RD Formula FG Championship Season 1

The new system is actually a brillianty fair one.
I really like it, everybody has the chance to get a bonus.
I agree that the system as a whole is very fair indeed, but the fact that only the last 4 qualifying results are being taken into account puts N-Tech at a disadvantage as in 2 of the past 4 qualifying sessions we have had exceptional good results, making the test target average a very steep target to meet to get anything from the test session at all.

And btw.... Why was your team punished at the first test @Smartbean ? Every team started with the exact same chances into the season, it was either wrong chosen upgrades and / or bad luck that you couldnt get the good results for the first test.
No punishment.
I haven't said my team was punished in the first test, I said we are now being punished for having 2 exceptional good qualifying results in 2 of the last 4 qualifying sessions, which drives down the average qualifying position and thus creating a very steep target for the second test.

And every team does not so much have the same chances at the season start. N-Tech had a qualifying BHP of 774, that's a whopping 16 BHP less that DTK had at the season start for example. Despite buying up to 6 or 7 Quali BHP in the first 6 rounds before the first test, there was still quite a sizable gap to the team with the next lowest qualifying value. And with the first test being a qualifying session, it was obvious that there was not much to gain. But that was OK at the time, as the plan then was that the second test would be a race session, where we (N-Tech) could have a bigger chance at some test rewards. But unfortunately, that's now a qualifying session as well, which again puts N-tech at a disadvantage because of what I explained above.

I agree that the system as a whole is very fair indeed, but the fact that only the last 4 qualifying results are being taken into account puts N-Tech at a disadvantage as in 2 of the past 4 qualifying sessions we have had exceptional good results, making the test target average a very steep target to meet to get anything from the test session at all.

I haven't said my team was punished in the first test, I said we are now being punished for having 2 exceptional good qualifying results in 2 of the last 4 qualifying sessions, which drives down the average qualifying position and thus creating a very steep target for the second test.

And every team does not so much have the same chances at the season start. N-Tech had a qualifying BHP of 774, that's a whopping 16 BHP less that DTK had at the season start for example. Despite buying up to 6 or 7 Quali BHP in the first 6 rounds before the first test, there was still quite a sizable gap to the team with the next lowest qualifying value. And with the first test being a qualifying session, it was obvious that there was not much to gain. But that was OK at the time, as the plan then was that the second test would be a race session, where we (N-Tech) could have a bigger chance at some test rewards. But unfortunately, that's now a qualifying session as well, which again puts N-tech at a disadvantage because of what I explained above.

If you can give me an alternative to the current situation, I will take that into account and see what I can do.

If you swap the values and do a quali session, you'd also have to take average race finish imo. Would like that though, the DNFs would come in handy then :p

If you swap the values and do a quali session, you'd also have to take average race finish imo. Would like that though, the DNFs would come in handy then :p
i think i'd find just the race fastest laps in a switch. If i can find the data for the last 4 races, that is what we will do. I will also allow those who have made buys to change them if they want.

Why is it unlikely?

Stephan has beaten his objective 3 times in the last four races, Krisztian did it 2 times.
And your quali-pace was getting better in the last races, in the last two races both drivers and the team qualified better than the objectives, right?

Already I can say that I don't have full data for the fastest laps by each driver in the European Grand Prix, so on the basis of missing that, it is going to be hard to use the race skill swap... I would rather not use just 3 races as a basis, but if it is agreed on we can still do it.

Already I can say that I don't have full data for the fastest laps by each driver in the European Grand Prix, so on the basis of missing that, it is going to be hard to use the race skill swap... I would rather not use just 3 races as a basis, but if it is agreed on we can still do it.
Just stick to your original idea and use quali results and values. It's a test session after all, not a test race.

If you can give me an alternative to the current situation, I will take that into account and see what I can do.
Like I said before, to get a equal chance for everyone, take the average of all 12 qualifying rounds rather than just the last 4. That leads to a bit more calculating yes, but it gives more fair targets for everyone I think.

Do a race and count averages according to the race finishing positions?
Or maybe swap race BHP/skill and quali BHP/skill for all teams and run another quali one?
Not a bad suggestion, too bad Aidan said he doesn't have enough data to do so.

Just stick to your original idea and use quali results and values. It's a test session after all, not a test race.
I agree, even though at first a race session was initially planned for the second test. And like I said before, using all 12 qualifying rounds rather than just the last 4 is the fairest way of going about it, imho.

If anything, at least count the rounds between the first and second test, but I agree about having all 12 rather than just the last 4.

Why is it unlikely?

Stephan has beaten his objective 3 times in the last four races, Krisztian did it 2 times.
And your quali-pace was getting better in the last races, in the last two races both drivers and the team qualified better than the objectives, right?
I'm not saying that it's impossible, I'm saying that it's unlikely, as both Krisztian and I have been very lucky to get 11th and 9th and 11th and 12th in the past 2 races. As we had the lowest quali BHP value of all 11 teams, and usually qualify quite a bit further down the field. If I'm not mistaken before the last two races I have only qualified 10th once during the Austrian GP, apart from that I'm usually around 14th-20th in the other 9 GP's. So yes, I think that it's unlikely that I or my team mate will have a lot tougher job meeting our targets if only the last 4 races were taken into account.

I'll list my qualifying results here in a minute, so you can see what I mean.

EDIT:
((Pre season test: 20))
Australian GP: 22
Malaysian GP: 14
Brazilian GP: 14
San Marino GP: 18
Spanish GP: 15
Austrian GP: 10
((1st test: 18))
((Monaco GP: 18))
Monaco GP Re-run: 19
Canadian GP: 20
European GP: 11
French GP: 20
British GP: 12
German GP: 9
Average: 22+14+14+18+15+10+19+20+11+20+12+9 / 12 = 15,333
Those in brackets I have not counted towards the total. Taking all 12 (counting) qualifying sessions into account, that would mean I have to at least finish 16th to get the minimum bonus of +5 skill for being behind 1 on average, rather than 14th if only the last 4 races are taken into account.

Last edited:
well we'll take since Monaco then. not using all 12 races. This is meant to be to do with recent form, not seasonal.
Monaco GP Re-run: 19
Canadian GP: 20
European GP: 11
French GP: 20
British GP: 12
German GP: 9
Another calculation for me then: 19+20+11+20+12+9 / 6 = 15,167
This seems a lot more accurate and more of an achievable target for a team with the lowest qualifying value of all 11 teams (as per British GP, as Neron's buys might give us an edge, depending on what the other low quali value teams buy).

Personal values after buys:
Quali BHP: 793
Race BHP: 798
CoF: 3340
Quali Skill: 16090
Race Skill: 16130
Quali Variation: 300
Race Variation: 270

EDIT: Updated with Neron's team buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understood Aidan, thanks for listening to my (lenghty) plea. I don't see any problems with it next season as we then know what to expect, but this season's second test changes came unexpected and would be a clear disadvantage to at least N-Tech.
I am happy to listen to the participants for ways to improve the series if the idea is possible. As it turns out, with you bringing forward your suggestions we found some others who agreed. I don't mind some disagreements, the best way to make me here your plea is to give a solution, to which I might be able to implement something. :thumbsup:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 11 25.0%
Back