Natural Mod PP Filter

Misc Natural Mod PP Filter 27

Login or Register an account to download this content
Cheers! Glad you got it working and it looks good for you, which headset? I switched to quest 2 recently and as the black level is worse, I've set contrast_day in natural_mod.lua to 0.99 to compensate

Little bit of an update: I'm finding Natural_Mod_Base works best for me, even though I'm running Sol 2.1. I get remarkably similar results to the Sol_Extra PP filter but 10+FPS more. Natural_Mod gives me a smaller boost.

Adjustments I made include:
  • Turning on autoexposure
  • AE range of 0.2 to 0.8 (although I'm still tweaking this for nighttime)
  • AE target 0.25 (higher for VR)
  • Gamma 1.4 (wanted a little more contrast)
  • Color brightness 1.0
  • Contrast 1.05
  • Color temp=5900
I'm assuming WHITE_BALANCE is the white balance of the display, and COLOR_TEMP is the white balance of the image? I get good results when adjust COLOR_TEMP without WHITE_BALANCE. I prefer a warmer tone like Sol_Extra has.

The pics I attached are of an Audi S5 model very similar to my own. I can vouch that the color and shine are very realistic (although the model has a bug where it doesn't show the headlights with a PP filter active).

Attachments

• Natural_Mod_Base.jpg
    Natural_Mod_Base.jpg
    946.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Sol_Extra.jpg
    Sol_Extra.jpg
    927.7 KB · Views: 177
No they are the same for both filters
Adding the following to the first function in the .lua of latest version should fix it:
SOL__set_config("sun", "dazzle_mix", 0.5)

using the old version of my filter with latest version of sol will result in godrays being shown in bad weather due to the old .lua code format from sol 2.0 not being supported in 2.1 such that this line in the old version is not actually working: ppfilter__modify_glare = true

@Buzz_Buzz_Buzz glad you got something to your liking. I'm not sure exactly how WB/colour temp variables work, but you can increase one or decrease the other to get a warmer image.

edit:
latest version with quite a few tweaks, will upload new version after testing more

Code:
function init_sol_custom_config()
    ac.setPpTonemapGamma(1.4)
    ac.setPpTonemapExposure(0.36)
    contrast_day = 0.98--set value for day here. value at night will always be 1.0. Probably want to set this to 1.0 for displays with poor black level
    SOL__set_config("csp_lights", "controlled_by_sol", true)
    SOL__set_config("nerd__csp_lights_adjust", "emissive_day", 1.0)
    SOL__set_config("pp", "modify_glare", true)
    SOL__set_config("pp", "modify_godrays", true)
    SOL__set_config("sky", "smog", 0.6)
    SOL__set_config("ambient", "sun_color_balance", 0.9)
    SOL__set_config("moon", "casts_shadows", false)
    SOL__set_config("pp", "brightness_sun_link_only_interior", false)
end

function update_sol_custom_config()
    ac.setPpTonemapFilmicContrast(0.2 + (0.3 * night_compensate(0)))--0.2 day 0.5 night
    ac.setPpContrast(1 - ((1-contrast_day) * from_twilight_compensate(0)))
    SOL__set_config("nerd__ambient_adjust", "Level", (1.0 + (math.lerp(0.1, 0, weather__get_overcast()) * day_compensate(0))))--1.1 day 1.0 night
    SOL__set_config("nerd__sun_adjust", "ls_Level", 1 - (0.25 * sun_compensate(0)), true)--0.75 day, 1.0 sunset
    SOL__set_config("nerd__sun_adjust", "ls_Saturation", 1.2 - (0.2 * sun_compensate(0)), true)--1.0 day, 1.2 sunset
    SOL__set_config("pp", "brightness_sun_link", (0.3 + (0.7 * night_compensate(0))))--0.3 day 1.0 night
    SOL__set_config("night", "brightness_adjust", 0.3, true)
    SOL__set_config("night", "starlight_multiplier", 0.4, true)
    SOL__set_config("nerd__stars_adjust", "Exponent", 0.5, true)
end

Last edited:
Adding the following to the first function in the .lua of latest version should fix it:

using the old version of my filter with latest version of sol will result in godrays being shown in bad weather due to the old .lua code format from sol 2.0 not being supported in 2.1 such that this line in the old version is not actually working: ppfilter__modify_glare = true

@Buzz_Buzz_Buzz glad you got something to your liking. I'm not sure exactly how WB/colour temp variables work, but you can increase one or decrease the other to get a warmer image.

edit:
latest version with quite a few tweaks, will upload new version after testing more

Code:
function init_sol_custom_config()
    ac.setPpTonemapGamma(1.4)
    ac.setPpTonemapExposure(0.36)
    contrast_day = 0.98--set value for day here. value at night will always be 1.0. Probably want to set this to 1.0 for displays with poor black level
    SOL__set_config("csp_lights", "controlled_by_sol", true)
    SOL__set_config("nerd__csp_lights_adjust", "emissive_day", 1.0)
    SOL__set_config("pp", "modify_glare", true)
    SOL__set_config("pp", "modify_godrays", true)
    SOL__set_config("sky", "smog", 0.6)
    SOL__set_config("ambient", "sun_color_balance", 0.9)
    SOL__set_config("moon", "casts_shadows", false)
    SOL__set_config("pp", "brightness_sun_link_only_interior", false)
end

function update_sol_custom_config()
    ac.setPpTonemapFilmicContrast(0.2 + (0.3 * night_compensate(0)))--0.2 day 0.5 night
    ac.setPpContrast(1 - ((1-contrast_day) * from_twilight_compensate(0)))
    SOL__set_config("nerd__ambient_adjust", "Level", (1.0 + (math.lerp(0.1, 0, weather__get_overcast()) * day_compensate(0))))--1.1 day 1.0 night
    SOL__set_config("nerd__sun_adjust", "ls_Level", 1 - (0.25 * sun_compensate(0)), true)--0.75 day, 1.0 sunset
    SOL__set_config("nerd__sun_adjust", "ls_Saturation", 1.2 - (0.2 * sun_compensate(0)), true)--1.0 day, 1.2 sunset
    SOL__set_config("pp", "brightness_sun_link", (0.3 + (0.7 * night_compensate(0))))--0.3 day 1.0 night
    SOL__set_config("night", "brightness_adjust", 0.3, true)
    SOL__set_config("night", "starlight_multiplier", 0.4, true)
    SOL__set_config("nerd__stars_adjust", "Exponent", 0.5, true)
end
Tried the new version, also tried to add the line on the lua file but same thing with the sun glare, I guess it has to do with SOL cause when i use Sol filters there's no sunglare either. The file with sunglare is default filter.

Attachments

• 20210326132110_1.jpg
    20210326132110_1.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210326132200_1.jpg
    20210326132200_1.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 102
Tried the new version, also tried to add the line on the lua file but same thing with the sun glare, I guess it has to do with SOL cause when i use Sol filters there's no sunglare either. The file with sunglare is default filter.
That line is in the latest version. What i would suggest for now is, remove it or set the value to 0, then modify the natural_mod.ini file lines 172 and 173, this is probably good:
Code:
LENGTH=12
GLARE_RATIO=0.03
I may do this in an update, as the sol "dazzle" feature has a quirk that i'm not keen on.

Is this compatible with the newer alpha versions of SOL? They mention the following.

"PPFilter modders: Please read included "Sol 2.1 Custom Config changes.pdf" With this alpha version sol_config.lua is no longer used !!! PPFilters which uses the custom config script, must use the new format to access Sol !!!"

Is this compatible with the newer alpha versions of SOL? They mention the following.

"PPFilter modders: Please read included "Sol 2.1 Custom Config changes.pdf" With this alpha version sol_config.lua is no longer used !!! PPFilters which uses the custom config script, must use the new format to access Sol !!!"
Yeah it is only compatible with sol 2.1 and above

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 32 8.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 19 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 28 7.3%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.6%