Samsung CRG9 / 49" / 32:9 Monitor (5120 x 1440 1000 HDR)

I know this is just personal opinion, and repetitive from my previous comments.
- recently I was able to get a 3080.
- I tried VR again (HP Reverb) thinking maybe the new graphics card would change my thinking.
- Nope.
- I don't deny there is something special with VR. But the annoying bulls*t of the settings and all the tweaking and finding of special ini files etc, just annoys me. And it takes away from my enjoyment of sim racing.
- I am very happy with the CRG9, together with Track IR. With the 3080 now I can really pump up graphics settings which are hardly noticeable vs the 1080ti (to be honest).

I still have a curiosity for VR and will keep experimenting every now and then. But I cannot seem to get things working in a simple way. The constant adjustments and messing around just frustrates me, and it's not worth it other than for a fun change every now and then.

To those that have found the way or the solution, all respect and I wish I had your patience.

• Deleted member 197115

I am not sure what requires "constant" adjustments. Once you figured out settings for the title or just used someone's else, it's just one smooth sailing.
Is it really different from finding the right image/performance balance settings for flat screen?

For those talking about or wondering about heat coming from the monitor...

Ive used the G9 for probably 20 hours now. I’m using it to play games like RDR2 or Assassins Creed (I’ve switched completely to VR now for sim racing). When I play these games, I pull the screen right up to my face - I mean right up to my face - maybe 8” away (so my entire FOV is screen). I have the brightness set to 20, and mine is not hot in the slightest. I have all the other lights off in the room and don’t feel like it needs to go any brighter than 20.

I’m in the northern hemisphere, and it’s in my basement so the ambient temp is colder, but of course with my PC running the room heats up a bit. Still - no issue at all feeling any heat coming off my screen at 8” away.

Hey Atak
I just ordered the CRG49.. arrives friday.. also using a 1080Ti.
Did you find the 1080ti performed ok with the monitor?

Absolutely fine. I guess depends on your needs, but I ran every game in 1440p, pretty healthy settings, and never had any problems with frame rates. Did a great job for me.

Absolutely fine. I guess depends on your needs, but I ran every game in 1440p, pretty healthy settings, and never had any problems with frame rates. Did a great job for me.

Ive got a 1080Ti as well (using the G9) and am running the games I mentioned a couple posts back at 1440p on fairly high settings. I haven’t looked at how many FPS I’m getting mostly because it seems just fine to me. Of course I’m sure the 3000x series will make it look even better, but I’m doing just fine for now.

Has anyone out there tried both a CRG9 and the G9 and are able to offer feedback? The G9 is on sale right now and I am questioning how much the upgrade is really worth...
It’s not really the upgrade you need to question it’s the power of your pc
If yours is the 5120x1440@120hz I wouldn’t really bother your paying for the curve unless you have some nasty pc to run more than 120fps ingame
ACC high settings I’m getting like 170fps with a 3090 card for example Ultra settings a little less but be silly if you have a 2080 or less you’ll never see those extra frames

Last edited:
8700k OC @ 5Ghz and a 3090 - I have the power. But I spend 95% of my race time in iRacing, where busy grids drop to 70fps. Could also upgrade my processor, but it is so hard to tell what the practical fps gain would actually be for such a spendy upgrade.

Something sounds off. Even if it were warm/hot, it shouldn't be that hot unless something inside the container is seriously wrong. Have you updated firmware? Also, what's your brightness/contrast setting?

Also, what is the ambient temperature in your home, do you have fans running, AC? Are you in a humid climate?

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I just caught this comment going back through the thread. I actually measured the heat coming off of my display today five minutes after a short race (15 minutes + qualifying and practice) using an IR temperature gun. The display was all in the 90-92 degree Fahrenheit range with no HDR and brightness at 45.

Can anyone advise....
So I'm using the 49 as my gaming monitor and want to set up a second screen for running desktop/browsing/web etc... is it just a case of plugging it in to the available DP port on the GPU and then PC will sort it out? :)

Can anyone advise....
So I'm using the 49 as my gaming monitor and want to set up a second screen for running desktop/browsing/web etc... is it just a case of plugging it in to the available DP port on the GPU and then PC will sort it out? :)
Pretty much yeah. You can then set which ever one you want to game on as the primary display in display properties. For example, I use a desktop setup for shooters etc so switch back and forth between it and the rig to suit.

Can anyone advise....

I made a video a while back to share some of the things I learned using my PC for both the sim rig and desktop gaming that might have some helpful info. My big concern is easing the time and effort to switch between the two. Hopefully there is something helpful in here for you:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 50 63.3%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 18 22.8%
Back