Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Harness is anchored by bolts beneath the seat.

Actually, even in real race cars, harnesses should be anchored to seats;
if a seat tears loose in a crash, want occupant held to seat, rather than e.g. strangled.

In real race cars, both the harness and seat are attached to the roll cage, as racing seats are nowhere near strong enough to provide proper support for a harness. In fact, I'm not aware of any sanctioning body that allows harnesses to be attached to the seat.

And the shoulder part of a harness is always attached to a harness bar that's built-into the roll cage and located at or slightly below shoulder level, not the floor, as suggested in another post in this thread.

This reduces the compression load applied to the driver's spine as the harness is tensioned when their body moves forward.

4-point belts are so 90ties :cool:

In every racing series not open for street cars ( we have one of those on the Nordschleife, the name is GLP, but its not about topspeed but consistency) its 6point belts and HANS today.

And as stated above the (containment) seat and belt mountings are usually integrated into the
crash cell of the car. These are integral part of the chassis and weldet in at multiple points contrary to a rollcage that can be bolted in.

It´s true that head and neck injuries have been happening more often but thats because of the higher speeds and stiffer crash cells, especially a problem in rally sports.
Thats why HANS sytems are mandatory in all of professionel racing.

MFG Carsten

In every racing series not open for street cars ( we have one of those on the Nordschleife, the name is GLP, but its not about topspeed but consistency) its 6point belts and HANS today.

And as stated above the (containment) seat and belt mountings are usually integrated into the
crash cell of the car. These are integral part of the chassis and weldet in at multiple points contrary to a rollcage that can be bolted in.

It´s true that head and neck injuries have been happening more often but thats because of the higher speeds and stiffer crash cells, especially a problem in rally sports.

MFG Carsten
My RL racing experience was garnered in the 70ties, I'm now 67. Most of my experience is from 250 class motorbikes. We had a helmet, leather gloves and overalls, and racing boots held together with gaffer tape (at least mine were) Kidney protectors? Knee protectors? Er, what? :)
How things have changed...

Last edited:

MFG Carsten

4 point harness for me in our track car.

I heard the scare stories of testicle damage in accidents, I think the medical term is degloved. So I decided to avoid and stick with 4 point, should provide enough safety for our limited track use

Last edited:
Harness is anchored by bolts beneath the seat.

Actually, even in real race cars, harnesses should be anchored to seats;
if a seat tears loose in a crash, want occupant held to seat, rather than e.g. strangled.

Um. No. Anchoring to the seat is expressly forbidden by every sanctioning body I'm aware of. Shoulder harnesses are required to be anchored to the main hoop cross bar (as shown above). Lap belts and sub belts must either anchor to the cage or to the body with 4" diameter 1/8" steel plate / hardened steel washers. Mounting hardware must be grade 6+.

Both the seat and the driver are held in place by the belts.

Looks like a Ferrari to me ;)

Decals arrived.
RZeC2Hq.jpg

0MGUHKf.jpg

Um. No. Anchoring to the seat is expressly forbidden by every sanctioning body I'm aware of. Shoulder harnesses are required to be anchored to the main hoop cross bar (as shown above). Lap belts and sub belts must either anchor to the cage or to the body with 4" diameter 1/8" steel plate / hardened steel washers. Mounting hardware must be grade 6+.

Both the seat and the driver are held in place by the belts.
You are of course right.And what makes it
difficult to do it with a sim Rig anyway is that the straps should, indeed must, be mounted with shallow angles to the seat. I remember the shoulder straps are not allowed to have an installation angle of less than 40 degrees, l'm forgotten what the angles for the other straps should be, it's over 30 years since I was actively involved.
For me, I've decided against it anyway, my Sparco Evo seat is stiff enough to not move when I brake. And I have Heusinkfeld Pedals on the stiffest setting as I mostly drive LMP2, with occasionally some GT cars.

Last edited:
You are of course right.And what makes it
difficult to do it with a sim Rig anyway is that the straps should, indeed must, be mounted with shallow angles to the seat. I remember the shoulder straps are not allowed to have an installation angle of less than 40 degrees, l'm forgotten what the angles for the other straps should be, it's over 30 years since I was actively involved.

But there’s nothing to stop a support being placed behind the seat to create that shallow angle and then allow the belt to run down to the floor.
That way you can create the correct load path off your shoulders without a massive anchoring structure behind your seat.

But there’s nothing to stop a support being placed behind the seat to create that shallow angle and then allow the belt to run down to the floor.
That way you can create the correct load path off your shoulders without a massive anchoring structure behind your seat.
That's true, but I 'd still be belting myself into an object that doesn't actually move, or go anywhere...:) :)

The solution is obvious. Just build a motion platform then you can justify your belts :p
As I already explained earlier in the thread, my rig is installed very tightly in a corner of the room, as you can see in the pictures I posted. A motion platform makes it pretty immobile. I have to be able to move it for adjustments and cleaning, that'd why it's mounted on castor wheels.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.7%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.3%