Sebastian Vettel

In every sport that I watch, I dont want the favourite to win. If it's football, I dont want United or Man City to win the Premier League, if it's snooker, I dont want Selby or Robertson to win a tournament because in my eyes, they are the favourites. And it's the same in Formula One. Vettel is the guy who has won the most in the last few years, so I'm hoping that he does not win any races or get any pole positions. Why? Because sport becomes tedious and boring when the same guy is winning all the time. He has won way too much, and fair play to him, but I lose interest when the same thing keeps happening over and over again, like in 2011.

The championship table is my main focus in race weekend's, because I want the closest championship battle as possible, just like the 2010 season. In Japan 2012, I was actually happy that Alonso crashed out in the first corner and Vettel won, because Alonso was far ahead in the standings at that time. Anyway I think you get my point..

I have only been able to follow F1 fully from 2010 onwards, and at the start of 2010, Vettel was my favourite driver believe it or not. But that changed during the season because of little incidents here and there which made me dislike him. In 2010, I thought Webber deserved the title, just my opinion and I can explain why if you want me to. In 2011, Vettel took pole in Australia by something like 7 tenths and his kers wasnt working? I mean come one.. that car was so dominant, and nobody could challenge him because the Red Bull was so much better than the others. Webber had the same car but he wasnt quick that year maybe because he prefers durable tyres like in 2010? I dont know.. And in 2012, Vettel wasnt the best driver that year. Hamilton and Alonso were better and deserved the title more IMO. Vettel won four races in a row when the calender came to Asia because the Red Bull became quicker with upgrades.

This year.. well he's looking like securing a 4th title isn't he? And I thought what he did was a bit dodgy in Malaysia. So yeah, he's not my favourite driver! I dont hate him or anything, and I think he's bloody quick, but I just dont want to see him win any more.

Reactions: Dux
As Hamilton said, "he´s had it easy"

Which is true since at least 2 of the years his only competitor has been Mark because the car sometimes was nearly a second clear of any other machine.

When/If he gets to drive a proper dog that´s when we´ll see the true Vettel.
Can he win races when the car isn´t supposed to do so?

Shane Butler in the beginning of his text wrote as i would have written for myself. I was like that, i always wanted for the weaker to win, it was more interesting for me to watch it. Whenever i started cheering someone he wasn't in top shape in the time or winning a lot.

For example, i went on for Schumacher just because my favorite color was blue, and he was in Benneton - light blue, then i was just a kid and watched a race or two under rare circumstances.
Vettel, it is a bit different for him, i heard how 15y old kid is damn fast and i wanted to see him in F1 and start winning and he did. I remember when i said to a friend of mine "Just imagine myself one day cheering for this kid!" My friend said "Well why not, he was driving karts in Kerpen, same as Michael" And that was it! I loved that fact, the rest is history.

Hampus Andersson, Hamilton said that and he forgot that while he was driving Mclaren Vettel was fighting for a seat in Toro Roso ?

And you, did you forget Monza 2008 ? China perhaps ... same year

Best position of Toro Roso even 6 years later!

It never gets old. Bourdais (such a brilliant driver, cough, cough) qualified 4th with that same TR in Monza 2008 (race day the car stalled on the grid and lost a lap).

If that is not an indication of how good that car was in the rain that day, I don't know what is.

Well first of all the STR was a Red Bull with a different livery back then. Designed by Newey.
Second of all you need to look at what really happened in Qualifying in Monza 08.

Kubica, Hamilton and Raikkonen started the race outside top 10. And not because they could not go faster.

This alone gave Vettel some headroom to not only take pole but also win the race since the guys with the fastest cars was stuck in the mid-field with all the spray etc.
And third, the STR in the rain was a bonkers car, as Alberto said.

Obviously it´s fantastic that he snatched the opportunity that was given to him and made the best out of the situation but Bourdais was lapping faster and Hamilton/Raikkonen was lapping some 2 seconds per lap quicker in traffic at many points in the race.

And i think you mean China 2007 and not 2008 where Vettel finished 9th while qualifying 8th.
Yea 2007 was a great performance but so was it from Liuzzi and Button.

All three started next to each other(10, 11, 12) and ended the race next to each other (4, 5, 6)

Let me give you an example of why it´s important to look at what really happened.

Silverstone 2008, Hamilton lapped everyone except the 2nd and 3rd place drivers and he lapped something like 5-6 seconds a lap faster then anyone at one point in the race.

Sounds pretty awesome right? Well if you watched the race you´ll see that a lot of things happened in the race which explains why he lapped nearly the whole field and why he was lapping so much quicker at one point in the race.

Still a very good performance but not really Senna-esque.

It never gets old. Bourdais (such a brilliant driver, cough, cough) qualified 4th with that same TR in Monza 2008 (race day the car stalled on the grid and lost a lap).

If that is not an indication of how good that car was in the rain that day, I don't know what is.

Vettel got pole, fastest lap, win
I dont care where his teammate was or finished :)
He won with a car that wasnt capable of winning nothing. It was only maybe on one race ? :) Maybe ...

In fact, why do u say that his teammate finished here or there?! All other Kimi Alonso Hamilton and Button won with cars that have DECADES of history and engines and are not driving on prev year engines and like i see it - just buying whole product - old product old machine just to participate.

What they did as a team was fantastic, what Vettel used was phenomenal!

Hampus Andersson, post: 1451210, member: 554"]Well first of all the STR was a Red Bull with a different livery back then. Designed by Newey.
Second of all you need to look at what really happened in Qualifying in Monza 08

I like ur text but this is not true .... Toro Roso might have been designed from Newey but was nothing close to Red Bull, in fact was even faster than the Red Bull which was 1st team. Red Bull became fast the time when Vettel joined :) Toro Roso used generation older ferrari engine and was backing for Red Bull. And Red Bull didnt manage to succeed in what Toro Roso was, simple, Toro Roso had Vettel.

Kubica, Hamilton and Raikkonen started the race outside top 10. And not because they could not go faster.Obviously it´s fantastic that he snatched the opportunity that was given to him and made the best out of the situation but Bourdais was lapping faster and Hamilton/Raikkonen was lapping some 2 seconds per lap quicker in traffic at many points in the race.

True but it wasnt someone else but Vettel who used that, and he used it well and didnt fail in the pressure, thats brilliant driving from him ...

Silverstone 2008, Hamilton lapped everyone except the 2nd and 3rd place drivers and he lapped something like 5-6 seconds a lap faster then anyone at one point in the race.

It was nice point i understood it but it wasnt the case with Vettel.

PS. It wasnt 2007 i said it right it was 2008 Chinese GP when Vettel finished 4th and his teammate finished 6th. The Scuderia Toro Roso was good but Vettel was faster, maybe twice younger yet than V.Luizzi and unexperienced.

In 2008 Sebastian Vettel won Italian Grand Prix in Monza while his teammate was lapped for 1 lap and finished 18th.

There is absolutely no space to think that he never proved himself with a slower car, he proved that much more than anyone else here today on the grid. All others won with cars that were very well established and wasnt driving for some "first" team...

MINARDI DNA :)

I like ur text but this is not true .... Toro Roso might have been designed from Newey but was nothing close to Red Bull, in fact was even faster than the Red Bull which was 1st team. Red Bull became fast the time when Vettel joined :) Toro Roso used generation older ferrari engine and was backing for Red Bull. And Red Bull didnt manage to succeed in what Toro Roso was, simple, Toro Roso had Vettel.

It is true. Both cars were designed by Adrian Newey and were more or less identical.
Yes they had different engines but aerodynamically the same car more or less.
And Toro Rosso only finished ahead of Red Bull Racing once. 10 points ahead in 2008.

No Red Bull became fast when the regulations changed.
The fact that you think Vettel made the team fast just clarifies how clouded your judgement are and in reality you are quite ignorant on the subject.

PS. It wasnt 2007 i said it right it was 2008 Chinese GP when Vettel finished 4th and his teammate finished 6th. The Scuderia Toro Roso was good but Vettel was faster, maybe twice younger yet than V.Luizzi and unexperienced.
WRONG.

Try and at least look up facts before spouting nonsense.

In 2008 Sebastian Vettel won Italian Grand Prix in Monza while his teammate was lapped for 1 lap and finished 18th.
no he STARTED his race one lap down.

I´m now 100% sure you did not watch the race.

Vettel got pole, fastest lap, win
I dont care where his teammate was or finished :)

In 2008 Sebastian Vettel won Italian Grand Prix in Monza while his teammatewas lapped for 1 lap and finished 18th.

It took you just one post to start caring!

Not only you are badly informed (the teammate started already with -1 lap, as I clearly said in the post that you quote!), you are self-contradicting, which is by far worse.

I am neither ignorant nor badly informed, i am following F1 since 98 and since then i have hardly missed a race and i respect ur opinion i just cannot accept it. Its a fact that i dont even know of V.Luizzi driving alogside Vettel cause basicly i didnt saw him that much important and for me thats nothing bad, i didnt even spot him, he won 6th or 7th so what?! Being badly informed is saying "Hamilton or Alonso lost the title in 2007". That happens very often. But winning its something very much different and it doesnt matter if u had not a car but a rocket, my oldest cousin once told, after i asked him or told him "How i hate when driver wins a Championship his prize is raised double, and if by yesterday he was barely no one now he is searched everywhere" and he replied to me "Being a Champion means you know how to win, how to control urself, how to be constant, how to win it! And they are rare!" :) Having said that, and definitly being a FACT i just cannot comprehend who you all put his success on the car :) which is not true, thats all i have to say. I am sorry if i said something bad towards any of u, but i didnt said anything that was not true, maybe was this or that maybe it was that they were ahead or not maybe regulations were changed, just maybe! But its not MAYBE when it comes down to the success. And F1 has no space for "maybe"
When something changes is changed for everyone. Some say Newey, where was Newey when Schumacher was killing everyone ? I say something u deny it u say its rubbish or i dont know what when its not like that at all

Just look backwards at 2011 when he had a truly fastest car, what happened then. And even having the best car, as he (Vettel) said, i cannot remember when the best drivers didnt ended in the best teams.

PS. I took me one post to reply but not to care

I cannot imagine how you can even say that Vettel never won with slower car :) or was GOOD with slower car, when in fact he did it with by far the slowest car from all drivers now around in that term.

no no, 2007 he was 4th

i must have mixed with something else :redface:
Race before in Fuji they had little collision - Webber & Vettel, both retired.

HAHAHAHA ccc i have mixed things for sure!

2008 he won Monza but it wasnt the Chinese GP in 2008 when he was 4th for sure...

My apologize

That´s just the tip of the iceberg of what you have mixed ;)

Except mixing 2007-2008 Chinese GP and position of Vettel i didnt missed anything else ;)

Vettel is an exceptional driver and that was shown since he joined F1, he proves that on track and i have nothing else to add on that :)

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%