Was Ocon to Blame for Verstappen Accident?

I get tired of this idea that people should jump out of the way of the race leaders. Formula 1 is already too '2 tier' without forcing drivers to be in separate races to each other. Dealing with lapped cars is just as much a part of racing and should require great racecraft, not blue flags.

Ocon was on fresh tires, lapping 0.5s quicker - why the hell shouldn't he unlap himself and make something of the rest of his race? Verstappen, once again, showed his immaturity, both on and off the track :rolleyes:

Should be renamed Formula V
Just guess what that means, I don’t want to tickle the mods.

1.Ocon stupid move
2. MV not a smart move
3. After race tête-à-tête - boys will be boys, but this is Formula V - no balls.

10s penalty for ocon?1-4 races dq and 100000$ fines would be right.FIA and judges what is the problem?bad rules, boring races,no overtaking expect few places and of course this french kamikaze ocons overtake against leading car when he is lapped. where is penalty for hamilton and vettel...qualify...punch of rich ...................

toto give the order to ocon no doubt and i´m austrian, and i like toto 2or3 year ago, but he turned to and total as****

and FIA are Mercedes fanboys i belive

"Max Verstappen will be required to take part in two days of ‘public service’ at the direction of the FIA following his angry post-race confrontation with Force India’s Esteban Ocon in Brazil.

The incident, which saw the Red Bull driver push Ocon during a tense exchange in the FIA garage, followed a clash between the two men on Lap 44 of the race, during which backmarker Ocon tagged race leader Verstappen into a costly spin that ultimately lost the Dutchman the race.

Following a similarly tense war of words in television interviews, both Ocon, who finished 15th after serving a stop-go penalty, and Verstappen, who finished second behind Lewis Hamilton, were called before the stewards to explain their ‘physical contact’, with the stewards also reviewing CCTV footage from within the garage.

Ultimately it was decided that Verstappen had “started an altercation” before “pushing or hitting Ocon forcefully several times in the chest” – actions that were deemed inappropriate for a sportsman and role model of the Dutchman’s stature.

“The Stewards understood from Max Verstappen that he was extremely upset by the incident on track during the race and accepted his explanation that it was not his original intent to strike Ocon, but that he was “triggered” and caused him to lose his temper,” read the official stewards verdict.

“While sympathetic to Verstappen’s passion, the Stewards determined that it is the obligation of sportsmen at this level to act appropriately and as role models to other drivers at all levels and found that Verstappen failed in this respect.”

Verstappen is required to perform the days of public service within the next six months."

:thumbsup:

No, because as the rule states "If your faster than a car that has lapped you, you can then unlap yourself" that is what ocon did. There wouldnt have been any kind of collision if max had just relaxed given ocon the room on the inside, as he would have done with any other car.

No, because as the rule states "If your faster than a car that has lapped you, you can then unlap yourself" that is what ocon did. There wouldnt have been any kind of collision if max had just relaxed given ocon the room on the inside, as he would have done with any other car.

Indeed, like five times world champion states to Max. "You had it all"

Yep great video - and written up by the excellent Andrew Benson over on the BBC

Andrew Benson said:
But in the green room before the podium, Hamilton suggested the incident was not quite so clear-cut.

He told Verstappen that Ocon had the right to unlap himself. Verstappen agreed, yet added: "But you can't crash into the leader, who's not doing anything crazy."

Hamilton's response? "You had more to lose than he did. He had nothing to lose."

Verstappen was briefly lost for words. This sounded very much like advice from someone he can not help but admire and respect.

Hamilton's view is where moral correctness and racing judgement diverge. And, some would say, that's the difference between a five-time world champion of 12 years' experience and a brilliantly talented but occasionally rash 20-year-old who still sees the world very much in black and white.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46174973

Ocon - "I overtook 7 times into Turn 2 this race, it was always tight but always fair...". And then he tried to overtake Verstappen :rolleyes:

I have seen this so many times, it cannot be coincidence. Drivers overtaking at a certain place on the track, both being respectful of each each, providing close, clean, fair, exciting racing. And then Verstappen's ego gets in the way. So many times.

He will either grow up, or fade away.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 301 34.8%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 243 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 161 18.6%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.7%
  • At a friends house