Problems with UK customs

Kek700

Premium
Does anyone have any information, just bought a new sim rig, paid my import charges at the source.
DPD are the couriers they asked me for the total import charge, even though it was paid.
They have treated three parcels as individual parcels, but charged me the total import Vat cost x 3.
Talked to DPD, talked to customs, talked to a brick wall just to get a sensible conversation for once. :confused:

Customs has always been a mess but it didn't used to apply to so many products as they weren't imports since they came from the EU, now however things are a little different. You often get screwed and there is not a lot you can do about it, it is a complete racket.

Upvote 0
Customs has always been a mess but it didn't used to apply to so many products as they weren't imports since they came from the EU, now however things are a little different.
It depends. I recently bought a 3D printer from Poland and the only charges I had were for the VAT and a small admin charge (£11) from the courier.

Upvote 0
I recently bought from Fanatec and they only charged me for shipping and the price without vat. Their website recognises you are UK customer so it takes VAT off prices.

I then was contacted by UPS and asked to pay the UK vat plus import charge (about £15 I think).

Paying at source for the VAT might be the issue. Not sure EU companies should be doing that for UK customers. It might be a pain for them now to somehow pass the VAT back to HMRC.

Hopefully you have only paid the right amount of UK vat for the total order cost although a pain to have to pay x3 import charge.

If you have now paid the UK vat to the import company are you able to get a refund on the vat you paid to the supplier? The EU supplier had no reason to charge you the VAT as far as I know.

Upvote 0
The company has a UK subsidiary company.
I looked at paying three times the vat to get the whole order delivered.
Only got one parcel of the three, when the company paid the included Vat to DPD. DPD then wanted 2 x the whole vat sum for each of the other two parcels.
Went to see what I needed to do for the customs claims back procedure.
I don’t have enough year’s of life left to go through it all.:confused:
I am hopeful that the company can sort it out with the customs, as a problem, it just does not get any simpler.
Even the village idiot can quite easily see a solution to an obvious problem.
I live in hope.:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 27 12.4%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 30 13.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • Friday

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • Saturday

Votes: 124 56.9%