PC2 Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg

First day back in the office for many this morning, what better way to pass the time than have a good discussion about the new Project CARS game?

Now the dust is beginning to settle around the recent release of Project CARS 2, we thought it a good time to look deeper into the game, driven by our community, and share our findings and impressions from the heavily hyped new racing title from Slightly Mad Studios.

Do you have some useful tips for getting the most from the sim? Found a magic setting to really unlock the FFB? Got a trick up your sleeve that helps bring sharper graphics for little FPS trade off? Or do you simply want to share your most / least favourite car and track combinations?

So long as it remains on topic, respectful and mature, we want to know your thoughts!

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2.jpg

I think maybe the joke went over your head, perhaps a language issue? I'll try again.

1. Not saying it's unrealistic, presumably you were doing the right speed to achieve the 2 wheel lift.
2. I AM saying that what iRacing did was unrealistic (arcade) for a bit of a joke. They had a bug that meant that at low temperatures, even at very low speeds, cars were doing that, and flipping.

Maybe humour just doesn't work on the internet when everyone has varying levels of English and you don't have visual (body language etc) and audio (tone) cues.

I m loving it lately. I went straight to career mode. Formula rookie was prettty bad but the next category with the caterham SP/300 is great.
However I just tried an invitational event at Silverstone national with the McLaren F1 and XJ220. Heavy rain and puddles everywhere made it unplayable. Those puddles are a nightmare. It s like hitting a wall followed by being kicked sideways on an ice cube. Is this just me or a shared experience with puddles?

• Deleted member 99238

Those puddles are a nightmare. It s like hitting a wall followed by being kicked sideways on an ice cube. Is this just me or a shared experience with puddles?
Starting to drive in PC2, I started to love night and rain races more.
There should not be any blows in the puddle. You should feel a strong resistance to the wheels and drive to the side of the car. Only your sense of the car will help not to go into a skid.

There should not be any blows in the puddle. You should feel a strong resistance to the wheels and drive to the side of the car. Only your sense of the car will help not to go into a skid.
Ok I guess I have no sense of the car then. But seriously I d be amazed to see someone keep the Mclaren F1 in check while going through all these puddles. I was literally driving with 10-20% throttle maximum and still having the car slide uncontrollably. And there is a blow for each puddle followed by some serious aquaplanning. Much worse than ice.
The fact that there was no world record on that event with that car during the loading screen allowed me to think it was indeed unplayable..

I love night racing, and rain, but i do feel when its pouring rain, you still have a bit to much grip. Doesn't feel like the track is getting slick..

• Deleted member 99238

But seriously I d be amazed to see someone keep the Mclaren F1 in check while going through all these puddles. I was literally driving with 10-20% throttle maximum and still having the car slide uncontrollably. And there is a blow for each puddle followed by some serious aquaplanning. Much worse than ice.
I just tried to drive to Mclaren F1 in a heavy rain with puddles. Yes, when hit in a puddle at a speed, the car begins to lose control and in general in the rain the car is poorly controlled. I can explain this to those for Mclaren F1 there is no rain tires as well as in the whole class of Road C. Try to drive in the same conditions on a GT3 class car that has rain tires and there are no problems.

I m loving it lately. I went straight to career mode. Formula rookie was prettty bad but the next category with the caterham SP/300 is great.
However I just tried an invitational event at Silverstone national with the McLaren F1 and XJ220. Heavy rain and puddles everywhere made it unplayable. Those puddles are a nightmare. It s like hitting a wall followed by being kicked sideways on an ice cube. Is this just me or a shared experience with puddles?
Yes the puddles in PC2 are very unrealistic.

I never drove through puddles or deep water that had such an effect in a real car (and we have our fair share of flooding in the rainy season here in Shanghai).

Puddles in PC2 seem to have skid plates installed in every one of them.
When entering the puddle the initial effect seems believable but no matter how slow you move through them once your rear tires enter the puddle the vehicle receives a violent jolt sideways for absolutely no reason and looses control.

In a real puddle the car (when cruising without force input to the wheels) will remain in its direction of travel, it will be slowed down by the puddle and when Aquaplaning is in effect steering input will have reduced to no effect. Should you provide force to the driven wheels the car will drift (not jolt or veer) gently.

Only if in such a situation you apply throttle or especially breaks and the car is on mixed surfaces with part of the wheels on grippy, part on slippery surfaces the car will have a violent reaction similar as it is portrayed in PC2.

I hope they will fix this behavior and I truly hope the current behavior is just a bug and not a canned standard trick to throw your car sideways when rolling through a puddle.

• Deleted member 99238

In fact, it's all about tires. Puddles and wet asphalt here is not necessary. Try to drive on hard slicks in the storm and then on the rain tires and you will understand everything.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%