Some wip projects

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
battle1989.jpg

?
Am quite happy with the track lighting with 2010 light settings and no shadowboxes.
But it might all depend a little on monitor (Settings)?
I try in every way to add just a little bit more realistic look, and in real life areas hit by sun light gets a little but yellow tint and things in shadow gets a blue/purple tint.
I try to simulate this by making the ambient light lightly blue and direct light slightly yellow.
It works quite well, but I liked it to be better reflected from the track materials.
This is obviously not the best way to do it, materials should just reflect light in different ways, not tint it unless it is a pure metal, but I thought it was worth a test.

Still hope to find the perfect combination of materials + lights + textures, something that works for almost all types of track materials, but I am far from that right now.
I lack both the knowledge of exactly how materials behave in the game and in reality, and the artistic skill.

I would like to find a way to get some of this beautiful sun reflection from the track materials :roflmao:

1626644587623.png

I would like to find a way to get some of this beautiful sun reflection from the track materials
It it for the most only the road that is using specular shader in Race 07 and Gtr2 tracks.
While GTL for the most are using specular shaders for grass. But that doesn't really works for multi texture grass.
in real life areas hit by sun light gets a little but yellow tint and things in shadow gets a blue/purple tint.
I try to simulate this by making the ambient light lightly blue and direct light slightly yellow.
Doesn't that depend on sun angle and if you look into or away from the direct sunlight.
And the light model in gmotor2 games are a bit limited.

But hope you success in making it better!

It it for the most only the road that is using specular shader in Race 07 and Gtr2 tracks.
While GTL for the most are using specular shaders for grass. But that doesn't really works for multi texture grass.

Doesn't that depend on sun angle and if you look into or away from the direct sunlight.
And the light model in gmotor2 games are a bit limited.

But hope you success in making it better!
Yes, it should be more of the effect the lower the sun is. The longer distance sun light travels through the air, the more blue light from the sun should be reflected to the sky.:thumbsup:

Just thinking, why is Race 07 categorized as "other racing game" when gtr2, rfactor and automobilista are "sim racing games" in this forum? Is it considered less "sim", or is it because they consider it less played and therefore less prioritized?
Of course it was the original multiplayer sim used in RD clubs and leagues so although there's a great affection for it RaceRoom replaced it as the touring car game.
If player numbers were the criteria then Euro and America Truck Simulator would be on the front page.
For whatever reason Race07 never garnished the kudos of GTR2 or the others and with many features reduced from GTR2 seemed like a step back at the time. I always liked it and as you know still play regularly, mostly using your mods.
But it is very much a niche title within a niche genre, I don't care where it is on the RD site just as long as it remains on my hard drive.:)

No, not when it last 5 days!
But I bet I could sleep through most of it :roflmao:

With tea breaks :laugh:
Maybe you've got to have played it to appreciate it, although it's over 60 years since I last padded up I still remember how it was. A sandwich and a cuppa were one of the extra delights.
You know people mock us for watching cars go round a track again and again. :whistling:

Yes all sports can be considered silly in some way, my grandmother always said 'can't they have one ball each and stop chasing that ball' when there was a football game on tv. But what life would that be?
Anywhay you got to love that there still are some really oldschool things left (with tea breaks)! :laugh:

Some other 'jolly good' sport(s)
Road bowling
Cheese rolling
Horse polo

Also had to add an honorable swedish sport:

Last edited:
had to add an honorable swedish sport
That looks like fun and I would have a go, I suppose my equivalent would have been Subbuteo or table cricket.
Good job nowadays all my sports can be played on my computer.

Yes all sports can be considered silly in some way, my grandmother always said 'can't they have one ball each and stop chasing that ball' when there was a football game on tv.
My wife doesn't get Motorsport or any others but she's a tennis fanatic, strange.
Anyway I suppose we'd better not derail the thread, you know what these RD mods are like.:rolleyes:

Next thing for me: shaders.

With the help of @Bjarne Hansen I have started editing and programming shaders.
Hard to see here, but the tents have a fresnel effect (the real effect that increases reflections when viewing a surface from a big angle).

In this picture the sides of the roofs are brighter, not from sun light, but from viewing angle. Of course the effect is very exaggerated, it should hardly be noticeable at all on such a non reflective material, but the good thing is that I have added it to the standard 1 texture diffuse. Usually this effect is only applied to car specific shaders and only to the cubemap as far as I can tell.

1627487676883.png

Almost all materials in this picture are wrong in some way or another, this is my research track.

Hopefully I can one day add a complete Race 07 world shader pack, using as few different shaders as possible, as few settings as possible, and as close to physics based shaders as possible.
The principle is:
Light strength should only be changed from the light source, not in the materials.
More material roughness = less reflection = less fresnel.

But it is a long journey to get there.

Nothing extraordinary, but now the sun light hits the surfaces in a better way I think (road, armcos, starting lights, grass and the grandstand concrete materials are still standard).
Still only working with the diffuse 1 texture material, but I have added specular light too.

The idea is to set good standard values for lights and reflections, and then make similar materials that can be tweaked using different map textures. I think 2 or 3 materials (one with bump, one for water and glass etc) should be enough for tracks. The key should be that the materials should behave the same way.

1627502586841.png

Last edited:
This is what the track looks like for the moment, using the same "base" for all materials.
Some more balancing is still needed (looks too desaturated, but I should also have a look at the textures), but the good thing is that the cars and the track materials match each others in style and reflection.

I have added "all" the effects, textures (obviously), diffuse, specular and fresnel as a base to the edited materials, and are controlled from textures in the more detailed materials.

This work builds upon the shader work of Bjarne and the idea that the materials should behave more in the same way.
In the standard shaders, each shader is very different in its behavour, and needs it own settings and balancing.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%