Project CARS Modding Questions & WIP

@sheino
OBJ files can be a starting point. OBJ would be imported into Zmodeler2. Make whatever changes you would like to the models and materials while in Zmodeler, then export as NFS Shift Meb files.
So theoreticaly I could import any car? For example downloaded from
http://tf3dm.com/3d-models/vehicles as long as I name the files/textures correctly? Or do I have to work on an exiting model ported/edited from some other game?

I am asking because we have a real car model to which we have applied advanced airflow/downforce dynamic algorithms (as a result it changed car appearence quite a bit) and we want to import it to the game (shift seems ok) to get some sort of feel before publishing it. The car itself is in .cad which can be exported as .obj. So im wondering whether that is possible(does not require extensive hours editing the model itself). Do you think it would be a waste of time? as an alternative would be just to render some kind of video using what we have now.

Many thanks.

@sheino
Basically, the model needs to be in any format that will get it into Zmodeler2....Obj being the most common format to use. When importing a high poly model in Obj format into Zmodeler, you may need to break up the model, due to polygon limitation per object. You'll notice this when the model looks all deformed after importing. In that case, in the import window choose either "Split by Groups" or "Split by Materials"....then the model will import in many pieces without any deformations.
From there, it's a matter of looking over the shading/normals of the model. If the model looks clean after importing, there's the matter of assigning material names in the material editor, along with setting shaders/techniques. It's best to have the car broken into pieces similar to other cars in the game (body, chassis, lights, bonnet, boot, bumper, etc).
Exporting the car into a game like NFS Shift and S2U would be much easier than pCars. Pcars requires a lot of hex editing to cure some graphical anomalies.

@JDougNY
Thanks!
One last question can you dynamically modify car parameters (downforces, weight) during gameplay/race (possibly by changing values at RAM) in such way that game would instantly adapt without the need to restart/crash. Futhermore is the cockpit.bff is necessary for a car to be successfully imported
P.s Thats the car that I am trying to import if you're interested :)

index.png

Last edited:
Thanks!
One last question can you dynamically modify car parameters (downforces, weight) during gameplay/race (possibly by changing values at RAM) in such way that game would instantly adapt without the need to restart/crash. Futhermore is the cockpit.bff is necessary for a car to be successfully imported
P.s Thats the car that I am trying to import if you're interested :)
Which car is that?
Does it include a properly modeled cockpit or just a low poly cockpit?

You can probably change weight via ram edit. Aero changes happen dynamically in the game, so I would think that any ram edits to aero would be immediately overwritten....well, unless you can locate the base lift values and change those....might be able to get away with that.
All that really happens is that the car body will sit a little lower in motion with higher levels of downforce.

If you are making pics/videos of only the exterior view of the car, then you don't need a cockpit model. But, you would need some type of interior model that is seen when using exterior cameras.

Which car is that?
Does it include a properly modeled cockpit or just a low poly cockpit?
It's Elemental RP1 released last year, pretty sexy car I must say :D.
It has low poly cockpit for now, but considering that it's open roof might need to take loads of pictures and try to auto model the cockpit, hopefully that will save me some work.

In any case thanks for all the answers!

I should probably find some thread at official forum to ask this..but. Does anybody know if (or when) SMS will stop patching pCars?
I have provided a lot of unpacked BFFs in my public folder and was thinking of making a finalized version of them. I just don't want to go through the process of unpacking any revised BFFs, over and over again, if SMS is going to keep pushing patches.

They have stopped patching as far as I am aware. .. the only work being done on Pcars is bug fixes.

Now seeing as there has has been no bug fixes of note throughout entire release, I think this is their way of saying support has stopped. The unofficial word is there is no more to come and they moved on to pcars 2.

ZkkiWjq.jpg
I did't mean to post here oopsie!

Here have a pic for your troubles :)

BMW Alpina B6 GT3

Final Stages now, although cockpit is still a WIP. Car is a torque monster, and gets up to full speed in no time! Lap times are impressive.

Much thanks to Doug for all his help this is my first attempt at modding, it would not be possible without his help.. he is a true legend in my eyes!

If interested in making a skin can find templates from no grip or hit me up with a PM

Last edited:
I should probably find some thread at official forum to ask this..but. Does anybody know if (or when) SMS will stop patching pCars?
I have provided a lot of unpacked BFFs in my public folder and was thinking of making a finalized version of them. I just don't want to go through the process of unpacking any revised BFFs, over and over again, if SMS is going to keep pushing patches.

I would be vary of releasing any Methods you have in store which can be used to change stuff outside of the current mod support.

That should probably wait till the E-Sports stopped (if it does stop, at some point), otherwise I would kind of expect them to try and do something about this (I can understand why, even if it sucks for modders).

So I guess if you got some cards up your sleeve, it's best to keep them hidden for now and not make them public somewhere.

Quite a while back we also got told that some tire physics updates would come to pcars 1, but I don't really expect it anymore to be honest.

Hi i got a question. Can u manually modify car class ? For example road b to road a.Ps i dont know anytthing about modding :D

Jon has informed me that he uploaded the Supras to our mediafire folder.
Two snaps to show you what you are getting:
20160630123017_1.jpg 20160630123642_1.jpg

@jurej: changing class is actually very easy:
navigate e.g. to pCars\Vehicles\Toyota_SupS1 and look for the .crd file. Open it and edit the line
Code:
<prop name="Vehicle Class" data="Road C1" />
. Change it to e.g.
Code:
<prop name="Vehicle Class" data="Road B" />
to put the vehicle in B class.

Last edited:
Jon informed that he uploaded the Supras to our mediafire folder.
Two snaps to show you what you are getting:
View attachment 142046 View attachment 142047

@jurej: changing class is actually very easy:
navigate e.g. to pCars\Vehicles\Toyota_SupS1 and look for the .crd file. Open it and edit the line
Code:
<prop name="Vehicle Class" data="Road C1" />
. Change it to e.g.
Code:
<prop name="Vehicle Class" data="Road B" />
to put the vehicle in B class.[/
thanks very much

I got 2last questions.Can u change class of car made from sms and its in base game? And how do you change horsepower,top speed and more in mods ?

Last edited:
Just asked on nsss thread with tire textures, but I'll do it there in case someone would know.

Is there a way to have different tyre textures for AI/MP opponents ? It seems to either use the condition tyre 2 for slick or condition tyre 6 for rain. Any trick to improve that ?

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 440 69.7%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 273 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 292 46.3%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 129 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 172 27.3%
Back