Project CARS Modding Questions & WIP

I am sure that if anybody is going to sink hours and days of work into a mod, they will choose a car that's somehow special to them.

WIP Porsche 997 GT3 R :

Hello, i resolve some problem like driver position, sequential gearbox, but i can't arrive to map wiper trails and wiper mask on exterior windows and windshield. The wiper don't swipe the windows. I follow JDougNY instruction page 15

"Next, create a temporary meb that has front windscreen mapped to wiper trails texture. From the temporary meb, copy UV0(1,3,0) to UV4(1,3,4) of your good windscreen meb."

But in zmodeler when i map wiper texture on windscreen and export temp .meb, there's no change on uv0 !!
What wrong !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Never question the Doug! :), if it didn't work you need to do exactly as he said. Honestly can't really tell you why your mapping is bad, only you can find the answer to this.

Only Doug would know immediately what your problem is, because he just knows everything, even what you had for dinner :). I think he is taking a break though... I am sure will figure it out though keep going.

ah given up already :p

Wish my problems were so small I must create much from scratch maybe even some animation... I like beating the problems. Modding is just a series of problems to overcome lol.

Yes modding is just a series of problems, some problems are easy to resolve others not.
Fortunately we can count on the community to solve problems :):):)

mapping cockpit windscreen to get rain:
all is done in zmod2 (bear in mind I haven't had to do this up till now so it's my first attempt and I am sure JDougNY would explain this way better. you're stuck with me so tough luck ;):

1. import your windscreen along with windscreen bmt into zmod.
2. create a copy of windscreen material and rename it to sth like "yourcar_windscreen2 Glass"
3. in material editor add rain trail texture (it should be from the car whose wipers you will be using, .e.g. ruf wiper trail) to your original bmt
4. back in main application select only your windscreen (front) (select mode enabled) and assign to it your first windscreen material (the one to which you added rain trail texture)
5. deselect and then select both windows on the sides and now assign to it your second material (with no wiper trails)
6. deselect all and select windscreen only
7. switch to vertices (select mode enabled: you should see green lines coming out of points in vertices)
8. in your back view viewer right click: mapping / edit uv
9. in the new window keep those selected:
aa. Create/edit uv
a. from viewportXY
b. keep old mapping
c. select old mapping
hit OK
10. in one of your viewports select UVmapper and your windscreen and texture should appear. If not pick your material from the available materials.
11. scale, move and rotate the windscreen in uvmapper all the time looking at it in your User and/or 3d viewports until you are satisfied.
12. when all is good you are almost ready to export. Now in your viewports ensure that normals point inwards (see JDougNY's instructions on page 15 here)
13. export this meb to a temporary folder
14. select channel 1.3.0 from the temp meb and paste it into channel 1.3.4 of your original windscreen meb (make sure this channel is still called 1.3.4 and not your copied 1.3.0!)
if rain/wiper trails are wrong size manipulate tile options in mtx as per JDoug's instructions on page 15.
15. create new mtx for your door windows: these won't have wiper trails. see examples in our mods (the naming is similar to what I recommend in point 2 above.

Again, Ive just done it the first time, so there might be a better way but it is what it is.
Now I wish people who already know how to do this helped out new members a bit more. You guys know who you are!

EDIT: Ive just realized your windscreen meb will only reference 1 material so your door windows are screwed. Not sure how to deal with this at this moment. Anybody?

EDIT2: I guess you could export first windscreen just with the added material assigned to your door windows: treat it as your master meb. Then do the uv mapping to the windscreen as described above and paste the new channel as per instructions.

Last edited:
Thanks Gvse a master explanation !
I retry as soon as possible

A idea, we could make a pcars modding wiki or a tutorial to convert car from shift2 with all the forum explanation ? ;) Who's agrees ?

Hmm I have full instruction from Doug... I won't post here as is not my words to post. I did message Didouc some time ago that if I could help I would. I also told him i had info for windows, so if needed instructions he had only to PM me back.

I only did the windows once myself so I still need follow what I noted from Doug :)

I don't think a tutorial is really even possible, you could do it for parts but so many gaps in whats needed would be pointless. If someone really wants to mod then they need learn all this stuff anyway... I am learning that myself :)

your Mazda rx5 might be crashing the game for many reasons. First of all, which game version do you have? For creating mods I recommend version 9 as you can alt-tab out of game, do changes , reload car, and see the changes applied. In 11 you have to restart the whole game, which is rather ridiculous when you are modding.

Renault: noone is gonna give you trouble if you experiment with the mod. If you get to release stage you'd better ask for permissions from mod creators. Now, I strongly advise against converting non-Shift2 cars as your first mod as the whole process is much more complicated than with s2u cars due to additional amount of hex-editing of mebs. Once you get comfortable with Shift2 cars switch to models from other games.

Thanks... I'm using V11, I maintained the V9 for a time while the mods weren't working(I will search for it)...

some screenshots of the progress...
ss182110.jpg ss182119.jpg ss182124.jpg ss182137.jpg ss182146.jpg
for the moment I'm still trying to drive the car, it can only be driven by the AI, if I select it, it crashes when loading the race...

I'm getting this errors:
-[cSTFM::VehicleModAdded]MODS: Error loading vehicles\mazda_mx5\mazda_mx5_cockpit.vhf
[00:48:57:893][0x00001c74] [Info ]
[00:49:39:814][0x00001710] [Info ] [MemoryFile::ReadOpen] Loaded physics file vehicles/Physics/Suspension/Ariel_Atom.sdfbin
[00:49:39:822][0x00001710] [Info ] [MWL::MatchMaterial] Failed to match material name VEHICLE_COMPONENT_COLLISION_CONVEX_ARIEL_ATOM_BOOT_LODA
[00:49:39:822][0x00001710] [Info ] [Material::Register] (it repeats for all mebs...)

-[00:49:39:853][0x00001c74] [ERROR] [VehicleRenderGI::Create_LoadMesh] Failed to load vehicle spec 'vehicles\mazda_mx5\mazda_mx5_ultra.vhf'.
[00:49:39:943][0x00001c74] [Info ] [VehicleAnim::LoadSteeringAndSuspensionAnims] Failed to load steering animation ""
[00:49:39:943][0x00001c74] [Info ] [VehicleAnim::LoadSteeringAndSuspensionAnims] Failed to load suspension animation ""
[00:49:39:943][0x00001c74] [Info ] [VehicleAnim::LoadSteeringAndSuspensionAnims] Failed to load suspension animation ""

That last file doesn't exist(mazda_mx5_ultra.vhf)...

I didn't modified the original mazda_mx5.vhf file and it contains the meshes for the 4 kit, that has the car in S2U...

Could it be the problem? I'm still using the physics from the Ariel_Atom3...

Thanks again...

@Binary Thanks...

@wolfsburg
what will most likely allow you in the driver's seat is if you rename your "mazda_mx5_cpit.vhf" to "mazda_mx5_cockpit.vhf"
Of course then check your .cpt file and make sure it references renamed vhf!

Test and report please.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 470 70.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 284 42.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 307 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 136 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 181 27.1%
Back