Show us your Rig / Cockpit

@stigs2cousin Thanks for the input. I have looked at aluminium profile as well but it's more than double the price (perhaps even treble).

At work we use unistrut to mount cameras to sports venues, and we require absolute rigidity for that application. I'll use the 41x41 heavy duty strut that I've worked with before to be safe. I'd argue it's as future proof as aluminium profile as both can be bolted at any point. If you want to expand you just bolt another bit on wherever needed. There are also absolutely loads of accessories/different types of brackets for strut.

The main drawbacks I can foresee are weight (steel is heavier than aluminium) and this may dull the effect of a base shaker if I ever add one, aesthetics, and difficulty to cut if I need to adjust a length. My hope is by painting black and capping the ends it won't look too monstrous. I may need to buy a special saw blade to cut it though, so hoping if I get my measurements right on paper it won't be necessary.

Last edited:
Thanks @mechsicko that looks really nice. I'll also be putting a CSW2.5 on it. I'd not thought to combine with wood.

Think I might try and find some locking caster wheels for mine so that the frame doesn't sit on the ground and it's a bit easier to manoeuvre when I need to,

Last edited:
Sorry @danclark,
i was under the wrong impression you needed a "Lego type" simrig.
Since your are capable of fabrication and have experience with the material my conclusions go out of the window. :(

So, build yourself a unique rig outside the mainstream and have fun.
MFG Carsten

Lol, WOW! Not one, but 2 of Juliens wind kits, I didn't even realize you could double up on the aluminum collars like that. I checked your post history, do you have a build thread anywhere? Is that brake pressure gauge your own design?
I don’t have build thread. Yes that’s a pressure gauge of my B.J simracing pedals.
B020D968-A4EB-4707-B96B-7BBAF421C124.jpeg
24E3C12B-AC5F-4068-B7E0-4D0A8405FBE0.jpeg

7b8a8JC.jpg

I have both limited space and a limited budget, so have assembled this rig accordingly. A few of the clever touches include the monitor being mounted on the stand and positioned over the wheel, just 22" from my eyes, and the power seat, so I can adjust my seat position while racing and minimize any squirming or discomfort during longer races.

As part of my cable management strategy, I also used a length of a steel shelf-mounting post to cover / protect the USB and Display Port cables and then taped that to the carpeting using gaffer's tape so that no one trips over it ... works great, cost next to nothing, and can be quickly and easily removed without causing any damage to the carpeting!

In fact, except for the wheel, pedals and monitor, most of this rig cost me nothing, as I the already had all the scrap steel and aluminum I used to fabricate braces and brackets; the wheelstand was found in a neighbor's trash with minor damage, which I repaired, and the Porsche Cayman seat and rear wheel were being stored in my garage and are now being stored in my spare bedroom instead. :)

Last edited:
This is the third time I've posted up pictures of my rig, and this time it's the newest and probably the last upgrade of any consequence.
There is a backstory to this: until I gave up smoking six years ago I was using a G27 set. A year after managing to kick the habit ( I was doing a 30 pack a day, sometimes more ), I told my wife I was going to use the money that I used to smoke away ( around €200 a month then, much more now ) to upgrade my rig in stages.
I went from the G27 to a T300, and then a TS-PC. I upgraded the pedals first off to T3P Pro Pedals, and then to V3s.
And then I discovered VR. I started off with an Acer WMD headset, and then upgraded to a Rift S ( which I still have )
In 2016 I built a new gaming computer around an i5 6600K and a GTX 1080. In 2019 I built another one, around an i7 9700K , first of all with the GTX1080 carried over to the new build. A while ago I had stupid luck, and managed to find an RTX3080 ( for nearly a grand :( ), which I then used to upgrade my gaming rig to how it is in the picture.
In the last phase I replaced my GT Omega Art rig with a Sim Labs P1-X ( The Podium DD1 that I'd bought shortly before tied the GT Omega rig in knots :D )
Then I thought: now you have a DD wheel, what you really need is some Heusinkfeld pedals, and a nice Sparco seat, as my GT Omega one was split anyway, and was giving me backache after 3 years of hard service.
The whole project has taken nearly 5 years of buying, upgrading, selling the old stuff, rinse and repeat. You get the idea..:) now I'm not sure what to buy next....joking of course, I'm extremly happy with how it's turned out

Attachments

• IMG_02.jpg
    IMG_02.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 301
  • IMG_04.JPG
    IMG_04.JPG
    502.6 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_09.JPG
    IMG_09.JPG
    467.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_010.jpg
    IMG_010.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 352
  • IMG_011.jpg
    IMG_011.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 334
I think if I do that, my family will have me locked up and put away, as it is they make jokes about how it looks when I have the Rift S on, and that I drive with gloves on. A harness would be too much :D

Well, you managed to slowly train them to accept the progression so far.
If you really want it and go about the right way, you´ll manage the harness too. ;)

MFG Carsten

This is the third time I've posted up pictures of my rig, and this time it's the newest and probably the last upgrade of any consequence.
There is a backstory to this: until I gave up smoking six years ago I was using a G27 set. A year after managing to kick the habit ( I was doing a 30 pack a day, sometimes more ), I told my wife I was going to use the money that I used to smoke away ( around €200 a month then, much more now ) to upgrade my rig in stages.
I went from the G27 to a T300, and then a TS-PC. I upgraded the pedals first off to T3P Pro Pedals, and then to V3s.
And then I discovered VR. I started off with an Acer WMD headset, and then upgraded to a Rift S ( which I still have )
In 2016 I built a new gaming computer around an i5 6600K and a GTX 1080. In 2019 I built another one, around an i7 9700K , first of all with the GTX1080 carried over to the new build. A while ago I had stupid luck, and managed to find an RTX3080 ( for nearly a grand :( ), which I then used to upgrade my gaming rig to how it is in the picture.
In the last phase I replaced my GT Omega Art rig with a Sim Labs P1-X ( The Podium DD1 that I'd bought shortly before tied the GT Omega rig in knots :D )
Then I thought: now you have a DD wheel, what you really need is some Heusinkfeld pedals, and a nice Sparco seat, as my GT Omega one was split anyway, and was giving me backache after 3 years of hard service.
The whole project has taken nearly 5 years of buying, upgrading, selling the old stuff, rinse and repeat. You get the idea..:) now I'm not sure what to buy next....joking of course, I'm extremly happy with how it's turned out
Obviously you need wind & shakers :geek:

Reactions: CC
7b8a8JC.jpg

I have both limited space and a limited budget, so have assembled this rig accordingly. A few of the clever touches include the monitor being mounted on the stand and positioned over the wheel, just 22" from my eyes, and the power seat, so I can adjust my seat position while racing and minimize any squirming or discomfort during longer races.

As part of my cable management strategy, I also used a length of a steel shelf-mounting post to cover / protect the USB and Display Port cables and then taped that to the carpeting using gaffer's tape so that no one trips over it ... works great, cost next to nothing, and can be quickly and easily removed without causing any damage to the carpeting!

In fact, except for the wheel, pedals and monitor, most of this rig cost me nothing, as I the already had all the scrap steel and aluminum I used to fabricate braces and brackets; the wheelstand was found in a neighbor's trash with minor damage, which I repaired, and the Porsche Cayman seat and rear wheel were being stored in my garage and are now being stored in my spare bedroom instead. :)
When you think you've seen it all :) this is great !

Here is my ever evolving Ferrari rig. T300 with various wheels, two full keyboards, two 9 keys, two cell phone screens, Tablet screen, 49" widescreen agon monitor, thrustmaster H pattern shifter, TLCM Pedals, six speaker surround and more USB hubs than I care to count. Rig Is custom made based on a set of plans I downloaded on the web. cut out of 3/4" MDF. Seat is just a cheap one that I modified from JEGS until I find a better one that sits F1 style

Attachments

• 20210206_165823.jpg
    20210206_165823.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 248
When you think you've seen it all :) this is great !

I initially planned to use the wheel as a temporary base, so I could determine how high a proper base should be.

Then I noticed the lug at the rear of the seat rails fit neatly into the recess between the wheel rim and the tire-saver band on the sidewall and the angled bracket at the front of the seat of rail was angled so that it almost exactly matched the angle of the sidewall where it made contact.

Together, the lugs and brackets mechanically lock the seat into place without making any contact with the wheel, preventing it from being cosmetically damaged. And since the weight of the seat and wheel / tire combo together is approx. 115 lbs, it doesn't move at all, even when I stand on the brake pedal.

And as if all that wasn't enough of an omen, the wheel put the seat at exactly the correct height for the driving position I prefer ... a win-win all around!

That said, I probably will fabricate a proper base for the seat at some point. But for now, this works so well, I'm in no hurry to do so, especially as I'll have to spend some money buying the materials I'll need for the base, whereas this combination cost me nothing except the effort required to move them from the garage into the spare bedroom. :)

Last edited:
I don’t have build thread. Yes that’s a pressure gauge of my B.J simracing pedals.
View attachment 445170View attachment 445171
this looks monster, I just clicked on that thread and got to page one where sombody posted his "rig" in 2007 then clicked on the last page to see that hightech rig, no one will ever thought in 2007 that it gone that far for private users I guess. really impressive evolution :)

Well, you managed to slowly train them to accept the progression so far.
If you really want it and go about the right way, you´ll manage the harness too. ;)

MFG Carsten
A harness is pointless without a shaker system, and that isn't possible because of the position that my chassis is in. It's stuck right in the corner of the room, between the door and the wall. There is no room anywhere else, and I need to be able to move it out of the corner now and again to adjust things, or to hoover the carpet. That's why I have it on lockable castor wheels, you can't really see them very well in the pictures. Maybe I'll mount a fan though, I'll have to see how hot it gets in summer :)

The is contrary to my experience. Harness tensioning helps feed back braking intensity,
and separately tensioning left and right shoulder straps usefully suggests cornering forces,
even when using an office chair and wheel stand.
Ok, you've stirred my curiosity: how do you anchor the belts without a floor or a roll cage?
I'm only familiar with 4 or 5 strap belts in real life racing, as I remember they're anchored to a bar between the roll cage uprights behind the seat, and to the floor. I suppose I could drill the floor tiles to accept anchor points...no...wait, I forgot about my wife.. :D

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 52 9.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 33 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.3%