippin' time! (if you'll excuse the pun?)

mod-edit: MotoGP Videos and Photos can be posted here https://www.racedepartment.com/media/albums/motogp-the-game.77/

"Midge"

People say you can have them with or without wings (Ducati Factory Team) , but most of them are complaning because they say they don't have them or they're locked? Can anybody help me with this issue?

Here's a live-stream from one of the fastest motogp online players in the world.. Interesting dialogue in the chat-box also involving two other guys I know who made it to the eSports final last year in Valencia.

So these guys know what they're doing with this..

wallydj is not impressed with the vibrational feedback on the front end &/or front brake amongst other things..

mod-edit: MotoGP Videos and Photos can be posted here https://www.racedepartment.com/media/albums/motogp-the-game.77/

wallydj is not impressed with the vibrational feedback on the front end &/or front brake amongst other things..

He said that it is like racing on iceskates.

Honestly, I dont know what to think about it. It might be that he is used to the very very easy and unrealistic physics of 2017's game. Probably he want to get the same laptimes and braking points as in 2017. It is good that this is not possible anymore. Haven't played it but physics LOOKS much better than in 2017.

He said that it is like racing on iceskates.

Honestly, I dont know what to think about it. It might be that he is used to the very very easy and unrealistic physics of 2017's game. Probably he want to get the same laptimes and braking points as in 2017. It is good that this is not possible anymore. Haven't played it but physics LOOKS much better than in 2017.

wally, like me, deeply disliked motogp17.. He's been playing quite a lot of motogp 15 recently as he grew tired of the "arcade" leaning physics in motogp 17. I've talked to him about this recently. He (and I) both felt that despite the handling flaws with the rear end in motogp 15 it was by far the best of the bunch so far as the bikes felt "alive" and gave pretty good feedback..

So wally was never a fan of motogp 17.

Maybe this is a bug on the PS4 version of the game (lack of decent & accurate vibrational feedback) as Robo seems much happier with things on xbox one x?

Other big complaint from wally is understeer..

Tbh I am quite liking the look of it as it does look quite challenging to ride (unlike motogp 17) but I will have to try it myself before saying anything more.

Always, there are voiced concerns before things are patched and/or before people properly acclimatise to a new iteration of a racing game..particularly so on a new engine I guess?

No time to watch the whole video. What are the complains?
If it's about front tyre lock feedback, you can't expect the controller to warn you, you have to find the limit yourself and be careful never to cross it. Otherwise you'd never crash...

Also these guys ride over the limit by going over kerbs or cutting too much, if they had full sim-on they would crash every two corners

If it's about front tyre lock feedback, you can't expect the controller to warn you, you have to find the limit yourself and be careful never to cross it. Otherwise you'd never crash...

Also these guys ride over the limit by going over kerbs or cutting too much, if they had full sim-on they would crash every two corners

I tend to agree re. controller feedback as there is an argument that you should not be fully reliant upon this..there was no vibrational feedback on gp500 (which on cold or worn tyres was very challenging on the front brake) and we all seemed to manage o.k. on that. Ditto gpbikes arguably also although I know there is a way of getting some basic controller feedback from the track with a plug-in. These guys are searching rightly or wrongly for anything that will give them an edge on lap-times. But on a level playing field..

As regards riding the kerbs I think wally was just finding the "limit" in doing this after the kerb riding ease of motogp17. Later in his live-stream (which has now recommenced) he's adjusted his riding accordingly..i.e. less kerb I think.

wally always races on Pro Physics. What assists he may have been running I am not so sure though.

If ppl are struggling a bit and falling off (even very fast players) that's a good thing in my book.. ;)

I wake up to a bunch of new information, lovely.
I think it's safe to say that Milestone is finally taking this franchise into the right direction albeit not 100% there yet as of now it's atleast an immense improvement over 2017.
I do hope they support this game atleast a little longer/better in terms of patches.
Also food for thought, with them coming to UE4 it might be that the workload has decreased on the technical side of things as they no longer have to work with their in-house engine meaning they perhaps had more developement time to focus on the physics of the game aswell. Also now that the brunt of scanning tracks has been done and the foundation has been laid down for the next game, I think this ''reboot'' might actually/hopefully get better with each new release like what happened with Codemasters F1.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 58 9.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 31 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.2%