Vanilla Balance Mod Beta - Testers Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
This mod has now been released. All the changes are listed in the above link. If a Forum Admin is reading this, if you could remove the "Testers Wanted" and change it to "Development Discussion" thread, it would be appreciated.

UPDATED TO WORK WITH 1.3

Note: In attempts to fix the interviews and dilemmas, I have temporarily removed all non English languages from those two files. I hope to reinsert them into a later version (but when I do, they'll still be the vanilla text as I am unable to translate in any other language).

Last edited:
It's something I'll look into when it happens as I do my current play-through - its hard to force and thus, test a VSC extensively so I'll look at is as and when it comes up.

Looking at the pictures, the entire field bunched up by about 15seconds total - so I wonder if different cars are put under the VSC at different rates, I.e., those closest to the accident are notified first like yellow flag behaviour? Or maybe its because of "car AI scan". You see, cars don't continuously process their strategies - that would be a lot of processing. So they only adjust their push/fuel/pit behavour when they hit a refresh timer. - Maybe they don't obey the VSC until the refresh its.

Anyway, it's not something I'll get to work on, but I will be on the lookout to see if I can work out whats going on when I see it.

No problem I'd thought I'd mention it to put it on your radar. if you want me to keep posting examples i can do.

Ok, I've had it with the personality traits. I've had dodgy neck happen 4 times in 3 seasons with 3 different drivers and this random garbage just ruining the game for me. I'd love to remove 90% of this junk mechanic and strip back to just pure driver stats vs stats.

I've looked at the personality traits.txt file in resources.assets and opened with notepad++ but it's difficult to read when there's so much ,,,,, in the files. Is there a way I can make it into a table/columns to see which numbers relate to the parameters easier? And is it as simple as just editing this and importing into the game and it's done? Thanks.

Ok, I've had it with the personality traits. I've had dodgy neck happen 4 times in 3 seasons with 3 different drivers and this random garbage just ruining the game for me. I'd love to remove 90% of this junk mechanic and strip back to just pure driver stats vs stats.

I've looked at the personality traits.txt file in resources.assets and opened with notepad++ but it's difficult to read when there's so much ,,,,, in the files. Is there a way I can make it into a table/columns to see which numbers relate to the parameters easier? And is it as simple as just editing this and importing into the game and it's done? Thanks.

I change it from a .txt to a .csv and open it in excel,mthough excel has issues with the multiple """" strings in the description column.

Alternative,y, you could just delete everything other then line 1, if you don't like the trait feature to remove it completely. Or input the original vanilla one back in. If you're going to mod it case by case, I recommending opening your own thread.

Last edited:
I change it from a .txt to a .csv and open it in excel,mthough excel has issues with the multiple """" strings in the description column.

Alternative,y, you could just delete everything other then line 1, if you don't like the trait feature to remove it completely. Or input the original vanilla one back in. If you're going to mod it case by case, I recommending opening your own thread.

Thanks for the help! Gonna have a go at tweaking the traits to something more to my liking. One thing I'm not sure of is in the length column most of the temp traits have xnumber-xnumber of weeks I'd assume, but some have something like 2/4/2017 or 8/16/2017 and can't figure out the meanings of these.

Thanks for the help! Gonna have a go at tweaking the traits to something more to my liking. One thing I'm not sure of is in the length column most of the temp traits have xnumber-xnumber of weeks I'd assume, but some have something like 2/4/2017 or 8/16/2017 and can't figure out the meanings of these.
I direct you to the post above yours - this thread is about a balance mod... not step-by-step modding advice..

Last edited:
Hi everybody, hope you all do well. As for me, thanks for asking I am fine too.

First; the mysterious Feedback +1 when in Practice problem that I told you a few days ago happens in Vanilla too, so it's not a bug for this mod specifically (I don't know if its a bug at all). I tried latest Vanilla, 1.2 h, 1.2 g and 1.2 f fixed; it happened in all of them. Started approximately 50 new games to test it.

If the Drivers Feedback Skill Progression is %50 or higher just before race, his Feedback skill gets +1. So how is your games.

Second; nothing major but a small weirdness. When I was testing for first problem I saw this.

Modded Start.jpg

And this is from Vanilla version.

Vanilla Start.jpg

As you see the team orders 5-6 / 8-9 are change. Does it cause a problem, I don't think so, just wanted to share it and see how are your games.

Last edited:
Hello, brief question about "-5% Performance Decay". Does player still has +35 Performance Boost" on the base stat of new parts with every new season, or this bonus removes AND player recieve additional decay? I mean if in 1st season player's new performance part will be (for example) 100 (base stat)+35(boost) =135, then in 2nd season performance will be 100(base) - 5%(decay) = 95? Or 100 (base) +35(boost) -5%(decay) = 128.25?

The +35 performance boost is only on the beginning of a new game or the season you transfer to a new team. After that season you loose that +35 performance boost and get - 5% performance decay.

New game or season that you transfer to a new team: 200 + 35 = 235
Every other season 200 - 10 (because of the %5 performance decay) = 190

Hello, brief question about "-5% Performance Decay". Does player still has +35 Performance Boost" on the base stat of new parts with every new season, or this bonus removes AND player recieve additional decay? I mean if in 1st season player's new performance part will be (for example) 100 (base stat)+35(boost) =135, then in 2nd season performance will be 100(base) - 5%(decay) = 95? Or 100 (base) +35(boost) -5%(decay) = 128.25?

The +35 performance boost is only on the beginning of a new game or the season you transfer to a new team. After that season you loose that +35 performance boost and get - 5% performance decay.

New game or season that you transfer to a new team: 200 + 35 = 235
Every other season 200 - 10 (because of the %5 performance decay) = 190

Yep, this is basically the effect.

However, I've been playing with different amounts in different places in the last couple of versions.

I think at the moment the player gets -25 and the AI get +10... which is still a 35 difference but less obvious in season 1/when switching teams (knowing all your parts gave +35 additionally looked weird). But now I've tripled designer bonuses, the player is less likely to see their -25 bit, (it's cancelled out by a designer having a stat of 8.4 in that area.

So season 1
200 + 10 = 210
Plus your designer boost 0-60
Season 2
200 - 25 - 10 = 165
(The -10 is 5% of 200... it does not include the -25 adjustments).
Plus your designer boost 0-60

It's still all there and working. Different placement, identical effect. I'm still experimenting to see which fits best.

It really should be pointed out, that having a great designer is amazing now.

Last edited:
Was anything ever adjusted for the qualifying mini game to make it more worth while.

Cause I thought there was but can't find anything in the patch notes.

What do you mean worth while?

I've fixed the track rubbering in, making the cars go faster at the end of a dry session, but that's in my own game, I've not released it yet.

It has been quite cool. I got 2 points for the fastest lap of the race with this feature once, despite not having the quickest car, as I did my last stint in the softest compound while the AI went on the medium compound.

What do you mean worth while?

i referring to making it actually matter getting prefect - prefect in the mini game by having it give greater gains as to overheated - overheated.

so if in vanilla
driver A - gets prefect - prefect- completes Q lap gets +2 performance on laptime
and same driver Q lap 2 (all over things being equal) gets Overheated - Overheated then -2 on performance
so a spread of 4 from +2 to -2

any chance of making that spread larger in in the mod?
therefore making it more important and vital to get a good result in the minigame

edit: I've no idea if this is how the game handles this mechanic this way, was just my best way to explain my thinking.

i referring to making it actually matter getting prefect - prefect in the mini game by having it give greater gains as to overheated - overheated.

so if in vanilla
driver A - gets prefect - prefect- completes Q lap gets +2 performance on laptime
and same driver Q lap 2 (all over things being equal) gets Overheated - Overheated then -2 on performance
so a spread of 4 from +2 to -2

any chance of making that spread larger in in the mod?
therefore making it more important and vital to get a good result in the minigame

edit: I've no idea if this is how the game handles this mechanic this way, was just my best way to explain my thinking.

There's an easy variable to make it really important... but I know not what the AI handle it... do the AI always have perfect? Does the AI always do the poorest? The answer to that question is very important before you make the Perfect/Poorest gap bigger - and it's not something I've tested yet. Could give it a go though.

The AI are incredibly hit-and-miss in quali. As a human, I can reliably hit the green areas, but it seems the AI are slightly off more often than not, which would give the human player a sizeable advantage.

The good news is, thanks to Enzoli, I can now alter
  • Trait descriptions - this allows me to redefine the traits I've changed a lot more. E.g., Dodgy Neck and its description can now be altered to explain the larger duration and debuf. In addition, it's likely new traits can now be added. I can probably fix the new ones bought in by 1.2 vanilla which are causing string errors.
  • Chassis descriptions - I've found the pace to change the Tyre Wear, Tyre Heating and Fuel Efficency to their new names, to reflect their new features.
  • Component slots - I can now alter the descriptions. So my +10 redzone will now be stated in the slot where applicable. I can also alter the components stats now - as I can now alter their corresponding text so the changes are told to the player. I expect I may desire to make lots of new ones too if possible. So expect component slots to get a large balance upgrade - and changes to the tech decay and tech boosts.
I'll be working on these bit by bit and won't rush these. I'll probably be looking to release these for the February patch update.

Okay... new vanilla patch is released with the steam workshop....

• A team’s fan base will now increase when that team is performing better than expected.
  • AI cars that have experienced a part failure mid race will now correctly return to their garage.
  • Drivers that should perform better when pushing for the lead will now correctly experience a boost.
  • Fix to unlocalised driver personality traits.

Looks like I don't have to program some fixes which I would have had to recreate.

Anyway, expect my current mod to be incompatible with the new patch. Allow me the week to see what's new with the update and slowly implement my changes.

Also....

Looks like if you use my mod as a base...

YOU CAN INSTALL WORKSHOP MODS ONTOP OF MINE AND BE FULLY COMPATABLE! :D

My mod uses more then the released workshop stuff though, so I will have to continue to keep this mod outside the workshop. I mod assets which you can't in the workshop, and of course, the workshop doesn't allow for .dll sharing

Honestly I want this mod mostly for the 8 political votes a season rather than 4 as that's my favourite part of the game and I want more of it.

I was wondering if there was a way I could pick and chose elements of this mod to put into my game as I already enjoy the game and am skeptical over whether I need to actually change anything much to enjoy it more? I also wondered if I can simply uninstall this mod and return to playing the game as it is, if I were to not enjoy the mod?

Sorry, I'm very much a noob at this sort of stuff.

I was also tempted to install the 2016 mod but may now wait for equivalents to be put into the steam workshop to download for myself, as it seems easier? I know that's unrelated but just reinforcing my level of knowledge on this for you haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 278 36.8%
  • Porsche

Votes: 289 38.2%
  • BMW

Votes: 272 36.0%
  • McLaren

Votes: 177 23.4%
  • Toyota

Votes: 283 37.4%
  • Intel

Votes: 94 12.4%